• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prejudice against Sensors?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

Totally 110% agree with this post. I've long thought and consequently ignored most of the S-type driven "problems" people on MBTI-related forums have. I've noticed they've mostly proliferated by
  • teenagers or those dependent in some way on their sensor "persecutor"
  • those who have had a bad romantic or other intimate relationships and attribute the normal people problem stuff to a sensor-intuitive problem. There's a sadly defeatist attitude about these relationships on type forums.
  • ideological differences that people believe stem from the inability of sensors, particularly SJs, to relinquish what people believe to be dogmatic or archaic belief systems instead of once again looking to see what they are dogmatic and rabid about. Trying to beat the other person in an argument rather than trying to have meaningful discussion and cultivating an atmosphere where that can happen.
  • inability to connect in a meaningful way with other people and blaming the lack of connection on most others being sensors, instead of a possible problem stemming from self
  • rampant miscommunication and the expectation of others to psychically know what they feel, think, want, and need. This is especially apparent when people describe their ideal romantic relationships.

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate complaints and legitimate miscommunications but they've all been lost in the tsunami of completely unrelated type bullshit. I can't help but be reminded of the saying that people say that they see but they don't, because if they did you'd see some productiveness from seeing and knowing. I read so often about the intuitive ability to see many sides to a situation, but I see no evidence of this in the way people talk about their persistence interpersonal problems they have. People would rather climb Mt. Everest butt naked than actually hammer out the root problems. It's easier to blame it on the Type and throw your hands up in the air. The same problems will follow you from relationship to relationship instead of dealing with it.

And what makes it even sadder is that even though MBTI isn't legitimately accepted by psychologists I think it does contain the potential to at least get people primed into thinking that people are psychologically different and it's OK to be different within a healthy range of behavior. It lets people know that being introverted and extroverted isn't a defect and the same thing with the other dichotomies. But people continually piss in the well and it turns people off that could use it in a beneficial way.

juggernaut

Permabanned
If people recognized it for what it is, mommy issues, daddy issues, brother issues whatever, that would be one thing. But they ascribe it to some "Sensor" thing, and it's particularly in vogue to say it is some "SJ" thing. And as long as people are going to keep passing off their personal issues as having to do with type, then I can certainly keep challenging that. I'm not trying to get up in anybody's business, but people keep wanting to talk about their personal stuff, and then act like its off-limits.

I'm curious what you believe to be at the heart of these issues. From this vantage point it seems strange that any of them develop in a vacuum outside of personality type differences. There are several people on this forum that have expressed a great deal of warmth for their family members. Some of them feel fondness for the difference, as I do now, while others have a better connection to friends/family members of a similar type. In any case, all the mommy, daddy, brother issues do seem to boil down to personality type clashes. It just seems to depend on what the different parties in the dynamic expect. I don't think anyone who's posted expects their personal stuff to be off-limits, but to toss these accounts out as just "personal stuff" that don't really capture what goes on between different types strikes me as a little strange. I suppose we could talk about all of this in terms of the purely hypothetical MBTI archetypes, but is there any benefit in doing this? I'd much rather acknowledge that there are differences and see if there is a way to use those differences to my advantage. I don't want to expect more from people than they are capable of or dismiss someone out of hand because I think they are incapable of more. In other words, I don't want to saddle my poor old mother with heavy philosophical debate when I can get more out of our relationship by enjoy her propensity to see the beauty in things right here. I avoid a lot of conflict by knowing she is what she is and I am what I am...the mommy issues dissipate because I know they were never mommy issues to begin with (though it may look that way to an outsider who's written off this I/ENTJ's experience with her ESFJ mother as such). We were just two people stuck together as a result of circumstance that did not understand each other, as is often the case in type conflicts.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Totally 110% agree with this post. I've long thought and consequently ignored most of the S-type driven "problems" people on MBTI-related forums have. I've noticed they've mostly proliferated by
  • teenagers or those dependent in some way on their sensor "persecutor"
  • those who have had a bad romantic or other intimate relationships and attribute the normal people problem stuff to a sensor-intuitive problem. There's a sadly defeatist attitude about these relationships on type forums.
  • ideological differences that people believe stem from the inability of sensors, particularly SJs, to relinquish what people believe to be dogmatic or archaic belief systems instead of once again looking to see what they are dogmatic and rabid about. Trying to beat the other person in an argument rather than trying to have meaningful discussion and cultivating an atmosphere where that can happen.
  • inability to connect in a meaningful way with other people and blaming the lack of connection on most others being sensors, instead of a possible problem stemming from self
  • rampant miscommunication and the expectation of others to psychically know what they feel, think, want, and need. This is especially apparent when people describe their ideal romantic relationships.

