• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraverted Intution

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yay! ok I kind of want to get serious again. I suck at being serious though I can't focus long enough I'm like oooh a puppy! oh no the puppy needs a collar but he might catch on something and choke to death.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
When my dog was a puppy he got away with everything. Untill he went into the street. When he did that, i beat the crap out of him. He never went in the street again. This effect was predictable. So is a puppy getting hit and killed in the street by a car.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
yay! ok I kind of want to get serious again. I suck at being serious though I can't focus long enough I'm like oooh a puppy! oh no the puppy needs a collar but he might catch on something and choke to death.

Ne exraordinair. My dog wares a collar really loose as to pull out of a pinch with ease. But yet has the collar on for its information incase he gets lost.

revolve

Hi, this is in response to the original question: Yes, I can relate . . . and this is how I see it . . . my Ne is so fierce that I actually see the potential far more than I can see reality. and even if i can explain reality to you logically . . . and the actual reality sucks & i know it sucks . . . the potential is far more powerful for me & affects me to the point where i don't even care about the reality & i'll keep doing X or dating X or pursuing the X hobby or the X career. I do everything i can to diminish my Ne but that pesky little bugger won't go away!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no it doesn't you can use Ne in good ways. so don't blame a function for ruining your life your functions don't ruin your life you ruin your life by letting them ruin your life. so yeah!

ps I don't know anything about what I'm saying, I'm pretending I'm smart now.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
It's like a tree! then you think about how the tree came to be evolution of the tree, did someone fall out of the tree? is the tree sensitive? then after that you can go more into what kind of tree it is how tall etc. Does this make sense?

so basically what you are saying is that first you think about the tree as a whole, decide you like it and then proceed to focus on its individual properties.

that is the basic idea, but, i think, Ne has more to do with how you came up with the tree in the first place.

the below maybe more relevant to NeTi (ENTP) than anything else...i dont know...feedback is appreciated

your walking by a park and you see a a man sweeping small twigs and leaves into pile. you walk a little farther and then you see a hole being dug by a teen wearing a safety vest. a few more steps and there is a generous 50 yr old lady feeding some birds.

while you are enjoying the stroll, in the back of your head, what you Ne MIGHT be doing is something like this:

1. man, twigs n leaves
1.1a man -> city worker? tax payer money? MY money?
1.1b man -> ordinary person? volunteer?
1.2 sweeping -> why not blow this shit...
1.3 twigs n leaves -> bonfire? compost? garbage? is it fall already?

2. teen, vest, spade, digging, hole
2.1 teen -> 16? 19? drinking age?
2.2 vest -> volunteer? community service?
2.3 spade -> king (of spades)?
2.4 digging -> electric poles? tree? teen playing prank? the book HOLES?

3. 50yr old lady, bird food, birds
3.1 50yr old lady -> grandma? bored? nice? kind?
3.2 bird food -> meh. like i give a shit
3.3 birds -> migrating? permanent?
3.3.1 migrating-> to china? coming from the south?
3.3.2 permanent-> baby birds? feed? nest? tall buildings? trees?

and then Ne connects the dots..
IDEA #1- "teen is digging a hole to plant a TREE where the birds can build nests using the twigs n leaves"

and then you can ask those quesns: evolution of the tree, did someone fall out of the tree? is the tree sensitive? then after that you can go more into what kind of tree it is how tall etc. ....for me it'll be the Ti playing judge

the whole process of Ne and Ti (for ENTPs), not really sure about others, is analogous to computer programming....many a times i've been amazed that the code i write is actually very similar to how my thinking process works

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No it has nothing to do with like or not liking something. and the tree was just the first thing that popped into my head.

edit: it's knowing the possibilities before knowing what's actually there. at least that's how it is for me.And yes everyone of my thoughts is connected in someway it might not be obvious to everyone around me but I know they relate and I know how they relate.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi, this is in response to the original question: Yes, I can relate . . . and this is how I see it . . . my Ne is so fierce that I actually see the potential far more than I can see reality. and even if i can explain reality to you logically . . . and the actual reality sucks & i know it sucks . . . the potential is far more powerful for me & affects me to the point where i don't even care about the reality & i'll keep doing X or dating X or pursuing the X hobby or the X career. I do everything i can to diminish my Ne but that pesky little bugger won't go away!

And I hate my Ne so much. It ruins my life . . . or does it???

i know what you mean...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so basically what you are saying is that first you think about the tree as a whole, decide you like it and then proceed to focus on its individual properties.

that is the basic idea, but, i think, Ne has more to do with how you came up with the tree in the first place.

the below maybe more relevant to NeTi (ENTP) than anything else...i dont know...feedback is appreciated

your walking by a park and you see a a man sweeping small twigs and leaves into pile. you walk a little farther and then you see a hole being dug by a teen wearing a safety vest. a few more steps and there is a generous 50 yr old lady feeding some birds.

while you are enjoying the stroll, in the back of your head, what you Ne MIGHT be doing is something like this:

1. man, twigs n leaves
1.1a man -> city worker? tax payer money? MY money?
1.1b man -> ordinary person? volunteer?
1.2 sweeping -> why not blow this shit...
1.3 twigs n leaves -> bonfire? compost? garbage? is it fall already?

2. teen, vest, spade, digging, hole
2.1 teen -> 16? 19? drinking age?
2.2 vest -> volunteer? community service?
2.3 spade -> king (of spades)?
2.4 digging -> electric poles? tree? teen playing prank? the book HOLES?

3. 50yr old lady, bird food, birds
3.1 50yr old lady -> grandma? bored? nice? kind?
3.2 bird food -> meh. like i give a shit
3.3 birds -> migrating? permanent?
3.3.1 migrating-> to china? coming from the south?
3.3.2 permanent-> baby birds? feed? nest? tall buildings? trees?

and then Ne connects the dots..
IDEA #1- "teen is digging a hole to plant a TREE where the birds can build nests using the twigs n leaves"

and then you can ask those quesns: evolution of the tree, did someone fall out of the tree? is the tree sensitive? then after that you can go more into what kind of tree it is how tall etc. ....for me it'll be the Ti playing judge

the whole process of Ne and Ti (for ENTPs), not really sure about others, is analogous to computer programming....many a times i've been amazed that the code i write is actually very similar to how my thinking process works

+1 perfect!! this is how my brain works too...great explanation. :)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I actually came up with a theory a few weeks ago, that the power of Ne lies in its ability to be bored hence need and look for stimulus.

In terms of what it is, I'd just say a thing that helps you clearly visualise the system, without having to do the pondering. For some reason you know where the stuff goes and why.

G

garbage

And I hate my Ne so much. It ruins my life . . . or does it???

Ne's great! You just have to ground it with judging functions.. you'll find that you really have to "listen to Fi" to help guide your decisions in a realm of infinite possibilities. Our minds are like sponges, and we have to use some discretion.

Ne and Te? Now that is a powerhouse. Seeing possibilities everywhere, then organizing, systematizing, and mobilizing them for productive purposes, along with the ability to immediately change course if your implementation doesn't exactly work? Yeah, nobody could ever call an ENFP lazy again if he taps into that ;)

I actually came up with a theory a few weeks ago, that the power of Ne lies in its ability to be bored hence need and look for stimulus.

In terms of what it is, I'd just say a thing that helps you clearly visualise the system, without having to do the pondering. For some reason you know where the stuff goes and why.

Now this I like.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you find that that you notice the possibilities before what's actually there when observing something? then once you've gone through the possibilities you go ok this is what is. It's like a tree! then you think about how the tree came to be evolution of the tree, did someone fall out of the tree? is the tree sensitive? then after that you can go more into what kind of tree it is how tall etc. Does this make sense?

Perfect sense.

Ne is a law unto itself. You can't use it deliberately, it just happens by itself or not at all. In my case, it happens pretty much constantly. Sometimes Ti controls or directs it, but it's often a case of chasing after a wild goose or bolting horse...

I "see" stuff ALL the time that others don't get, and they laugh at me and say it's in my head and I'm talking nonsense and I'm projecting my experiences onto the present etc etc, and then later, they're sitting with their heads in their hands saying "I just didn't see it coming" and I'm really trying hard to resist saying I told them so but they wouldn't bloody listen. I've now given up trying. When people are embarking on something and talking about how to go about it, I just ignore it all and sit in the corner and play on my DS and wait for them to fuck up, then come along and suggest the things I thought of in the first place, but gave up trying to express after the third short-sighted rebuttal.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I relate to that aswell, I'll notice something and they'll be like what? and I'll continue then they'll laugh and I'm like forget it.

edit: And I know it's unconcious that's what I did my whole life without realizing until I started looking into MBTI and it was like oh hmmmm yeah that might be what I do....yeah that is what I do. And what prompted this thread was the thread with the pictures and I noticed that after I described what's their I didn't actually describe what's their.

G

garbage

Ne is a law unto itself. You can't use it deliberately, it just happens by itself or not at all. In my case, it happens pretty much constantly.

Now this is exactly why I had confusion over whether I was Ne or Te-dominant. I think Ne is so natural to me, just as you're stating here, that I don't even notice it working.

And that anecdote? I run into that all the time, too. I used to doubt the conclusions that my own intuition would draw, until I learned that I could actually trust it.

When it comes to some technical problem to be solved, I immediately see some sort of tree with several branches representing different paths to a potential solution. When it comes to other people, I tend to get an overall picture of their personality or emotional state right off the bat. And when I really get to know them, I can pretty much finish their sentences or read exactly what they're about to conclude or otherwise talk about.

It can be kind of scary, and it took me a while to embrace when it came to other people.

Also, here's an interesting observation..

This also highlights the importance of Lenore's idea about developing the secondary. Ne by itself is very indiscriminate. There's a point at which "looking for anything at all" really risks being too randomly useful or too randomly pointless to be helpful. A dominant Ne type needs to be able to distinguish between the relative importance of things, or be able to identify the needs and people they really care about, to make the most of it.

