• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Paradigm Shift: are some types in fact, better than others?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
for example:

In a the recent issue of the Bulletin for Psychological Type (Vol. 29, No.3 2006), one of the authors, Henry “Dick” Thompson (2006, p. 18), reported on some of his research into EI and Type. One finding I found quite interesting was that of the 5 personality types with the highest overall EQ score, three preferred Feeling and two preferred Thinking. In fact the top 2 were ENTJ and ESTJ ! (followed by ENFJ, ESFP, and ENFP). Of the 5 personality types with the lowest overall EQ score, three were Feeling types and two were Thinking types. And surprisingly, the bottom two were Feeling types: ISFJ and INFP! People looking for a correlation between EQ and Feeling won’t find it in Thompson’s research! About the only conclusion Thompson seemed willing to risk from this study was it appears that the EQ measures have a bias towards Extraversion.

1. What possible advantage would there be to being INFP or ISFJ if you lack both logical intelligence AND emotional intelligence?

2. Could it be, that we are wrong to a priori decide that all types are equal? what if certain types are actually just another type "gone wrong"?

for those of you too dense to see it, this thread is partially tongue and cheek :D ...though i actaully do wonder if its a mistake to a priori decide that all types are equal...what if some types are actually "a mistake"?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
there is no moral intelligence, without cognitive intelligence, but there is cognitive intelligence without moral intelligence. this is not type related. there are cognitive-intelligent (and btw rational) feeling types, and there are broken tests for every kind of intelligence or type. history has certainly proven that there are intelligent fieldmarshals with nazi morals. no intelligent discussion has ever come from a thread that deliberately tries to get it wrong from the start. people don't play the devils advocate game very well. for those who actually feel into the moral dimension its just energy draining.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ha, I am *so* showing this to my INFP boyfriend.

For what it's worth, whenever I take those systematizing vs emotionalizing type tests, I always score very highly on both counts, and I've never really understood that, assuming as I do that being an NT generally means I should score highly on the former and less so on the latter. I always come out looking like a big Asperger's case *and* a big feely feely.

I realize I'm making a lot of assumptions here, and no, I don't think MBTI is the final statement on a person in any way, but it's still interesting.

So in conclusion, yes, ENTJs are the best. And anyone who says I have a personal bias is lying. :D

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i dont care how emotional intelligence is defined by wikipedia or something, but it "should" be defined as something that must be proven by actual behavior and therefore can hardly be tested. every cognitive intelligent morally retarded nazi person can easily give "all the right answers", most cognitive intelligent feeling types could do that as well, but may make the mistake of being honest.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Before my fellow INFPs get in a huff over this... think about it for a minute.

Wouldn't it actually be pretty cool to be the WORST type out of the 16?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Before my fellow INFPs get in a huff over this... think about it for a minute.

Wouldn't it actually be pretty cool to be the WORST type out of the 16?

can i have weapons of massdestruction, then?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It's a load of Bullshit in my opinion. Take a large, unbiased surveys and try to get these same results..I bet they'd be different.

It's random, in my opinion. Certain types can't be intellectually inferior? As a specific example, I can think of a few INFPs who are at the top of their classes. I can also think of a few INFPs who are at the bottom, EQ-wise. The trends are being exaggerated to make it appear that this type is superior than this type, when the actual scatter-plot data is probably more rounded and..well..more scattered.

Pretty ignorant to assume that these trends are necessarily true.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Actually one of the worst things about my ISFJ mum. When I was a kid and learnt for a test in school for figuratively spoken 2 weeks, she never understood that I was afterwards in grave need to have a huge party and let it all out.

I would never say she has very few emotions but her EQ sucks bigtime ^^

G

garbage

You didn't quote the whole article.

If feeling doesn't equate to emotional intelligence, then thinking likely doesn't equate to logical intelligence. Therefore, INFPs don't necessarily lack it.

As a feeler, however, my logic behind that statement is probably stupid and wrong.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
can i have weapons of massdestruction, then?

Only if the instructions on how to use it had lots of illustrations and was color coded.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i dont know how Dick's test works, but usually tests are asking for "views", ie "what should be done if ...."

extroverted people are propelled to make decisions of ethical and strategical group-consequence all the time, they need to form the corresponding ethical opinions. like someone who is never allowed to vote is unlikely to become politically informed in a differentiated way. they may rather have some kind of wishful thinking, with undifferentiated (more totalitarian) formulation of the means of how one is supposed to achieve the wished for goal.

so type is not the causal product of anything that went wrong or right. (referring to: what if some types are actually "a mistake"? )

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I wonder, if there are different manifestations to a low feeler EQ within a p and a J personality. The latter maybe is more likely to overrule others and hurt them not knowingly, while the p is more prone to insecurity

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
It's a load of Bullshit in my opinion. Take a large, unbiased surveys and try to get these same results..I bet they'd be different.

It's random, in my opinion. Certain types can't be intellectually inferior? As a specific example, I can think of a few INFPs who are at the top of their classes. I can also think of a few INFPs who are at the bottom, EQ-wise. The trends are being exaggerated to make it appear that this type is superior than this type, when the actual scatter-plot data is probably more rounded and..well..more scattered.

Pretty ignorant to assume that these trends are necessarily true.

And i'll also bet there was some kinda advertising goin on in or around those articles. Catching someones interest then writin a bunch of crap so that they the writer can be paid some bank by said advertiser.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
My theory, the whole field of "intelligence" attracts and interests the kinds of people who want to put themselves on a pedestal, Te types seem to love a good test, so perhaps these tests were designed by (and therefore biased towards) Te types, the whole concept is loaded with Te type thinking, I _F_ types aren't usually the kinds to go around attaching quotients to everything. Even if the test is valid, there is no measure of the value of being intelligent, perhaps intelligence is overrated?

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
As a feeler, however, my logic behind that statement is probably stupid and wrong.

Greed, you're *enjoying* your new F status aren't you?

Fine then, we didn't need you anyway! *huff* ;)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
My theory, the whole field of "intelligence" attracts and interests the kinds of people who want to put themselves on a pedestal, Te types seem to love a good test, so perhaps these tests were designed by (and therefore biased towards) Te types, the whole concept is loaded with Te type thinking, I _F_ types aren't usually the kinds to go around attaching quotients to everything. Even if the test is valid, there is no measure of the value of being intelligent, perhaps intelligence is overrated?

Thats my opinion too. But there is something like empathy and cleverness within people. And I substitute empathy with EQ here, I dont like to measure those things either

nanook

a scream in a vortex
what if certain types are actually just another type "gone wrong"?

you mean like the stongest ENTJ forces all other members of his tribe into an inferior "INFP" mode of "being human (=ENTJ)", so he can be the one and only ruler?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think he meant that the ENTJ originally was meant to become an ENTP, but choosed the larger brain in heaven instead of the larger ... And nowadays he contemplates the decision as in being ENTJ :D