• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Switching S <=> N modes..

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
.. frequently (in a matter of minutes).

Are there any real life situations in which you know it would be beneficial to switch back and forth between these two modes? And how do you not get stuck in one mode?

It's a tough task, but just try to play the ball with me here. If you're capable.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i think it depends on type, if this is actually possible, and how.
in my case it seems to work just a tiny little bit, but leaves me very imbalanced.
put playing with it can possibly also be a source of extraordinary states (trance).
i don't have enough experience with that, to understand it.

NiFeSiTe

switching Fe and Te is so much more easy.

what situations? hard to say, because it seems to cover the whole of reality/life. how do i set goals, what do i want to do with it?
i am not even 100% sure, which one is "supposed" to be my first function, if there is such a thing as a supposed configuration.

what would really be extremely helpful would be Ne, but i have not idea how to evoke that ...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
don't know how "real-life" this is, but sports for sure. I'm thinking of soccer. Positioning/reading the overall feel of the field/predicting actions(Ne+Ni) vs actual physical movements (Se). Both are pretty important if you want to do well (I tend to be better at the former, sadly).

deleted
It's hard for me to switch into S mode, but it proves very beneficial to do so. It's easiest when I'm alone, the Se has an urge to come out, but it's hard to think correctly and use Se at the same time, in which I can't use Se often. The inability of S around people, and stronger ability of it when I'm alone just goes to show how dim my S skills are.

It depends "in a matter of minutes" on the moment. My N side can blow away S at times, at other times I seek back and forth analysis.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
.. frequently (in a matter of minutes).

Are there any real life situations in which you know it would be beneficial to switch back and forth between these two modes? And how do you not get stuck in one mode?

It's a tough task, but just try to play the ball with me here. If you're capable.

Oh most definitely. I can't think of anything that takes place in a matter of minutes, although I'm sure there are plenty of them. And I'm so happy I hang out around the S/N border cause it's not mentally jarring to switch back and forth.

An example I'm currently in right now. It is my department's responsibility to keep our organization accredited. Accreditation is both a long and short range process. There's the day to day stuff we have to document and show that we're compliant with the accrediting body's rules and regulations. It's data compiling, mining, and rigorous follow-through, catching where data is missing, keeping track of who did what and when. When we're audited for that information and if it's missing or incomplete we are flagged for deficiencies. Too many of those and we lose our accreditation.

But you've also got to craft a coherent picture from all those reports and show how they feed into our mission statement, how we're accomplishing our long range goals, explaining shortfalls, anticipating future needs and how we'll create programs to fulfill those needs. Failing in this arena also means we lose our accreditation.

I can tell the people in my department who prefer to collect the data and monitor reports, and do a damn good job of keeping it accurate and up to date. This is extremely important because it's the foundation and supportive evidence to the larger goals. It's what we need to work from to spot trends or identify barriers to care. They also have a good eye for what has and hasn't worked and that input is foolish to discard. When we're making those long range goals we have people who throw out more ideas or have a good sense of how those ideas will play out, a good sense of which ideas are more viable (which I think is indicative of balanced sensing and intuition), understanding structural issues, and being more anticipatory about possible problems, successes, and outcomes.

I'm not trying to rant (I will though :D) but that's why I'm disappointed by the lack of perspective on how sensing and intuiting work together on the forum. I work in an office, I see how all the processes interact in the real world and to hold the belief that between sensing and intuiting, intuiting is more valuable is a big fat lie. Maybe in certain fields or in certain positions one is more favorable than another, but overall no, it don't work that way.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Se Ni works well together. Mainly Se providing input for Ni to play with. The difficulties comes from telling Ni to take a break and pass the ball back to Se. A tiring process if you have to do it for extended periods of time.

I can't name you a specific situation off the top of my head though.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
people who happen to be intuitives never actually switch into sensor mode. this is more them using their functions (i hate to use functions but im forced to here) to create a pseudo sensor type of "mode". we are talking about how people are hardwired. by hardwired i mean you cannot change the way you think and perceive. remember, we are talking about the human cognition here.

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
don't know how "real-life" this is, but sports for sure. I'm thinking of soccer. Positioning/reading the overall feel of the field/predicting actions(Ne+Ni) vs actual physical movements (Se). Both are pretty important if you want to do well (I tend to be better at the former, sadly).

Good example. Do you find your decision making time to be different when you go from S to N?

It's hard for me to switch into S mode, but it proves very beneficial to do so. It's easiest when I'm alone, the Se has an urge to come out, but it's hard to think correctly and use Se at the same time, in which I can't use Se often. The inability of S around people, and stronger ability of it when I'm alone just goes to show how dim my S skills are.

Thank you for your input. How do you find your decision making time to be when you engage S mode? Do you think quicker? Have you found a way to not get stuck using S?

proteanmix, thank you, too.

Se Ni works well together. Mainly Se providing input for Ni to play with. The difficulties comes from telling Ni to take a break and pass the ball back to Se. A tiring process if you have to do it for extended periods of time.

Good observation. Different perceiving functions interfere with each other.

people who happen to be intuitives never actually switch into sensor mode. this is more them using their functions (i hate to use functions but im forced to here) [1] to create a pseudo sensor type of "mode". we are talking about how people are hardwired. by hardwired [2] i mean you cannot change the way you think and perceive. remember, we are talking about the human cognition here.

I strongly disagree. What you said in [1] is confirmed only for E/I. That part is hardwired in our brains: Blood flow routes are very different and different neurotransmitters are involved. The other letters are just a matter of skills.

If [2] is true, then we will be babies till the day we die. Remember, we are talking preference - and evolution here.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
As a musician, I find I can be more in tune with what's happening around me by being present in the moment, rather than thinking. I call this the 'animal mind' when I perform, and it's all about becoming as emotionally engaged as possible, but thinking as little as possible.
when I listen to music, I try to disengage thought & emotion entirely. The funny part about this is that I actually hear better when I simply perceive, rather than try to understand things through theory or hear with emotion. My GF noted that I seemed to be 'in a trance' at a recent concert. I probably look like I'm not into it at all, but in fact, I'm totally engaged in what is happening.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good example. Do you find your decision making time to be different when you go from S to N?
I'm not sure. I don't think much about either one, consciously. I guess for the N I'm consciously thinking about it somewhat more whereas the Se is largely relying on reflex, but neither one is really a "decision", more "types of information". Data from both types is needed to make a good decision, really.