G

garbage

Ne is a law unto itself. You can't use it deliberately, it just happens by itself or not at all. In my case, it happens pretty much constantly.

Now this is exactly why I had confusion over whether I was Ne or Te-dominant. I think Ne is so natural to me, just as you're stating here, that I don't even notice it working.

And that anecdote? I run into that all the time, too. I used to doubt the conclusions that my own intuition would draw, until I learned that I could actually trust it.

When it comes to some technical problem to be solved, I immediately envision some sort of tree with several branches, with branches on those branches, representing different paths to a potential solution. This all happens as the problem is described to me, and paths are "lopped off" or grown in my own mind as the information pours in.

When it comes to other people, I tend to get an overall picture of their personality or emotional state right off the bat. And when I really get to know them, I can pretty much finish their sentences or read exactly what they're about to conclude or otherwise talk about. (The difference between these two scenarios is also what leads me to see Fi as my secondary.)

It can be kind of scary, and it took me a while to embrace when it came to other people.

Also, here's an interesting observation..

This also highlights the importance of Lenore's idea about developing the secondary. Ne by itself is very indiscriminate. There's a point at which "looking for anything at all" really risks being too randomly useful or too randomly pointless to be helpful. A dominant Ne type needs to be able to distinguish between the relative importance of things, or be able to identify the needs and people they really care about, to make the most of it.

Qre:us

Examples of Ne in everyday interactions -

- finishing off thoughts/conversations.....I get the 'point', and get to it. Even if it's jumps ahead to get to the conclusion. Sometimes, if I get a grain of something....I can finish the rest off, without needing the meat in the middle.

Trite examples,

my best friend explaining to me that her bronzer isn't on as she applies it usually. She starts off explaining this 'natural powder' she has.

And, I say, "Oh, I see, that's the brush you used."

She keeps going, 'no, you see this natural powder I have, {describes it in more detail so I can relate to the product}

Me: yeah, the green brush

Her: No! It's this other powder I have, you know the natural organic one? You've used it before.

Me: I see (by this time, I know that the only way for her to 'get' what I'm saying is to reach that conclusion herself)

Her: Ok, you get which one I'm talking about?

Me: :yes:

Her: Yeah, well, it's brush is this green thing....and...OH! OH! That's what you've been saying all along! I'm sorry man, I was wondering why you kept repeatedly mixing up natural powder and brush.

Me: :doh:

We're hanging out in a mixed group, with some new acquaintances, in a parking lot. And, my friend comments about one of the guy that he doesn't talk much, is quiet.

I'm like, "nah, he's listening hard" (cuz he would nod along with the conversation going on)

He shyly smiles, and nods.

Me: "or...you're tuning us out by nodding along to the music"

Him: :shock:...:doh:....:blush:

Everyone starts laughing at him and ribbing him.

I picked up that there was something 'off' about his reply to my initial observation, and, that his nods were in a rhythm and there was faint music to be heard, that was in sync with his nods.

*** I have to learn though not to just blurt out whatever random observations I make about a person, so as to not make them uncomfortable/in the spot.

Caveat: once in a while, this 'skill' can go horribly wrong, and you reach a conclusion with much confidence, only to have it be shattered. And, the other upset at you for being so presumtuous.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I confess, I really don't have a clue what Ne is all about! I understand the technical descriptions of this odd function, but I don't really "get" it at all. Still, for what it's worth (not much, I suspect), here's a list of presumed Ne traits from an outsider's perspective, based on 17 years of living with an ENTP:

Ne is:

No good at spelling (check out thread title for proof).
Loses things constantly.
Talks. In. Short. Sentences.
Totally unpredictable, even for an INFJ.
Very silly.
Likes practical jokes.
Sometimes gets very paranoid.
Truly and utterly hopeless with details.
Cannot help joining the dots.
Cannot even SEE the dots!
Cannot tell left from right.
Solves TV murder mysteries in the first ten seconds.
Never does anything the same way twice.
Never, ever reads instruction manuals.
Understands metaphors better than literal explanations.
Pretends to be listening even when it isn't.
IS listening even when it doesn't appear to be.
Has little or no sense of time.
Considers "now" to be a flexible concept.
Considers "tidiness" to be an overrated concept.
Really, really good at generating new ideas.
Some of those ideas are sheer genius.
Some of those ideas are not as good as they seemed at first.
Some of those ideas are fatally flawed, but this only becomes obvious when it's far too late!
Prefers to delegate all of the mundane, routine, boring bits to a nearby INFJ.

:17425:

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I thought I understood the differences between Ni and Ne better before reading this thread than I do now! It seems that they can do some of the same things, or I have a bit of Ne. Is partly a difference between generating new ideas/brainstorming (Ne) vs. seeing new connections with things you already know (Ni)? I definitely favor the latter, and often wish I could be more creative.