• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Paradigm Shift: are some types in fact, better than others?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well a person who is highly logical still gets a choice of preferring logic to feeling.

This person could chose INFP, thus rely on their ethical value system more than their "advanced" logical system. Doesn't mean at all they are thinkers. It's a preference.

Yes, that's why I agreed with Greed :confused:.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
yeah, my mom is an isfj.
and damn, she cares, yes. But I'm about 20 times better at reading people than she ever was. And I'm her son damn it : P

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which type does well on a test that measures EQ depends a lot on how EQ is being defined. Edit: The types listed are the ones that typically do well and win out in a social context - they are popular and get the responses they want from other people. In that way, the test results are a no-brainer. /edit

Knowing how feeling is expressed outwardly, and a knack for group dynamics is quite different from understanding the internal framework of someone's mind. Those are two separate skills and don't necessarily overlap much at all. Group feeling and dynamics are more systematic and recreate the same dynamics in a number of scenarios. Individuals are less so and have more nuance. Groups also operate largely on appearance and what is projected while individual introspection is about tearing down every facade and seeing the true, bare self.

This is also one reason I go back to questioning my type because Fe is often assumed to be related to this group dynamic skill which is nearly absent in my abilities. I can tell a lot about what is going on inside each person in the group, but the interrelationship and energy created amongst the people feels completely outside my influence. I have no rhythm for it.

Edit: Actually the issue with social/emotional processing and how it differs between introverts and extroverts is an important topic. The extrovert has more real-time filtering. When in a group they pick on select signals and can then focus on how these elements interact. The introvert takes in more initially which requires more processing time. One-on-one interaction is effective when the person listening can take in the whole of the details and work out the filtering later. This is ineffective with groups. The social and feeling overload is impressive and is the reason why it is difficult for the introvert to respond on cue.

Rangler

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w8
This has made my day. :) I think all the ENTJs can safely begin to increase their ego appropriately.....:rolleyes:

My firm conviction remains that all types are equal but different.

Though I have to say, I wouldn't trade being an ENTJ for anything.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ow COME ON people, I know democracy is awesome but can't we stop with the 'everybody is equal' thing.
I'm not saying this or that type or bal bla bla.

Face it, some people are just by YOUR OWN STANDARDS, better than you.
Some people will be intps because they just suck at feeling, some people will be intps because they rock at Ti.
Same goes for every function, every type, every perk and con is re-la-tive to a whole set of other cons and perks within and without the individual considering the question.
And perks and cons are socially defined items.

So really, in the end, it's our desire to be special, to rock; that forces us to also accept we can suck.
That's what buddhism is all about by the way: to let go.

So chill out.

Every type is equal ONLY if we never use one type or one person to compare another, but that's living in a perfect world were every 'type' is a single and self contained universe. Every item is defined socially, including types and functions. So, as I said previously, as long as you're not a

buddhist at heart, which most buddhist aren't, you're screwed.

enjoy the rest of ur lives.

(This doesn't apply to me, ever)

Rangler

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w8
ow COME ON people, I know democracy is awesome but can't we stop with the 'everybody is equal' thing.

In short, no.

ENTJs have to make an effort to value others. We can be incredible assholes when we don't. The kicker is we are often in leadership positions both organizationally and socially. To the extent that we are, we have the power inflict more harm than a person of average resources. Power can easily go to our heads, self-regulation is a virtue.

deleted
Yes?
Nothing you said contradicts Greed's words.

obvioussm3qw.jpg

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ow and BY THE FREAKING WAY, since wrangler doesn't seem to get things really fast.
EQ tests are unscientific bunch of craps more often based on cliché social convention and behaviors rather than any ability to read inter and intrapersonal patterns, understand and identify new emerging patterns and/or intermingle and extrapolate and so on.
so I wasn't responding to that part of the thread because it was just so fucking obvious and didn't needed to be specified.

voila

Rangler

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w8
ow and BY THE FREAKING WAY, since wrangler doesn't seem to get things really fast.
EQ tests are unscientific bunch of craps more often based on cliché social convention and behaviors rather than any ability to read inter and intrapersonal patterns, understand and new emerging patterns and or intermingle and extrapolate and so on.
so I wasn't responding to that part of the thread because it was just so fucking obvious and didn't needed to be specified.

voila

Well I'm glad EQ is a steaming pile of crap and we can all be so level headed. :hug:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
EI and Type results:

Top two
ENTJ
ESTJ

next three
ENFJ
ESFP
ENFP

Bottom two
ISFJ
INFP

With those results, I have to wonder if the EI test is measuring skill at social dominance which requires reading people, but the focus is more on social maneuvering than nuanced empathy. Social dominance is what society values, so it is a reasonable hypothesis. How often is there a useful application for nuanced sensitivity to others when compared with the ability to make a sale, or be voted popular, get the job, the promotion, convince others to implement your ideas, put on the best dinner party or wedding. What does empathy get you in society? Tons of information, but not much with immediate, practical application. Knowing too much detail can make it harder to maneuver in some cases. I'll invent one specific example of this: reading that someone is insecure can give you the advantage socially, but reading that their insecurity was based on being violated during their development can make it harder to use the information. Another person can be coddled to the point of arrogance and feels insecure when their inflated world view doesn't remain consistent. Some people have both dynamics occurring at once, etc. There are thousands of kinds of insecurities and it is difficult to respond to each type at face value when the implications to the person's life can be so varied.

Is there a link to the actual test so we can see what kinds of questions are involved?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Toonia: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/online-personality-tests/9992-emotional-intelligence-test.html

The scores are suspect, though. I think 2 people in the entire thread scored over 100, which is 'average'. Oh, and look... if you want to find out why you did so horribly just pay some money for the in depth analysis.

Assuming the test itself was legit, though, I noticed it's a blend of emotional intelligence type questions and personal health type questions. I know I hurt my score with a few of my answers (yes, I hold information to myself until I blow up a bit)... and I know that an ENTJ would either answer them differently or lie about it. (;))

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Toonia: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/online-personality-tests/9992-emotional-intelligence-test.html

The scores are suspect, though. I think 2 people in the entire thread scored over 100, which is 'average'. Oh, and look... if you want to find out why you did so horribly just pay some money for the in depth analysis.

Assuming the test itself was legit, though, I noticed it's a blend of emotional intelligence type questions and personal health type questions. I know I hurt my score with a few of my answers (yes, I hold information to myself until I blow up a bit)... and I know that an ENTJ would either answer them differently or lie about it. (;))
Thanks. I answered the questions as though I was a really confident person responding to others in the most sensible, confident, and obvious manner while sticking to the surface and what would normally be done and advised in a given scenario and got:

Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 141
Subscale percentile = 99.69

EIQ said:
Emotional Intelligence Test
Our Emotional Intelligence Test consists of two parts; a self-report portion and an ability portion. The test assesses your capacity to recognize your own emotions and those of others; understand how best to motivate yourself; become close to others; and manage your own feelings and those of others. Emotional intelligence contributes a great deal to your potential in life. A poor emotional intelligence can hold a brilliant individual back from achieving his or her goals, while a good EIQ can help someone who might otherwise struggle achieve success in life.
Snapshot Report
Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 141
Subscale percentile = 99.69

According to your self-report answers, your emotional intelligence is excellent. People who score like you do feel that they have almost no trouble understanding and dealing with their own emotions and those of others. They have an easy time overcoming difficulties in their lives and they are able to control their moods. It’s easy for them to motivate themselves to overcome obstacles and reach their goals. In addition, they find social interactions to be quite easy and fulfilling, for several reasons. They are comfortable allowing themselves to get close with others, and feel comfortable being vulnerable enough to establish intimacy. They also report having an easy time offering support to others; this is likely due to an empathetic nature and a clear mind when it comes to offering good advice.

Edit: I have to add this for the INFPs and ISFJs who are grossly underrated by this testing system. INFPs (and INFJs) on average will know a great deal more nuance about others than the level of information provided on this test: i.e. is the person sad, anxious, happy, etc. The ISFJ on average will know every bit as much as a high scorer on this test, but is not as assertive as this test requires for a high score. In addition the ISFJ on average will remember more minutia about their loved one's needs on a thoughtful level matched by few others. If you think of how many idiosyncrasies a person can have in their diet and daily living needs, there are few people who are aware enough or care enough to actually remember that level of detail and kindness. Unfortunately this test only measures personal and social confidence in relationship to conflict resolution.