• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

911 operator scolds victim; victim dies

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
piss on you people. i'll answer myself.

oh, i saw that on the news, digest. un-friggen-believable.

how tragically ironic the 911 operator was when accusing her of wasting his time.

my guess is some sort of ISxJ.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I tried to listen, but it was 39-minutes long.

Only thing I noticed was that the call had the urgency equaling that of a job interview. It did seem like he was trying to track her down, but the whole "This better be real because this costs lots of money" scolding I don't think was entirely warranted.

I'd be a terrible 911 operator. It would take me a month before my first thought after hearing a distressing call wouldn't be "Oh damn you should call the police."

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I might guess ESTJ or ISFJ.

I once thought about being a 911 operator. One of the most important parts of the job is the ability to stay calm and rational in stressful situations, and I think I do that well. And it's not like other jobs where you have to socialize the whole time, you're still alone, and you have a clear social role to play when answering distress calls. I think it would be interesting.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it me, or does the woman making the call sound like she's doing something as routine as ordering a burger 'n fries? I get zero sense of urgency based on what she's saying and how she's saying it.

This is not a defense of the operator. This is a criticism of the caller.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
there's a much shorter version of that call somewhere. i'd love to find it. a transcription would be great too.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there's a much shorter version of that call somewhere. i'd love to find it. a transcription would be great too.

/agree I had a hard time making out everything she was saying since she was speaking so softly.

L

Lasting_Pain

911 operators are always rude, I never seemed to get that. You could be in the process of being killed and the Operator would ask you to calm down and describe the situation.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So the victim herself called 911 as well? The call I heard was just the coworker calling 911.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i included one text version of this story (of many in the news) in my OP. maybe that would help answer questions.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Is it me, or does the woman making the call sound like she's doing something as routine as ordering a burger 'n fries? I get zero sense of urgency based on what she's saying and how she's saying it.

This is not a defense of the operator. This is a criticism of the caller.

Yeah I got about 12 minutes in and gave up. Both the caller and operator sounded lackadaisical. I do think the operator is trying to help and the caller thought the woman was in trouble enough to call the police.

Being in a job where people lives are stake sometimes strangely desensitizes you to urgency and emergency. I see that sometimes disconnect in EMTs, nurses, nurse techs, CNAs, especially in emergency rooms. It's probably a coping mechanism when you're constantly dealing death day in and day out.

If you're a 911 operator and everything is an emergency then you probably begin to distinguish between "lesser" emergencies and greater emergencies. The caller wasn't giving off any verbal clues that this is serious, someone's life is at stake which would've probably prompted the operator to get a move on.

What was pretty unbelievable is when her killer got on the phone and casually started talking to the 911 operator.

I got xSTx, ISTx. Not SFJ.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have no idea about type, but I hope that operator gets his ass fired. There's a very legitimate lawsuit in there, hopefully her family has the resources to pursue it. How disgusting. That makes me angry.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What kind of training do 911 operators have I wonder? He was taking the position that he could determine whether or not the police were needed. I didn't know a 911 operator had that power.

I had an elderly friend once who accidentally dialed 911 when trying to call out from a nursing home. She explained on the phone it was a mistake. Right after hanging up the police called back and I had answered and explained the same thing, but the police were required to come anyway to check out the scene, so within a half hour a cop showed up to make sure she was okay.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
WTF. I don't know his history, but if you get burnt out as a 911 operator, you need to GTFO.

ISTJ?

G

garbage

The type that I hate is the one that let this happen, whichever one that is

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, when I read the thread title, the first thing I thought was "Geeze, nobody likes being scolded, but I think I could handle it better than that.". :laugh:

Sorry. Carry on.

heart

heart on fire
These two things stick out:

Ballard is under an internal affairs investigation by the Orlando Police Department for the way he handled several calls for help.

Eyewitness News has learned that the operator tried to find out where the victim was by asking her kidnapper...
Almost 11 minutes into the call with the victim, her alleged captor, James Clayton, got on the phone with the 911 operator and Ballard told him to stay put and say where he was so police could find them.

That person calling in at first is just sounds like a low energy person, doesn't extrovert a lot of emotion but that's no reason to take what she's saying as being untrue.

The operator seems to be using Te while on the line, but I don't see how type can be determined based on one call. An IFP could be using Te at work and under stress could get too much into unimportant details and unable to sort them out.

As a side issue I wonder what the weather was like that day, both people seem so low energy.

We don't know what kinds of pressures this operator was under from his management, maybe they came down hard on the operators to make sure calls were valid. I feel really bad for everyone involved. The operator has to live with what happened, that's an awful burden to bear. But the families surely have a lawsuit case with the city on how 911 calls are handled and how well employees are trained for their jobs.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Absolutely nothing short of disgusting. I turned down a 911 dispatch job because I felt I couldn't be so objective and calm about some of the calls that show up, but good gawd if I were even working next to that man, hearing him talk like that, I'd nail him one in his gaping jowls. :dont: I hope he doesn't kiss his mother with that mouth.