• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prejudice against Sensors?

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
I am currently not wearing pants. I no longer believe in them. Frankly, pants do nothing that good old fashioned sensual skin and waxy goat grease won't do.

And ENFPs don't, generally speaking, consciously attend to sensory functions, so it's only to be expected that they frown upon, you know, those people, sensory perceivers

If only they could be lifted up a little higher. I grant you, they're good in the fields, and we can keep their children as pets, but wouldn't have them in the house if I were you. They can't be trusted.

ENFPs, that is.

well it's a good thing i'm not an ENFP then. what was your contribution to the discussion again?

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I read some of the posts in this thread and it is disgusting. People need to learn to get a long and tolerate each other, irregardless of type.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
well it's a good thing i'm not an ENFP then. what was your contribution to the discussion again?

Fine, sunshine. It works for ENTPs too. (Except that ENTPs don't generally play quite so dumb.) Any person not generally used to using a given function might on occasion be tempted to observe its unrelatability to his own experience and find himself in possession of a proof of something.

So what was your contribution?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
On the forum, Intuition is held in high regard, and there's many instances of looking down on Sensors. I understand that the forum has way more intuits than sensors, but, why this prejudice? What about sensing (and its typological defintion) that makes it seem 'less superior' to intuition (as per the commentaries on this board)?

From my experiences with sensors on here...

The stereotypes about SJs are justified, but most SPs really don't deserve the same treatment.

SPs seem worse on the surface, but once you get to understand them and why they do what they do, you find they're really cool and their behavior makes perfect sense considering how they experience things.

SJs are the opposite. They seem reasonable enough on the surface, but they're awful, arbitrary, and backwards on the inside.

It's not always that simple, though. There are few individual SPs who are truly kind of tacky, and a few individual SJs who "get it." I'm just describing how I've seen them acting as a group on here. Just wanted to make note of that.

juggernaut

Permabanned

The stereotypes about SJs are justified, but most SPs really don't deserve the same treatment.

SPs seem worse on the surface, but once you get to understand them and why they do what they do, you find they're really cool and their behavior makes perfect sense considering how they experience things.

SJs are the opposite. They seem reasonable enough on the surface, but they're awful, arbitrary, and backwards on the inside.

It's not always that simple, though. There are few individual SPs who are truly kind of tacky, and a few individual SJs who "get it." I'm just describing how I've seen them acting as a group on here. Just wanted to make note of that.

+1

(I really do love the SPs, I get to spend the entire weekend with my SP sis at a very cool event that I probably wouldn't bother with otherwise...yipppeeee!)

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Fine, sunshine. It works for ENTPs too. (Except that ENTPs don't generally play quite so dumb.) Any person not generally used to using a given function might on occasion be tempted to observe its unrelatability to his own experience and find himself in possession of a proof of something.

So what was your contribution?

you can browse through the discussion between juggernaut and me, i'm sure you'll find that both of us have contributed.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The stereotypes about SJs are justified...

I think this is unfair. The same sort of things were said about SPs before there were many SPs here, and I think if we had more SJs here you would hear things like this less often.

It's easy to dismiss the reasonable SJs here as "exceptions" to the general rule of "SJ = awful, backwards person" when there are so few of them here. It would be harder to make those conclusions if there were more of them here, and I think we've seen that with SPs already, at least to a degree.

I understand that some of you have had issues IRL with people you believe to be sensors/SJs, but I still don't think it's appropriate to make these sort of comments on a forum aimed towards all types. This isn't "intuitive central" or "Non-SJ central". Fortunately these kinds of comments are not very common anymore.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think this is unfair. The same sort of things were said about SPs before there were many SPs here, and I think if we had more SJs here you would hear things like this less often.

It would actually depend on whether they mostly acted the same as the sample we have, or were more reasonable.
It's easy to dismiss the reasonable SJs here as "exceptions" to the general rule of "SJ = awful, backwards person" when there are so few of them here. It would be harder to make those conclusions if there were more of them here, and I think we've seen that with SPs already, at least to a degree.

Well, how am I to be expected to see more potential than that in them, if all I have to go on is horror stories and the majority of the sample here reinforcing said stories? It happened with more SPs, sure, but what you're hoping for might still not happen with more SJs. We might be too different from them in how we process things to coexist well.
I understand that some of you have had issues IRL with people you believe to be sensors/SJs, but I still don't think it's appropriate to make these sort of comments on a forum aimed towards all types. This isn't "intuitive central" or "Non-SJ central".

But... they're so... so... ugh. The things they do hurt people. I wish you could see it as clearly as I do. I'm not saying they're bad people intentionally, I'm just saying their way of seeing reality might not allow them to be fair or compassionate in any way that matters to us. That may even be why they don't come here... because they feel the same way about us. We live in one world, they live in another. We don't speak the same language, and our actions result in each of us stepping on the other's toes. We're inherently enemies of SJs, willingly or not.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I
Well, how am I to be expected to see more potential than that in them, if all I have to go on is horror stories and the majority of the sample here reinforcing said stories?

Can you be specific as to what the "sample here" has done to reinforce "horror stories?"

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok - here's my take on the matter. First of all, I love SPs. I may not always understand them (and vice versa) but I am capable of having close, loving relationships with SPs, whether it be family members or a boyfriend.

