• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the most and least common MBTI types?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's how I am seen, except that I am ENFJ. :p

ENFJs are rare too! There seem to be many more ENFPs for some reason (at least in my life). Also my ENTP partner seems to collect them. They are all female. Here's a brief list:

Partner's adopted sister.
His bestest friend in the UK (a vet).
His bestest friend here in NZ (currently on maternity leave).
Another close friend who flits back and forth between England and NZ (she is the flightiest ENFP I've ever met).
At least three or four of his other past and present work colleagues.
Three or four of their friends (now mine as well), including a lovely HR professional based in NZ, who is also MBTI accredited (she was my discovery - yay!).
A great friend I met on an NLP course who works as a life-coach and shaman(!) in the UK.
Oh, I almost forgot a really amazing ENFP work colleague and friend of mine, who recently had her picture on the front page of a major Auckland magazine, in relation to her hobby.

I only know two ENFJs:

A female Canadian vet who has recently relocated to Perth, Australia.

My bestest male friend at my old workplace back in the UK. We still have a link that is best described as psychic. He's married with 3 kids and I'm gay, and I'm sure people thought we were having an affair, but neither of us cared - we were just on a very similar NFJ wavelength. He started out as my boss - the best kind of supportive, coach-type manager one could possibly wish for! (Oh dear, I'm starting to sound very gay again - you can see how the rumours started!).:wubbie:

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know any ENTJ's come to think of it. Can you guys give me an idea of what they're like from experience?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know any ENTJ's come to think of it. Can you guys give me an idea of what they're like from experience?

There's a great, well-balanced ENTJ scientist at my workplace. He is very witty and fast-thinking, but gets himself into terrible trouble with the top bosses by being controversial. For example, in meetings, he is the only one brave enough to say out loud what everyone else is thinking. I really like him, but apparently other people find him intimidating. Can't see it myself; they must be very dim not to see the sparkle in his eyes when he's trying to get a reaction out of someone who's taking themselves way too seriously!

He has a tough exterior, but someone told me he suffers quite a lot of workplace-related stress, possibly because he dares to speak up on ethical issues. He doesn't suffer fools, that's for sure - his sees through bulls**t like a laser on steroids!

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NTJs are rare. That's not just because I'm one. ;) Besides that, I don't know.

The most common are probably Extraverted Sensors of all kinds.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
The world is being taken over by SFJ women and STP men.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you combine perceiving preference (S or N) with outer orientation (J or P) the most common combo seems to be SJ, and the least common NJ. There are national variations, but this general rule seems to hold up for most countries with known MBTI statistics. Here's a list with the most common combo at the top and the rest in descending order:

SJ
SP
NP
NJ

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same list but with approximate percentages added, based on the figures for the USA. Please don't take these figures as Gospel - there hasn't been enough work done to truly validate them - but they are the best we have at present:

SJ - 46%
SP - 27%
NP - 19%
NJ - 8%

This gives a J/P ratio of 54:46 and a S/N ratio of 73:27, which is in line with most other statistical studies carried out in the USA.

I've seen the figures for the UK as well - I don't have them to hand, but they are surprisingly similar to the USA. The main differences were more Introverts (no surprises there), more SJs and fewer SP-types. I suspect many SPs probably fled (or were forcibly removed) to the British colonies during the SJ-dominated Victorian Empire.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
There's a great, well-balanced ENTJ scientist at my workplace. He is very witty and fast-thinking, but gets himself into terrible trouble with the top bosses by being controversial. For example, in meetings, he is the only one brave enough to say out loud what everyone else is thinking. I really like him, but apparently other people find him intimidating. Can't see it myself; they must be very dim not to see the sparkle in his eyes when he's trying to get a reaction out of someone who's taking themselves way too seriously!

He has a tough exterior, but someone told me he suffers quite a lot of workplace-related stress, possibly because he dares to speak up on ethical issues. He doesn't suffer fools, that's for sure - his sees through bulls**t like a laser on steroids!

That sounds quite like an ENTP to me.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
EZRA, is anything apollanaut said true? What are you like, what do you do (how do you do) and what kind of things do you naturally gravitate towards....over than 9.8 straight down.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sounds quite like an ENTP to me.

They can be hard to tell apart sometimes, but this guy knows all about type and has confirmed that he is an ENTJ. As I said, he's quite well balanced and mature, so the usual TJ certainty has been toned down quite a bit. He's clearly in touch with his Fi inferior - hence the concern with ethics and his inner sensitivity. However, he needs closure and can't stand loose ends - he once got into trouble for finishing someone else's project without asking! In his opinion, the work was very important but was taking far too long to complete, so he stepped in and did it himself. He actually thought the project manager would be pleased about this, instead the manager was livid and lodged an official complaint!

This strikes me as very ENTJ-like behaviour. I can't see an ENTP wanting to finish things for others - they're far more interested in starting new projects than completing old ones.

BTW, he guessed straight away that I was an NF, based on the type of questions I usually ask at meetings and presentations. He thought I might be an ENFP, which was a fair guess as I can be quite outspoken and confident in some situations, such as the aforementioned workplace meetings.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
A thinker doer finisher! Power people then! From what you're saying, their line would go something like, "Your words don't cut no shit with me!" ENTJ's are kinda awesome then, like business executives and power brokers and corporate merger Jack Campbell from "The Family Man" types.

Oh ya, and I get confused for everything but INFJ, because we're so eclectic and undefinable.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, an ENTJ in full motion would leave me standing in their dust trail! My own Te function is very erratic and unreliable, so I am quite in awe of the sheer amount of stuff these people manage to achieve in their lives. It makes me tired just thinking about it!

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Type A's! Definitely wouldn't want one that's unhinged! Far too much destruction could be laid waste in their tracks.

I was just reading about this, and nobody said JIM CARREY! The definitive ENTJ, who'll say anything and do anything to get a laugh! Makes sense, after what he said about TMZ on Letterman. I get the ENTJ now.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
INT in women is rare.
INF in men is rare.

Although I'm not sure about INFP men. But it's just my theory.

Someone said ENTPs are everywhere. ?!
I only met one I am sure of lately.

Random Ness

Here are the tallies for people I'm kinda close to [not just random acquantainces] whom I've typed (excluding me):
ESFP - 2
ESTP - 1
ESTJ - 1
ISFP - 1
INFP - 1
INTJ - 1
INFJ - 2
It's odd that I know two other INFJs well.