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate complaints and legitimate miscommunications but they've all been lost in the tsunami of completely unrelated type bullshit. I can't help but be reminded of the saying that people say that they see but they don't, because if they did you'd see some productiveness from seeing and knowing. I read so often about the intuitive ability to see many sides to a situation, but I see no evidence of this in the way people talk about their persistence interpersonal problems they have. People would rather climb Mt. Everest butt naked than actually hammer out the root problems. It's easier to blame it on the Type and throw your hands up in the air. The same problems will follow you from relationship to relationship instead of dealing with it.

And what makes it even sadder is that even though MBTI isn't legitimately accepted by psychologists I think it does contain the potential to at least get people primed into thinking that people are psychologically different and it's OK to be different within a healthy range of behavior. It lets people know that being introverted and extroverted isn't a defect and the same thing with the other dichotomies. But people continually piss in the well and it turns people off that could use it in a beneficial way.

I have tried to emphasize this many times. Some people ALWAYS complain about how the S's around them are so awful, never understand them, etc. They never seem to think that the problem could be mostly on their own end.

heart

heart on fire
I have tried to emphasize this many times. Some people ALWAYS complain about how the S's around them are so awful, never understand them, etc. They never seem to think that the problem could be mostly on their own end.

This probably isn't the case with experiences as minor children but the thing is parents who are deeply dysfunctional or abusive probably aren't that easy to type. There are threads on here for talking about family dysfunction or problems with same sex parents though.

But like with my father, he tested INTJ and certainly acted like one at work and around most people, most of the time but his dysfunctions came out only in at times in his private life and were similar to examples of inferior(shadow) Se that come out under stress (there's a book called "Was that really me?"). The function that glares at you in a private sphere from a dysfunctional or mentally unstable parent may be inferior for them. jmo.

Just thoughts that I come to more and more.

I typed my mother ESFJ but someone else on here talked to me deeply about and made a good case that she was ENTJ operating in tertiary temptation and that what I thought was Fe was shadow Fi working through Te-Se. It made good food for thought...and made me convinced I can never know her real type since she's gone and cannot take the test.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
This probably isn't the case with experiences as minor children but the thing is parents who are deeply dysfunctional or abusive probably aren't that easy to type. There are threads on here for talking about family dysfunction or problems with same sex parents though.

But like with my father, he tested INTJ but his dysfunctions came out only in at times in his private life and were similar to examples of inferior Se that come out under stress (there's a book called "Was that really me?"). The function that glares at you in a private sphere from a dysfunctional or mentally unstable parent may be inferior for them. jmo.

Just thoughts that I come to more and more.

Sure, but there is no reason to think that S parents are any more dysfunctional or abusive than N parents. It's usually up to how their own parents raised them.

juggernaut

Permabanned
That's so weird to me. Several of my closest friends are NT's. A lot of INT's and INF's, actually.

I forgot to mention that two of the people I spend several hours a week with, voluntarily, are ESFJs. It just wasn't a comfortable dynamic growing up. Parent/child relationships are frequently very different than those we enter into voluntarily. Parents have a way of showing their worst sides to their children (myself included of course). All of their insecurities and expectations about how things are or should be get poured into their kids, even when they try hard not to do this (Beat's post about religion/family reminded me of this). I certainly don't find fault with my mom for being the person she is, she just was difficult to grow up "under". You'll see most of my posts regarding sensors in this thread have been quite positive. As I've stated several times, many of my closest relationships have been with Ss, particularly SPs. SJs are just harder for me in close dynamics because we both have certain ways we want things done and aren't particularly good at giving up our respective points of view.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have an ESFJ parent, and my N vs. S is about 50-50, and I had a pretty enjoyable childhood. Both of my parents are great (although they have their annoying quirks). Oddly enough, my mother has more of the traits that many on here associate with SJs, although I don't think I would type her as one.

What traits do people seem to associate with SJs that don't actually have to do with being SJ? When I get a mental image of an SJ, a particular image comes to mind. Mostly of people holding on to beliefs without questioning them, and trying to drill them into other people's heads, demanding that the law accommodate those beliefs, and so on. Everything from social roles, to ways of doing and acting. If that's not an SJ, then what is?

You and Kai would be the two SJs on here that I like, actually. Beat is okay, but I can't stand any of the others.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I never said this.

Oh, I know. I meant that the vast majority of people who recount these bad experiences as children are N's and they tend to type their parent/sibling/teacher as S's. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

heart

heart on fire
Oh, I know. I meant that the vast majority of people who recount these bad experiences as children are N's and they tend to type their parent/sibling/teacher as S's. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Thanks saying that. :)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
What traits do people seem to associate with SJs that don't actually have to do with being SJ? When I get a mental image of an SJ, a particular image comes to mind. Mostly of people holding on to beliefs without questioning them, and trying to drill them into other people's heads, demanding that the law accommodate those beliefs, and so on. Everything from social roles, to ways of doing and acting.

