• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and testing?

Are your tests consistent? Which traits do you think you possess?

• Inconsistent - E

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Inconsistent - I

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Inconsistent - S

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Inconsistent - N

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Inconsistent - T

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Inconsistent - F

• Inconsistent - J

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Inconsistent - P

• Consistent - E

• Consistent - I

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Consistent - S

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Consistent - N

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • Consistent - T

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Consistent - F

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Consistent - J

• Consistent - P

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
G

garbage

I'm curious as to whether there's some sort of correlation between certain dichotomies and variability in testing.. or, really, any other form of typing such as reading descriptions.

For example, do Js frequently test as the type they believe themselves to be? If you're a perceiver, do you test as many different types?

It's been said that the standard way for an NT to choose his type is to just read the descriptions and pick the one that absolutely describes them (because one nearly always does), and it's also been said that, if you're pretty well unsure of your type, you're INFP :)

So, if you're inconsistent in the way you test, pick the all traits that correspond to your type under inconsistent.. if you're consistent, do the other.

For me, EN's pretty well consistent, but the last two dichotomies aren't at all.. I test as any of ENTJ, ENTP, ENFP, and ENFJ. So, I marked "inconsistent" and E, N, T, J.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm a really clear cut NP. And 100% Ne on function tests so I should be an extrovert. But I often test borderline with I, and sometimes borderline with T.

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Damn it, I accidentally marked J as inconsistent. Should've been P. Oh well.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty clear on all dichotomies. Only after I learned what MBTI was did I test any other type on the indicator, which I think was just me throwing it off because I knew what each question was looking for.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am consistent now that I am no longer in a depression, like I was from the time I started learning about typology five years ago, until about one year ago.
I am not extreme in any fashion. The only function I have that is poorly developed is introverted sensing. My Te, Fe, Ne, Se and Ti are fairly equal... My Fi is "average use" and my Si is "limited use". My Ni is my best developed function by far, followed by Ne.

I would say I am not very extroverted for an extrovert. I would probably dare to say I would be an ambivert, if that term were commonly used. My T and F are both on good use, but I cross the line over to Thinking with maybe 10%. Not a very strong J, either. Probably around 10-20% over the line.

This has caused some major problems in typing myself, being so close and not really knowing enough + depression and hardship. I've learned a lot about myself in the last few years though... And according to the MBTI I would be an eNtj.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm -always- ENP.

Extroversion has become more consistent with age. I tested ENTP when I was too young to read the words on the test, but it was not very distinct extroversion. When I took it senior year of high school for psych class, I was 50/50 on I/E, and came out XNTP. My psych teacher seemed to be amazed at how rare that was. Then when I took it this year (second year of college), I came out a distinct E, and have ever since.

I've always been a ridiculously strong iNtuitive.

Thinking and Feeling vary, but it's usually T. I find the result usually depends on the way the tester phrases the questions. The latest official MBTI I've taken gave me 2 more T than F. On cognitive process tests, it usually goes Ti > Ne > Fi

I've always had a Perceiving attitude towards life, and have always come out a very strong P.

So, I checked distinct E,N,P, and inconsistent T,F.

Hope that helps some.

Does anyone else have any experiences similar to this? Certain functions becoming stronger or weaker as you matured, or wobbling between T and F?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm always IXXX. When I test I get every insane result you can think of, I blame this on the fact that my preferences are all borderline but I. I know that I'm INFP, so there's no use in testing anymore or trying to find anymore out. Hence the bordlines I am Infp as you see in my type on the left, they are capitalized/not capitalized because of how well I prefer which one.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm consistent with I and N. And most of the time consistent with the J, but not always. T/F is most variable.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
There's no question I'm an NP. Apart from ENFP, all the other results have been NPs.

My doubts regarding I vs E were mainly due to a long period of seclusion. I can be very introspective but there's no doubt I'm more comfortable when I'm socializing with people I like. The ENFP description also helps explain my sudden urges for alone time every now and then.

ENTP is the type I test more often as, after ENFP. I've come to understand though, that even though I like thinking, and indulge in it all the time, in life or death situations I tend to go with my feelings. So my Ti is pretty strong but my Fi is still higher.

I'd say I tested as ENFP 90% of the time. After reading the descriptions though it makes it all much clearer. That being said, I do relate to NTPs sometimes, specially ENTPs.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I test consistently I, N and T ... all of which I believe myself to be. I mostly test as P, but occasionally as J. I believe myself to be a P, but I do have some J qualities that come to the surface. I'm not sure if these are learned, or if I am close to the P/J cusp.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
When I discovered MBTI I took the test and come out as INTJ and I never tested as something else. Unless I was playing with them to see what will happen. (I did that couple of times)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm very clearly ExTx, the other two dichotomies are less significant, but still I get consistent results for most of the time. Let's say that, for a given test of average accuracy, I will get 60 percent of the time ENTJ, 20 percent of the time ENTP, and 20 percent of the time ESTJ. But the more I take a given test, the more the scores converge to ENTJ.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
the N/S dichotomy should be less significant to an entj than to an entp, to whom the T/F dichotomy should be less significant (less clear)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the N/S dichotomy should be less significant to an entj than to an entp, to whom the T/F dichotomy should be less significant (less clear)

Should and should... People evolve differently. As for me, Ni and Ne are my strongest functions, which is pretty odd.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
hm. maybe your (or anyones) definitions of Ni/Ne are odd ?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As you may be able to see in my signature at the moment, I often test nearly borderline on the P/J.

I am both very unorganized and obsessively-compusively organized at times, which makes me look like more of a J than I really am. I have those days when I seem kind of INTJ and I go through those milliseconds of doubt, but I have tested as INTP about 6 times out of 7 over the past year, and I'm fairly confident that this is my type.

And yes, I do test borderline F/T sometimes too, more often lately than in the past. I have a feeling this is going to be my next letter to give me those milliseconds of doubt...

Wait a sec, "a feeling"? I meant "the patterns in the data are leading in such a direction"... This is more serious than I thought! :shock:

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Introversion and intuition seems to be most consistent overall.

Not surprising, really. If people weren't aware that they were freaks, they wouldn't have ended up joining this forum.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
My forum identity is probably best summarized as INxJ. My wife recently took an MBTI test on my behalf and came up with ENTP. My HR/Training department also concluded ENTP.

When dealing with others in person, I enjoy the warmth of intellectual exchange. Online, I feel much more inclined to offer a protective/curative shield. I have a harder time "reading" people online. This deficiency could account for my stilted awareness. Haha. Who knows, really?

In person, I'm ENTP. Online, I'm INxJ.