• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotions in response to movies/tv shows

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but...

Just wondering what emotions people feel in response to different movies/tv shows.

I just watched an episode of The Office on tv (the UK one, not the American one), I love the show, so funny, but argh, it's also torturous! I can hardly look sometimes. I don't know if I can think of any other thing that makes me feel so so embarrassed. Oh yes, Borat. That's another one, so funny, yet so embarrassing.
I'm not sure if embarrassing is exactly the right word, but it's the closest that I can think of at the moment.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I think that's the art of some types of comedy. It can put the most pitiful situations in a humorous light. I think it makes you feel ashamed because you're meant to be amused by the character's misfortune, and you are, but you know it's actually pretty sad.

Extras was even more torturous to watch. I love that.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I am often unable to look at the screen out of embarassment for the people on it. The 'questions' segment of beauty pageants always does this to me. ARGH!! Must. Hide!

I also snivel over diaper commercials and cheesy TV movies.

I'm a disgrace to my type.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I am often unable to look at the screen out of embarrassment for the people on it.
Segments involving mixups or blunders practically drive me from the room.

deleted
I was extremely close to bolting out of the theatre in the middle of Watchmen. I don't recommend that movie. It is horrible.

V

violaine

To the OP... I believe what you're referring to is called the "dumb chills". That feeling of horror when watching someone making an ass of themselves. I don't really get them watching movies anymore but I will irl. I had a hard time watching Sarah Palin interviews for a while.

As far as how I feel watching certain movies, if I feel like crying I really hate not being alone. Especially if the person I'm with asks if I'm alright and looks at me during the movie. I can't cry after that and it feels weird. I ask people close to me to please never do this. I watched a movie recently where I just wanted to lie on the ground and sob my eyes out at the end but couldn't as I knew my friend was watching me and waiting. :/ It kind of ruined the movie a little for me.

Last edited:

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I watched a movie recently where I just wanted to lie on the ground and sob my eyes out at the end but couldn't as I knew my friend was watching me and waiting. :/ It kind of ruined the movie a little for me.

What movie was it? I'm so desperate to watch an intense tearjerker right now, sometimes I specifically watch them so that I can cry unabashed and empty myself of the bad humours.

I also get that excrutiating squirmy feeling whenever I watch someone making an ass of themselves on TV. Less so with the office because it's intentionally stupid.

V

violaine

^I will rep you if you really want to know, but it will spoil it. Hmm, I might put a list of movies together so you won't know which one...

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I usually take on the feelings of the characters while watching a TV show or film. For example, in an embarrassing situation I will feel embarrassed, in a situation where the character is taking revenge I will feel vengeful, etc. If I already normally feel a certain way, the film will amplify and sustain that emotion...

An interesting film to watch to see what kind of reaction you have to it is "Lost in Translation." This film isn't action or plot or story, and it's not even characters. The film is completely 100% tone and feeling. Each line, each event, the lighting and the sets, everything, goes towards creating the tone. Tone is the real character of the film.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An interesting film to watch to see what kind of reaction you have to it is "Lost in Translation." This film isn't action or plot or story, and it's not even characters. The film is completely 100% tone and feeling. Each line, each event, the lighting and the sets, everything, goes towards creating the tone. Tone is the real character of the film.

I love Lost in Translation :wubbie:

For days after, "suckin on my titties.." will be stuck in my head and my INTP will randomly demand "Lip my stockings!"

littlemissgiggles

MBTI Type
entj
Enneagram
Segments involving mixups or blunders practically drive me from the room.

Yes. The ones I absolutely can't handle (I can't even read about them in books) are when someone knows something, and the audience knows they're right, and they know they're right, but no one else believes them. I don't see how that kind of frustration is entertaining.

G

garbage

I sat quietly and teared up at some song about letting a loved one go, and my friend thought I was just sitting there bored and just halfway listening to it :emot-emo:

If the acting in a movie sucks, it can't affect me at all. Otherwise.. yeah, the heartstrings get pulled..

Petite Etoile

MBTI Type
InTJ
Enneagram
I get really empathetic in movies/tv shows.

I used to cry EVERY week watching Grey's anatomy and even Desperate Housewives.

I don't really mind awkward/embarrassing movies, but my boyfriend honestly can NOT watch any awkward scenes or movies like Meet the Parents. I think it's so weird because it doesn't bother me at all, i just think it's funny. In the middle of the movie he will just put his head down and stop watching it if it's getting awkward lol.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but...

Just wondering what emotions people feel in response to different movies/tv shows.

I just watched an episode of The Office on tv (the UK one, not the American one), I love the show, so funny, but argh, it's also torturous! I can hardly look sometimes. I don't know if I can think of any other thing that makes me feel so so embarrassed. Oh yes, Borat. That's another one, so funny, yet so embarrassing.
I'm not sure if embarrassing is exactly the right word, but it's the closest that I can think of at the moment.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

I'm like that too. I respond very strongly to emotions and situations in tv shows even if I realize it's not real. :smile: