• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tertiary relief?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a great believer in the theory that each function holds a different, specific role in the typological set-up of the 16 types.

And you are spot on for me (INFJ). I get great relief from figuring out solutions to problems using my tertiary Ti. If I'm presented with a stressful situation in real life which has no obvious or immediate solution, then I'll seek relief by solving crossword puzzles or playing logic games on my PalmOne device.

Costrin has it right, though, when he warns of the danger of overindulging the relief function. It happens to me quite a lot, as I am forced to overuse Ti in my job. Either I get stuck in analysis paralysis and become incapable of making a decision, or I'll play my logic games to excess and totally neglect the more important stuff I'm supposed to be doing.

In fact, I'm doing that right now, by participating in this thread instead of getting on with my work!

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
In fact, I'm doing that right now, by participating in this thread instead of getting on with my work!

Oh, crap... Is that why we're here? :)

Seriously, well put. That is like seeing the thought that was inside my own head all filled out perfectly. If that makes sense...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's really funny to watch an ITJ turn into a wibbledy ball of fluff for a few minutes and then go, "All right, enough of that. Time to get back to work."

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'd say, if I have a problem, with Si and Te, it goes like this:

Si: How does the problem make me feel? How painful is it to remember it? Do I need to spend some time trying to accept it before I confront it head on? Do I know how to solve it on my own?

That leads to....

Te: What action steps do I need to take to solve this problem? If I can't solve it on my own, I must look elsewhere for a solution, outside of myself. Is there someone else that's knowledgeable of a similar problem? How emotional will they make the confrontation about the problem?

If the problem is solved, then I combine Si and Te, and look to correct myself so that the problem doesn't arise again.

You were on the right track with what Te does. We start structuring things very rigidly hoping that will either make the problem disappear or act like it doesn't exist.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:hug: *swats away costrin lol :D jkjk :hi: hehe*

hmmm.....I agree with that tertiary Ni statement the most compared to tertiary Ti/ Fi/Si I'm really think i'm getting somewhere *smiles to self* :yes:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Moved from The Bonfire.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd be more inclined to use Se, to get out and do something active and fun, interact with others and not focus on anything that's stressing me, that refreshes me as taking my mind off problems for a while clears my head enough to come back ready to look at new perspectives without feeling overwhelmed.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I use Ti lots and lots and lots. Especially here in the forums. I wouldn't just call it "relief", it's more like my handy-dandy solve it all. Ni-Ti works well together in solving problems. As long as you give me enough time to mull things over. :)

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use Ti lots and lots and lots. Especially here in the forums. I wouldn't just call it "relief", it's more like my handy-dandy solve it all. Ni-Ti works well together in solving problems. As long as you give me enough time to mull things over. :)

are you an enneagram 5? i imagine enneagram 5 to be very associated with high Ti development. i'm an infj who is a 5 and i feel overly Ti compared to most infjs. except those who are 5s. who detach, who observe, who investigate, compile ideas, conceptual understandings, etc to deal with and organize their own inner environment before expressing it, extroverting it, objectifying it as a specific goal/mission to accomplish in the world.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Tertiary Ti:"I can't possibly go along with this, because it makes no sense. It's filled with internal contradictions. It's crude and not true to the real principles of how this works. It's trying to shove an inappropriately a priori conceptual structure onto the reality. I will have to go by feel, and where it leads I can't know until I get there. I've got to trust this groove regardless of people's arbitrary expectations."

Wow. I do think that a lot, come to think of it. It's usually the very thing that causes me to shut things out. Usually, though, I'm not really aware of why. At first I just think something like, "That's crude and flawed. It's not good enough for me. I've got to find something better than that."

Then if I happen to mention it to an IxTP or spend time contemplating it further, it ends up being extrapolated into something like the above quote. Then I think, "Yeah! That's what's wrong with it. I knew there was something wrong with it. I've got a perfectly good reason for rejecting this after all. Ha!"

At that point, I can usually find a way to throw this reasoning at people in such a way that that they respect my reservations and give me permission to sit out and refuse to cooperate with anything I'm not comfortable with.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
are you an enneagram 5? i imagine enneagram 5 to be very associated with high Ti development. i'm an infj who is a 5 and i feel overly Ti compared to most infjs. except those who are 5s. who detach, who observe, who investigate, compile ideas, conceptual understandings, etc to deal with and organize their own inner environment before expressing it, extroverting it, objectifying it as a specific goal/mission to accomplish in the world.

4w5 for me. My use of Ti is more or less "practiced". However the bolded description fits me well. :)

Re Mort's Tertiary defence/temptation:
I strongly disagree with Lenore Thomson's idea of a person only needing their dominant and auxiliary function. Her theory works fine if you're talking about a somebody young (teen?). E.g. an introverted kid who's afraid to interact with others. For most balanced individuals, tertiary "defence/temptation" is mote. Dominant and auxiliary function usage should have became automatic. Therefore the tertiary is only a tool you recognize to use when necessary.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Tertiary Fe: "I want to tell him that his new coat looks like warm apple pie after someone had sex with it !!"

Secondary Ti in response: "But you are aware of the fact that in saying though, you will give away that we had experiences with warm apple pie ?!"

Primary Ne: "Haha guys, look, I put my socks over the hands and my boxer over the head and when I walk on my hands now making a handstand, people gonna talk right into my ass :D"

*Si in the meantime sees to it that the knot in the cord is tight enough*

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
i do spend a lot of time on introverted thinking when im relaxing or taking time away from regular day activities