• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prejudice against Sensors?

redacted

See that's kinda what I thought, too. Thanks to Nadir, though, I've found out there's actually no such thing as iNtuitives at all.

Good thing, too, cause I was pretty sure there for a minute.

Huh? I figure that's some kind of joke, but I don't get it.

heart

heart on fire
I've never heard someone say they don't like a sensor because of a non-sensor quality. It always has something relatable to S/N, or SJ/NP, because it's usually SJs getting bashed.

Of course they do..

"Stupid" people are called sensors.

WTF??? Please tell me I smell bullshit, or are you serious?

Geoff is saying some people on here have used the word "sensor" to mean stupid and yes it has happened. But then again all the types have some kind of negative connotation thrown at them: Whinners, robots, etc. Thinkers are calling Feelers stupid all the time.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Cute, but wouldn't the one with the metaphor be the one that Sensors supposedly "wouldn't get"?

But it was the only post that actually mentioned anything tangible. All the rest of it is just floating around in Vague Land.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
On the forum, Intuition is held in high regard, and there's many instances of looking down on Sensors. I understand that the forum has way more intuits than sensors, but, why this prejudice? What about sensing (and its typological defintion) that makes it seem 'less superior' to intuition (as per the commentaries on this board)?

I think the problem is that most intuitives are misanthropic:D
They need to channel their hate on some group that is causing them greviences, and SJs seem to be the target group.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pretty much every Disney movie celebrates a suppressed misunderstood dreamer/iNtuitive type who emerges victorious in a world of practicality and routine. These films make booga bucks and are the definition of mainstream. :thinking:

YouTube - Belle - Beauty and the Beast

[youtube=vyP4kuvXe9A]Belle[/youtube]

heart

heart on fire
Pretty much every Disney movie celebrates a suppressed misunderstood dreamer/iNtuitive type who emerges victorious in a world of practicality and routine. These films make booga bucks and are the definition of mainstream. :thinking:

They appeal to the subconscious of a S majority world. Subsconscious appeal is always stronger. It's not really about the N against the world in these situations that makes it interesting----It's the struggle of the subconscious person against the conscious one in the driver's seat, that's what makes it so appealing to mass audiences. I think this is why so many protagnoists are N as well.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think it's just frustration about life out in the big offline world where S is valued over N. Most complaints that I see about S are mostly about S not understanding and not valuing N. I guess we're not allowed to complain about the intolerance of S because it's wrong for us to be intolerant intolerance of us. ;)

It would be inaccurate to say that sensors are intolerant of intuitives. Some are, true, but many are not. People who don't understand or value intuition are called assholes or shortsighted, not sensors.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They appeal to the subconscious of a S majority world. Subsconscious appeal is always stronger. It's not really about the N against the world in these situations that makes it interesting----It's the struggle of the subconscious person against the conscious one in the driver's seat, that's what makes it so appealing to mass audiences. I think this is why so many protagnoists are N as well.
So what would appeal to the subconscious of the iNtuitive?

heart

heart on fire
So what would appeal to the subconscious of the iNtuitive?

I would imagine movies about strong, misunderstood S types fighting against some N type world. But it has to be laid out in compelling drama so that disbelief can be suspended, anything spoken frankly without compelling reason spoils the effect and weakens the sentiment, pulls one back into the conscious mind.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm with the school of thought that we don't use one function in isolation when evaluating a situation, that parsing out which function is the culprit can get tricky.

Probably so, unless you actually speak with the person and find out what internal values are the reasoning behind whatever opinion.

You're right that an S-type person could have better N than an N-type. A brilliant ESTP is probably better at all of his functions than a mentally retarded ENTP.

But again, look at the posts on this thread. It's no coincidence that lots of Ns have a definite communication gap with Ss in general. This doesn't mean it's impossible for an S person to exercise brilliant iNtuition, just that most of them don't exercise on it a high enough level to relate well to strongly N-type people, and vice versa. Ns just feel left out a lot of the time because we are less common than Ss, not because we think our preferred method of data-gathering is inherently better than theirs.