I do have a harder time with SJs, and I will agree with Athenian to a certain degree on this just because I have had BAD IRL experiences with them judging me or trying to push my way of thinking to be more like theirs (probably the opposite of what happens on the Internet, ha) but I don't hate them either. My grandfather was an SJ and he took very good care of me in the sense of providing for my physical needs and education. He was a religious family man, and not at all a bad person. However, I found it exceedingly difficult to have a meaningful conversation with him as I got into my teens and twenties without one or both of us getting annoyed. As long as I "played the role" we got along swimmingly. I do like some SJs, because they can make great co-workers or grandfathers or friends, but I definitely wouldn't marry one.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't care about letters, I care about minds.
Some people have their neurotransmitters all screwed up.

I suppose they do. Mine might be screwed up too.

I just don't like what SJs do to people... well, if the people doing it are really SJs. Otherwise, I just don't like whatever group of people (which we've somehow associated with SJs) is pushing for submission to these poorly conceived, unreasonable rules about right and wrong.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I do have a harder time with SJs, and I will agree with Athenian to a certain degree on this just because I have had BAD IRL experiences with them judging me or trying to push my way of thinking to be more like theirs (probably the opposite of what happens on the Internet, ha) but I don't hate them either. My grandfather was an SJ and he took very good care of me in the sense of providing for my physical needs and education. He was a religious family man, and not at all a bad person. However, I found it exceedingly difficult to have a meaningful conversation with him as I got into my teens and twenties without one or both of us getting annoyed. As long as I "played the role" we got along swimmingly. I do like some SJs, because they can make great co-workers or grandfathers or friends, but I definitely wouldn't marry one.

That's the kind of thing that I think makes them... awful, I guess. They try to force people to play non-negotiable roles that have nothing to do with how said person feels or thinks, dangling offers of physical needs being taken care (or threats of physical punishment) as carrots to ensure compliance with their immutable, unreasoning rules. They think they're doing something good and helpful, but it's really unfair, destructive, and cruel.

A lot of people say that they're okay because they usually fit the idea of "religious" or "family" people, but I think we really need to reexamine the notion that these sorts of people are inherently good. They may have good intentions and do some good things, but does that really make them good if they do so much harm?

Anyway, I'm glad you can sort of relate. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's the kind of thing that I think makes them... awful, I guess. They try to force people to play non-negotiable roles that have nothing to do with how said person feels or thinks, dangling offers of physical needs being taken care (or threats of physical punishment) as carrots to ensure compliance with their immutable, unreasoning rules. They think they're doing something good and helpful, but it's really unfair, destructive, and cruel.

A lot of people say that they're okay because they usually fit the idea of "religious" or "family" people, but I think we really need to reexamine the notion that these sorts of people are inherently good. They may have good intentions and do some good things, but does that really make them good if they do so much harm?

Anyway, I'm glad you can sort of relate. Thanks for sharing your experience.

:yes: Yes, yes I can relate to everything you just said. I really do believe that my grandfather loved his family and had good intentions - but that's just because I knew him as an individual. I've had other SJs come across to me as just downright mean and nasty and judgemental, like I've offended them in some way by not having perfectly coiffed hair or something trivial like that.

Having to play a role is painful if it's not how you're made, but I accepted it with my grandfather (as I got older, not as a teenager) because I remembered all that he had done for me as a child, and for some strange reason he sometimes voiced that he was strongly attached to me, which was nice, because he was usually so formal and showed love by buying people things. Then again, he could be very rigid and hurt peoples feelings a lot over dumb things.

When I think SJ I think of parents who say, "Do it...because I SAID SO."

juggernaut

Permabanned
Now that my ESFJ mother is starting to lose her marbles, she isn't too bad. Growing up an I/ENTJ with her as a mother, however, was about as pleasant as sitting on a hot poker. She was probably the one factor that pushed the development of my flimsy little part-time E more than any other, and why my E is still the one thing I like the least about myself. She believed the sun rose and set on my father, another NTJ, but the things that were acceptable/desirable in him as man were clearly unacceptable in a daughter. There was never a time was she didn't seem disappointed or embarrassed. The more disappointed and embarrassed she got, the more I wanted to disappoint and embarrass her. Now that I'm older I can see she did the best she could and she really did/does love me very much. I wouldn't wish and ESFJ mother on any N child however. They're brutal and they will never "get" you, regardless of how much they love you.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Now that my ESFJ mother is starting to lose her marbles, she isn't too bad. Growing up an I/ENTJ with her as a mother, however, was about as pleasant as sitting on a hot poker. She was probably the one factor that pushed the development of my flimsy little part-time E more than any other, and why my E is still the one thing I like the least about myself. She believed the sun rose and set on my father, another NTJ, but the things that were acceptable/desirable in him as man were clearly unacceptable in a daughter. There was never a time was she didn't seem disappointed or embarrassed. The more disappointed and embarrassed she got, the more I wanted to disappoint and embarrass her. Now that I'm older I can see she did the best she could and she really did/does love me very much. I wouldn't wish and ESFJ mother on any N child however. They're brutal and they will never "get" you, regardless of how much they love you.

I have an ESFJ parent, and my N vs. S is about 50-50, and I had a pretty enjoyable childhood. Both of my parents are great (although they have their annoying quirks). Oddly enough, my mother has more of the traits that many on here associate with SJs, although I don't think I would type her as one.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Sometimes I don't think they want to "get" you, because in their minds they should "fix" you. I think my grandfather's last wife was an SJ, too, and she wanted to "fix" my grandfather's entire family, and thought that people reading and talking about ideas was "weird", and god help me they deserved each other:devil:. I know that's terrible to say, but my mom says the same thing. At least as an SP even when she doesn't understand me, or we get on each others nerves, I know she loves me and all of my other sisters unconditionally and would do anything for us no matter how "weird" we are.

My exes mother is an SJ too. She thought I was a terrible person because I didn't make my bed every day or clean the bathroom to her standards.