• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How has learning about personality type affected you?

ring the bell

I'm just curious to see responses to this. I've seen threads about people with obsessions about it. Obviously, we are all here because it's interesting. But has knowing about personality theory had a positive or negative affect in your life?

For me, it's been very positive. I've always been on a mission to understand my own brain. I've known my type for years but it's been only in the last year that I've actively tried to understand what it means. I've dealt with depression and anxiety for years and now I've found a way to help focus in on the why's when I get that way. It helps me through. I've come to understand other people around me more and my interaction with them has become easier. I guess just understanding who I am and how I interact in the world has been a great experience. Integrating the enneagram in has also had a very positive affect. It was just like seeing the sunrise one day when I finally just got it.

So, how about you guys?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
every understanding of why people are the way they are, helps to tame such ideas like "he is pretending to be stupid, he is deliberately sabotaging truth".

this brings a lot of peace, mercy, benevolence, generosity to heart, especially when you have been badly crushed by the wheels of some people's ways.

type is only a part in the puzzle, psychology and especially developmental psychology are others. you might argue, that it would be wise, to entertain the idea, that people always do their momentary best. this is for example, what byron katie branded as "the work". however the rational mind cant just buy into such wisdom. it needs concrete proof. there it is

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
It's helped me A LOT. I always felt like the black sheep in the family.. now everything makes sense to me- why I didn't got along with certain family members most, and why I saw things the way I did.

In a way, for me, it's a sense of relief.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
I've found that I'm less judgemental of people than I have been in the past, so I suppose that it's been a positive influence on my life. Definitely not as turbulent as I used to be.

ring the bell

It's helped me A LOT. I always felt like the black sheep in the family.. now everything makes sense to me- why I didn't got along with certain family members most, and why I saw things the way I did.

In a way, for me, it's a sense of relief.

This has definitly been a part of my experience as well. A lot of my issues were directly related to how I interacted with the outside world. I'm glad you had a positive experience too :)

G

garbage

It's helped me understand differences in personality.. not that I try to type everyone that I come across, but keeping the difference between, say, sensing and intuition in mind as I talk to someone allows me to communicate and otherwise interact with them more positively and more effectively. I can relate to many more people on their level.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How does one hoot heroin? :D

You're gonna need an owl, a funnel, and some PVC pipe. A little can-do attitude and a first aid kit for just in case can't hurt either.

z7shysterical.gif

Petite Etoile

MBTI Type
InTJ
Enneagram
... But has knowing about personality theory had a positive or negative affect in your life?

Initially, I took the Keirsey test in one of my classes and thought it was cool but I didn't think much of it. My boyfriend then became abnormally and obnoxiously obsessed with it, and then MBTi became the bane of my existence. It was just really annoying having him point out all these things about people because of their type when i didn't think it really had that much to do with it. However, somewhere along the way I got into it, and its really just made me paranoid if anything else.. because i can't figure out what type i am. It actually really depressed me for awhile.. but now i'm kinda over it. and NOW my boyfriend and i have both pretty much lost faith in the whole thing.. i get on the forum for fun though.

D'Artagnan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I suppose I've unconsciously been playing the 'typing game' for most of my life. It just seems to be the natural way I think about people; what they're good at and how that those 'traits' determine who they are as individuals.

Stumbling on MBTI and socionics was like finding an entry in a personal diary that wasn't yours. Everything that I was and had perceived was summed up roughly in concrete everyday terms. Though not perfect, the system just made sense, and it would seem counter-intuitive if interpreted otherwise. In other words: I hold these truths to be self-evident. :yes:

Probably the most useful part of the system is the information on PoLR functions, parts of myself and others which I have trouble seeing. While it may be easy to say what someone is good at, the difficulty lies describing one's weaknesses and why they are that way. Props to socionics (and MBTI), I agree with most of what you have to say. :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Answer to the OP.

I hope I've learned to understand people a bit better. I understand a bit better why some things in some sort of people make me annoyed or why some things other sort of people make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I know MBTI is not even proven to be correct but I think it helps people anyway ONLY IF it is used in non-judgemental way. I mean that even if people is XXXX it doesn't mean that they cannot change or cannot behave differently.

MBTI typinig is a fun hobby.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Temperament theory put people into a nice symmetrical framework, at the same time as helping to understand them and fit what I have always observed. The cognitive processes of type is an additional symmetry that explains self and others even more in depth. That's why I have found it all fascinating.