• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the very first thing you notice about a person indicating they're a J or a P?

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Tone of voice. J's tend to sound more definite, and P's tend to sound more laid-back and tentative.

deleted
Tone of voice. J's tend to sound more definite, and P's tend to sound more laid-back and tentative.

What do you mean by tentative... In the sense that they doubt their words or that they are experimenting?

G

garbage

Tone of voice and inflection, yeah :yes:

Phrases like "it is what it is" and "we'll just have to wait see"? P.

Phrases like "that's just ..." and "you're going to have to tell me now if you're coming up in May because we're really busy and have the next--let me check my Google Calendar--six months practically booked, and the first weekend in May is the only one we have available right now, but that could change soon if you don't tell me now"? J.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Almost like a stereotype you associate with J or P that you maybe use to predict someone's type. Are there attitudes or gestures associated with P and J that maybe aren't completely associated and that wouldn't seem like they would be, to everyone. Dumb example... but I associate carrots or bananas with women... like that man is holding a carrot, so he must be gay. Ok I'm kidding, unfortunatly.

This can go for other preferences (don't say E/I, too obvious, like N, S, T, F), and it can't be directly associated. You can't say the first thing you notice about Js is that they're decisive. You have to be weird when you talk to me.

S = Being able to enjoy the here and now for what it is.

N = Trying to figure out how the here and now is connected to the past, future, what could be if not X but Z, and the color magenta...

:D

deleted
Tone of voice and inflection, yeah :yes:

Phrases like "it is what it is" and "we'll just have to wait see"? P.

Phrases like "that's just ..." and "you're going to have to tell me now if you're coming up in May because we're really busy and have the next--let me check my Google Calendar--six months practically booked, and the first weekend in May is the only one we have available right now, but that could change soon if you don't tell me now"? J.

Hey not all Js are that clerical. :(

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Their gaze... a J's seems more purposeful to me and directed.. a P's is kind of a bit more zoned out

deleted
One thing that sticks out for me, Ps give more examples in their speech, in reference to their likely more developed visual brain (right side.) That can be a first indication, though not always a correct one. Many Js are right-brained.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I think reactions to sudden changes in plan is something I notice. A J needs time to process how this change will impact how their day unfolds. Generally, the reaction is a wary, tentative one. Even if the weather isn't what is expected.

deleted
I think reactions to sudden changes in plan is something I notice. A J needs time to process how this change will impact how their day unfolds. Generally, the reaction is a wary, tentative one. Even if the weather isn't what is expected.

Then again are you sure Ps are really processing anything by reacting so quickly...

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how decided they are about something
how quickly they come to decisions
relaxed or not
whether they thrive on closure or letting things be

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Then again are you sure Ps are really processing anything by reacting so quickly...

I don't think P's necessarily react quickly ... I think P's are less affected somehow by these changes? Adaptation is a better word.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Their gaze... a J's seems more purposeful to me and directed.. a P's is kind of a bit more zoned out
That is true for me, more so being NP?! :D

People sometimes ask me, "Are you looking for something? You seem kinda lost.." Hey! :thumbdown::shocking::ohmy:

MBTI Type
ENTP
What do you mean by tentative... In the sense that they doubt their words or that they are experimenting?

I think you are projecting.

1. The only way a P would doubt his words is if he acted more definite than his understanding allowed him to be. In other words, if he pretended to be a J.

2. Just because someone makes a tentative statement that doesn't mean they think that the present context is going to offer something less tentative.

Ps tend to be the most comfortable making tentative statements. Just like Js are the most comfortable making definite statements. The idea here isn't that we're all the same exact people making different decisions.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you are projecting.

1. The only way a P would doubt his words is if he acted more definite than his understanding allowed him to be. In other words, if he pretended to be a J.

2. Just because someone makes a tentative statement that doesn't mean they think that the present context is going to offer something less tentative.

Ps tend to be the most comfortable making tentative statements. Just like Js are the most comfortable making definite statements. The idea here isn't that we're all the same exact people making different decisions.

Both can be bluffing, depending on their mode of operation and the context of the interaction, right? Isn't some of this a matter of delivery, or are you referring to inner belief of the statement at hand? Good thought! :D