That's because you are biased. Ironically, your attitude toward SJ's is pretty much that of the evil SJ stereotype you have in your mind: inflexible, simplistic, and limited.

You and Kai would be the two SJs on here that I like, actually. Beat is okay too, but I can't stand any of the others.

proteanmix is a lovely person, too. And we just named a large portion of the senior SJ posters on here between us, haven't we?

heart

heart on fire
SJs are just harder for me in close dynamics because we both have certain ways we want things done and aren't particularly good at giving up our points of view.

I can't really break it down in terms of SJ v SP.

I find ISTJ easier to understand/relate to than ISTP.

I find ISFP easier to understand/relate to than ESFP.

ISFJ easier get along with than ESTP.

An ISTJ with good development of feeling can be so delightful.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That's because you are biased. Ironically, your attitude toward SJ's is pretty much that of the evil SJ stereotype you have in your mind: inflexible, simplistic, and limited.

Well, yes, I'm biased... but what is my bias exactly, where does it come from, and what is the truth about SJs? How does their real nature differ from my idea of their nature? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I admit I can be inflexible, simplistic, and limited sometimes. That's just a gut reaction, though, and not the result of real thought about the issue.

proteanmix is a lovely person, too. And we just named a large portion of the senior SJ posters on here between us, haven't we?

Isn't she an ENFJ? I guess so, but Kai is fairly new.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well, yes, I'm biased... but what is my bias exactly, where does it come from, and what is the truth about SJs? How does their real nature differ from my idea of their nature? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I admit I can be inflexible, simplistic, and limited sometimes. That's just a gut reaction, though, and not the result of real thought about the issue.

Well, first of all, some of the people you type as SJ's probably are not. Secondly, how much of the problem may be from your end? If you don't understand someone, the vast majority of the time it's not solely because the other person is totally irrational. Thirdly, bias can come from real-life experiences with poor examples of a type, but also learning about MBTI. I mean, if you look at the personality descriptions of SJ's, don't they sound like some of the nicest, most pleasant people you'd ever meet? You would know better than I why many N's seem to have this negative mindset toward them. It seems to come about after extended MBTI-related interaction with other non-SJ's. I've never read a personality type description and though to myself, "Wow, what a jerk." That decision happens through individual interaction. I can't even think of an abstract reason why I wouldn't like an NT or SP or NF based solely on type.

Isn't she an ENFJ? I guess so, but Kai is fairly new.

I thought she was one of the other two or three ESFJ's along with me.

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
I can't help but be reminded of the saying that people say that they see but they don't, because if they did you'd see some productiveness from seeing and knowing.

I completely agree with your entire post but just wanted to say I am so stealing this.

I'm curious what you believe to be at the heart of these issues. From this vantage point it seems strange that any of them develop in a vacuum outside of personality type differences.

We must be speaking past each other. That's what I'm saying, that they are often personality type differences that say nothing about the character of the people involved. I don't object to someone saying "I don't get along with SJs" (assuming they have typed correctly), what I object to is the conclusion that this is somehow a flaw in the SJs. I am saying that it's a personality conflict, and therefore morally neutral. OR, when it's not personality, it may be that the person you had issues with was weak, immature, of bad character, stupid, whatever. And none of that would be something unique to type.

This probably isn't the case with experiences as minor children but the thing is parents who are deeply dysfunctional or abusive probably aren't that easy to type.

This is a really good point. It's hard enough to type someone you are close to, because your feelings about them can sway your analysis. But typing a dysfunctional person? Ten times harder.

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
What traits do people seem to associate with SJs that don't actually have to do with being SJ? When I get a mental image of an SJ, a particular image comes to mind. Mostly of people holding on to beliefs without questioning them, and trying to drill them into other people's heads, demanding that the law accommodate those beliefs, and so on. Everything from social roles, to ways of doing and acting. If that's not an SJ, then what is?
Well Athenian, I would say all of those are traits you or others associate with SJ that are not intrinsic to someone with a preference for introverted sensing and extraverted judgment.

Some of those traits can be associated very easily with other temperaments, while some might be typical of, say, some SJs but not others.

- "holding on to beliefs without questioning them"

I honestly have never known an SP who went through life questioning their beliefs. Introspective questioning of belief systems is actually contrary to the core needs of SPs. They need to be able to act with quickness and respond to cues in the moment, with an optimistic outlook ("what I/we do will succeed") if they are to feel healthy. There is no time to question the beliefs underlying their actions. This is not to say they are not willing to question beliefs if presented with a novel viewpoint so long as it is pragmatic and capable of being acted on in the here and now.