Like I was saying earlier, it's all about averages. The feelings of being ostracized, not fitting in, etc. in the real world might very well be due to S vs. N differences, even if some Ss have better iNtuition than some Ns. I'm sure the inverse is also true because intelligence is a variable here, too.

Even without labelling specific functions as the culprits behind particular situations, we can still get enough information so as to be useful by directly interviewing a person regarding his functional preferences. We may not be able to say, "He's acting this way in situation x because of function y", but we can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that, given appropriate self-descriptions, he tends to prefer either Sensing or iNtuition more often than the other...and that's all MBTI really seeks to do.

It's four independent variables about personal preferences in data gathering and decision making. It doesn't need more proof than that because, as I said before, all it really states on its own is the existence of those four preference scales.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Out in the real nitty gritty world I see far, far more appreciation for S and more approbation for being N. It's okay to be genius and N if you can sell an invention, but most jobs want S skills. Run of the mill N just means you're a hard to understand pain in the arse who loses their car keys a lot and occassionally says something noteworthy that makes people laugh. That's about it. :D

Sure, that's what you feel. But does it really reflect the world? And primarily the S:N divide? What tangible evidence would support your view?

(Not health, not friendships, not bullying, not job performance, not income, not relationship satisfaction. They all support Ns being "preferred" in the real world, if anything at all. As full disclaimer, I'm not claiming causation, I'm saying that I see no evidence of Ns being maligned at any age, any level or in any condition.)

heart

heart on fire
^ I'll never believe N as a function is "preferred" in the working world, I mean ALL the working world, not just certain select positions. Maybe genius level NT for certain jobs.

But go ahead and post all your statistics if you want to and I will look them over. Maybe I'll change my mind.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
On the forum, Intuition is held in high regard, and there's many instances of looking down on Sensors. I understand that the forum has way more intuits than sensors, but, why this prejudice? What about sensing (and its typological defintion) that makes it seem 'less superior' to intuition (as per the commentaries on this board)?

It's not all intuitives. ;)
This same issues seems to come up time after time...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
^ I'll never believe N as a function is "preferred" in the working world, I mean ALL the working world, not just certain select positions. Maybe genius level NT for certain jobs.

But go ahead and post all your statistics if you want to and I will look them over. Maybe I'll change my mind.

Except when I worked as a filler in a supermarket, where my ESTJ superior didn't appreciate the fact that I wanted to organize one row of products in a "different" way, it always seemed to me like N was quite appreciated in most positions I've been :huh: especially when you can use it to fill in gaps in information, something usually essential in the workplace

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:huh:

I don't fully comprehend why there is such a debate about all this. Yes, there are less Ns IRL and, yes, this puts us at a disadvantage but so what? How could Ns boast about being all special and different if they were all common-place and understood? :rolleyes: I have no dislike or prejudice against Ss. I might like my way best but I can manage to go about life without hating on everyone else for being different to me. There is very likely to be a prejudice around here, but I don't see the need to aggravate others over it, guys. Way too much bitching and complaining going on around here. :steam:

Also it seems that people here seem to think that Ss can't be 'soulful', spiritual or deep, and are therefore inferior because of it. I know many sensors that are just as 'soulful' as intuitors. I have a ISFP friend who has a child-like amazement at the world and can veer off mid-conversation because she saw some pretty bird fly by. Her soulful dreaminess simply comes from a wonder at the here and now rather than from some ideas in her head. It is only a nuance in the expression of worldly contemplation.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
intuition is held high regard in things veyond common knowledge, where experience is the only teacher. For instance like fighting in a war, gaining experience and reuse that experience into the war again. We can use napoleon as an example. some people just know hjow to fight wars without anyone teaching them.

It is also held high regard in art, problem solving, and book writing and where knowledge demands application in real life.
I don't really believe in intuition anyway, even though i scored high as an intuitive. I think intuitives think more about long term things as per day to day basis.