• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are P's stronger than J's....

juggernaut

Permabanned
Because if you end up sick, crippled, or dead as a result of the erroneous belief that you are somehow above the laws of nature, you're no longer strong on any account.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you want to carry the metaphor all the way, I'd say that Ps have more raw strength, but Js have more endurance.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
P's are strong in adapting and reacting. Weak in planning.
J's are the opposite.

I admire the strengths of strong J's. Though, being a P, I just want to corral a few to form Voltron.
That is a good way to simplify it. There is a way to make plans that are flexible in some cases - or to have enough contingency plans to account for nearly every possible outcome. There is a way to bridge the two, I think. Two opposite processes to bridge the two which would perhaps suggest either a P or J initial orientation. One is elaboration by forming many contingency plans. The second is to boil the planning process down to its bare elements so it is easily reapplied in various contexts. This is often done by observing natural processes. Perhaps even these two processes can be combined to have a core of principles that can be reapplied joined with a preview of those scenarios and a sketchy reapplication in many contexts (interrelated contingency plans). Yay!

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm still doing the no sleep thing. I'm happy with it. :tongue:

Yup, people think I look like a youngin.

Incidentally, we are stronger because maneuvering through our messes keeps us nibble.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, Ps are fire, and Js are ice.

Yes, ice is steadfast, it can stay around for a long time, especially if there's a lot of ice and a little fire. However, When the heat gets turned up, the Ps get more powerful, and the Js get less powerful. So in everyday situations, Js probably have the advantage assuming everything goes to plan. But turn the heat up, and Ps become more powerful.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I thought it would be the opposite.

Hmm... well, I suppose it could be the opposite if you define strength and endurance differently than I did. I'm not sure what the common definitions are.

I assumed that strength measured how much a single "burst" or push could accomplish, and endurance measured how long you could sustain activity. And that you usually had one or the other, but not both.

Basically, I thought that strength relied on doing everything in that initial burst, while endurance relied on being able to sustain activity longer.

I know very little about this kind of thing, to be honest. I just looked them up on Wikipedia.

L

Lasting_Pain

Hmm... well, I suppose it could be the opposite if you define strength and endurance differently than I did. I'm not sure what the common definitions are.

I assumed that strength measured how much a single "burst" or push could accomplish, and endurance measured how long you could sustain activity.

Basically, I thought that strength relied on doing everything in that initial burst, while endurance relied on being able to sustain activity longer.

I know very little about this kind of thing, to be honest. I just looked them up on Wikipedia.

Oh its okay, we are all entitled to our own opinion, so I cannot argue because we are both right!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sis is good for moving the perimeter around. I'm good for locking down and securing the perimeter once it's established.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Because if you end up sick, crippled, or dead as a result of the erroneous belief that you are somehow above the laws of nature, you're no longer strong on any account.

What does that have to do with being a J? Do you hate uncertainty and uinpredictability in life?

juggernaut

Permabanned
What does that have to do with being a J? Do you hate uncertainty and uinpredictability in life?

Only everything. As a J, I evaluate potential long-term effects of the stupid crap I might do to myself. I do not stay up all night drinking or slack on physical activity or eat garbage because I have judged that, with 30 or 40 years left on this planet, it would not be a wise choice. This is something that Ps, especially young Ps, don't seem to be able to grasp. Young and middle-aged Js realize that one day, with any luck, they'll be old and life is incredibly painful for those individuals who are stuck living in a broken body.

As far as uncertainty goes, I don't hate it at all. It's a fact of life. I prefer to minimize risk to whatever extent I can and not indulge in things that I know will yield little if any positive result, but may put me at great risk. Uncertainty is a given, but stupidity needn't be. Perhaps you don't really know your Js as well as you think you do.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Only everything. As a J, I evaluate potential long-term effects of the stupid crap I might do to myself. I do not stay up all night drinking or slack on physical activity or eat garbage because I have judged that, with 30 or 40 years left on this planet, it would not be a wise choice. This is something that Ps, especially young Ps, don't seem to be able to grasp. Young and middle-aged Js realize that one day, with any luck, they'll be old and life is incredibly painful for those individuals who are stuck living in a broken body.

What does that have to being a P? Being a P means being a slacker and doing self-destructive things to your life, is that what you are saying? You might be also assuming most Ps are couch potatoes and never leave their home?

juggernaut

Permabanned
What does that have to being a P? Being a P means being a slacker and doing self-destructive things to your life, is that what you are saying? You might be also assuming most Ps are couch potatoes and never leave their home?

See the original post, you seem to have lost your way. I'm not assuming anything, just going with the evidence presented at the beginning of the thread.

EDIT: Alcohol isn't a food group, and being drunk doesn't really count as physical activity.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Why bother mentioning if it has nothing to do with being Ps.

One day, I might be too lazy to breath also. Thats what being a P is all about.

Then I can watch Rangler take over the world with his mega Te.

juggernaut

Permabanned
....because they can go to bed drunken from Monday till Friday, only sleep 3 hours and still excel in university and their job ?

This is why my oh-so-astute friend. It seems you've forgotten what the original question was. A fellow P made the claim above, I simply responded by pointing out that this approach to life is quite costly over the long haul. What one does today cannot be used as evidence of strength if those activities shorten his existence significantly or diminish his capacity to function in the world (in the way that these activities do). I was only pointing out the obvious. You asked a question, I answered. If you'd like me to sugar coat my replies so they're more palatable I'll ask you to defer to my MBTI type. I'm not in the business of telling people what they want to hear. If you'd like to continue this conversation you're welcome to contact me privately, but I've said all I need to say to you here. :)

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Alright.
So how do you not waste away your life.
Time passes even when you are being productive, unless you can stop the flow of time.
Does it mean I have to work constantly and follow a schedule to be a J?

And what is work?
Even if I am doing nothing, my mind is still thinking about ideas? Isn't that kind of like worl.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If by stronger you mean they will suffocate us in our own living space with their clutter, sure! xD