Most of my close friends have been SPs, along with both of my parents. My parents hold onto the same basic, core religious beliefs they have long had, and with a passion. Of course, they do not always act in accordance with those beliefs (although they don't beat themselves up about it), but just try to question the religion to my mother (or even SOUND like you're questioning, even speculating or tossing about ideas is anathema). They don't question the beliefs that keep them going. ESFPs can be just filled with positive mantras they never question, and STPs are often spitting out the same maxims that they have trusted all their lives. Think of an ESTP like Donald Trump, a known improvisor, but he recycles the same phrases for years. His core beliefs never seem to shake.

On the other hand, SJs do not typically create belief systems, so they may constantly question their own values because they do not feel secure in them (weak or shadow introverted judgment). They look to external sources for their beliefs. SJs can also be rather easily guilted, especially SFJs. Thus they are the ones taking up the latest cause and feeling guilty if they don't do right by their children. Think of the ESFJ soccer mom who attaches to the latest liberal cause often promoted by an NJ (no peanuts on planes! switch to soy milk! no, soy milk causes premature puberty, switch back! breastfeed, no wait, go back to formula!). That is not someone who refuses to shake beliefs, they will quickly switch beliefs if a trusted source says it (be it a priest or Oprah or Suze Orman or whoever). My brother, ESFJ, is very open to new beliefs that can help him be a better, more responsible person.

- trying to drill them into other people's heads

Hmm, trying to drill things into other people's heads? I have to wonder what is meant by that. SJs often pass judgment on "people these days" or beliefs they don't understand, but they are not typically the ones who take the position of mandating beliefs. They are the supervisors, the overseers, the protectors, the conservators. But the powerful people who would like to force others to behave and believe as they see fit? SPs and NJs, overwhelmingly.

I think that if one is going to use type theory, then one should look to the theory for "SJ traits".

- demanding that the law accommodate those beliefs

Have you ever met a liberal NF with a cause? Because "demanding that the law accomodate beliefs" is something I personally am quite prone to and I admit it, as are many introverted feelers who think their values are the best values. This is not a putdown, but SJs are the followers. If someone is doing that, there is a strong possibility that it is not an SJ but one of the more proactive types.

Finally

You and Kai would be the two SJs on here that I like, actually. Beat is okay, but I can't stand any of the others.

Maybe it's you?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, first of all, some of the people you type as SJ's probably are not.

Actually, I've never typed anyone as SJ. I've relied on other people's (mostly INTPs) typings, because they seem to be the best at it.

Secondly, how much of the problem may be from your end? If you don't understand someone, the vast majority of the time it's not solely because the other person is totally irrational.

It's not about being rational, it's about being fair or compassionate. The SJs I have a problem with tend to be... mostly religious people, or the ones who insist on social roles for people that don't have anything to do with that person's feelings or thoughts.

It may be practical on some level, or contribute to social integration, but it seems inhumane to me. I just can't accept that it's okay to do that to people.

Thirdly, bias can come from real-life experiences with poor examples of a type, but also learning about MBTI. I mean, if you look at the personality descriptions of SJ's, don't they sound like some of the nicest, most pleasant people you'd ever meet? You would know better than I why many N's seem to have this negative mindset toward them. It seems to come about after extended MBTI-related interaction with other non-SJ's. I've never read a personality type description and though to myself, "Wow, what a jerk." That decision happens through individual interaction. I can't even think of an abstract reason why I wouldn't like an NT or SP or NF based solely on type.

Well, when I look at that personality description... they seem okay, but with the flaw that they are unlikely to question their internalized standards.

The thing is, there seems to be a strong impression among the typology experts I've spoken with on here that the SJ combination somehow creates these traits in people more consistently, inevitably, and irreversibly than others. I'm in no position to refute it (though I suspect there might be bias), because I don't know any SJs whose type I'm certain of. Everytime I come up with a theoretical argument against it, they reveal another experience with them that discredits my idea. So I don't know what to think.

I thought she was one of the other two or three ESFJ's along with me.

She lists as ExFJ. I don't think she wants us to know.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Have you ever met a liberal NF with a cause? Because "demanding that the law accomodate beliefs" is something I personally am quite prone to and I admit it, as are many introverted feelers who think their values are the best values. This is not a putdown, but SJs are the followers. If someone is doing that, there is a strong possibility that it is not an SJ but one of the more proactive types.

But people pushing for liberal beliefs doesn't bother me, because I approve of those. ;) It's mostly conservative religiously-based beliefs that bother me. The theory behind those people being SJs is that they're defending older ideas and refusing to listen to newer ones.

Maybe it's you?

What do you mean? You can't mean to tell me there's something wrong with me because I don't like them.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, I've never typed anyone as SJ. I've relied on other people's (mostly INTPs) typings, because they seem to be the best at it.

Do you have an account at INTPcentral? :huh:

EDIT: Oh, and how do you know those people you are getting types from are INTPs? :D