• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typeism

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I searched for a thread that examined this aspect of the MBTI personality theory. Typeism provides a unique opportunity to look into some aspects of prejudicial thinking because there are people who are sincere in their assumptions regarding type. With the other "isms" like sexism, racism, etc. there is a cultural and historical context that influences the assumptions of prejudice. These can often be connected to underlying political and religious thought. Most people learn these assumptions from their parents and authorities they trust. My own understanding was that prejudice was primarily driven by this deep context and indoctrination during childhood. This is not typically the case with typeism. This is a fresh way of categorizing people and yet shares a similar outcome without culturally based prejudices. It is interesting just how powerful these prejudicial conclusions can become even without any deeper cultural context. Or is there a deeper context that is labeled differently and this system is a way of expressing those unquestioned values?

What are the reasons that even intelligent, insightful people embrace assumptions about others and label them as inferior based on their MBTI category when it is in itself a system that is not scientifically founded? As a system that does not have a valid method of measurement, it would seem the critical thinker would have some reservations about its validity.

This is a link to a review that summarizes the book, "The Cult of Personality..." by Dr. Cathy Goodwin.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
What are the reasons that even intelligent, insightful people embrace assumptions about others and label them as inferior based on their MBTI category when it is in itself a system that is not scientifically founded?

Not enough Ti.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think some people tend to see personality typing as something in which their type or temperament is 'superior' to others.. "Gifts Differing" and other personality type books indirectly caused much of the typeism after statistics showed that N's did better on standardized tests than S's and had more 'intellectual jobs'.

heart

heart on fire
People have things that bother them in their interactions with other people's personalities their whole lives but maybe only a vague way to describe it. If they have something like tyoplogy it gives them a language to use to describe tensions and feelings that were already there. At least that's how I see it.

Long before typology I knew my father looked at the world in a different way. I would have said harder, colder etc, which reveals my own prejudices/preferences as Feeler. I didn't need to know about typology to feel or know the tension existing between his view and mine. My mother accused me of being "head in the clouds" all the time. I didn't need typology to know there was tension between her preferred way of looking at life and mine. Typology merely provided a language to more clearly express things. It didn't create the tension.

If a person had a uncomfortablness with Feelers before learning typology, then can one really say typology created the prejudice or is it just making a previous prejudice more valid and tangible? I say it's building on something that pre-exists it.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not enough ENFJs in the world. Troo dat. ;)

It's sad, isn't it, Toons? How something enlightening and focusing and directive can be turned, once again, into something divisive and ugly? Segregation deserves a massive cosmic eyeroll, girlfriend.

Heart makes a good point too. Maybe typology puts a finger on what bothers or antagonizes people, and the internal anxiety or division extroverts itself.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think some people tend to see personality typing as something in which their type or temperament is 'superior' to others.. "Gifts Differing" and other personality type books indirectly caused much of the typeism after statistics showed that N's did better on standardized tests than S's and had more 'intellectual jobs'.
And it does make sense for people who prefer certain attributes in themselves to prefer these same ones in others.

The problem with those statistics is that the original measurement for determining type does not pass the validity test for measurements, so what can the statistic built on the flawed system of measurement actually determine?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Survival. If you want to ensure a comfortable existence for yourself you have to (of course you don't have to; I am putting myself in an elitist's shoes) a) become aware of the existing social class (or create one) and b) make damned sure you're in an upper tier.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
And it does make sense for people who prefer certain attributes in themselves to prefer these same ones in others.

The problem with those statistics is that the original measurement for determining type does not pass the validity test for measurements, so what can the statistic built on the flawed system of measurement actually determine?

Like most prejudiced isms it is measured based on nothing objective.

heart

heart on fire

But the everyday world really values S more than N.
E more than I
T more than F
J more than P

So the feeling of superiority can only really live inside the abstract worlds of MBTI message boards. Doesn't seem likely to take over the world.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Are you familiar with the idea of narcissistic supplies? It's very apropos.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you familiar with the idea of narcissistic supplies? It's very apropos.

Can you explain this, Edahn? I'm not familiar with the term.

Is it about an ego-centric search for something that justifies your views? Or am I way off?

heart

heart on fire
Narcissists cultivate yes men who supply them with platitudes.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
E more than I
T more than F
J more than P

So the feeling of superiority can only really live inside the abstract worlds of MBTI message boards. Doesn't seem likely to take over the world.

So society favors ESTJ's?

G

garbage

Have there been many examples of blatant "type discrimination" that have had actual consequences?

As to why it happens.. it's just idiots misapplying the tool, just as any tool can be misapplied and misinterpreted by idiots. I blame the idiots.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Have there been many examples of blatant "type discrimination" that have had actual consequences?

As to why it happens.. it's just idiots misapplying the tool, just as any tool can be misapplied and misinterpreted by idiots. I blame the idiots.

Eh, most of it either gets ignored or mobbed out of existence.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
E more than I
T more than F
J more than P
Well, I'm totally f***ked then. :D

Oh, you're a INFP too. Lets be useless and impractical together :hug:

Seriously though, its totally true. Its not 'society's' fault or anything. Its just that these (E,S,T and J) are the most effective attributes to get yourself through life. I'm not talking about personal preferences but more of what is generally valued in the world - these prefences are simply more practical and helpful. If you were choosing a president/prime minister/whatever based on each of the dichotomies (disregarding the overall type) you would pick those above the others. Of course this does not mean a ESTJ is the most ideal type of human being, but merely that having a couple of the 'valued' preferences is going to be very beneficial in helping you engage with the world.

I guess this is the reason INFPs feel like failures and freaks. We have absolutely no practical qualities and instead have to supress our natural instincts to function effectively. And that's not easy, believe me. I wouldn't call this typism exactly, though. Its just the way the world works. ;)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, I'm totally f***ked then. :D

Oh, you're a INFP too. Lets be useless and impractical together :hug:

Seriously though, its totally true. Its not 'society's' fault or anything. Its just that these (E,S,T and J) are the most effective attributes to get yourself through life. I'm not talking about personal preferences but more of what is generally valued in the world - these prefences are simply more practical and helpful. If you were choosing a president/prime minister/whatever based on each of the dichotomies (disregarding the overall type) you would pick those above the others. Of course this does not mean a ESTJ is the most ideal type of human being, but merely that having a couple of the 'valued' preferences is going to be very beneficial in helping you engage with the world.

I guess this is the reason INFPs feel like failures and freaks. We have absolutely no practical qualities and instead have to supress our natural instincts to function effectively. And that's not easy, believe me. I wouldn't call this typism exactly, though. Its just the way the world works. ;)

The EJs are most inclined of all types, I think, to want to influence and control the world around them. It's not about those traits being innately more effective, just much more influential. They naturally want to set the structures and standards for the rest of us to live up to, almost every institution in society is heavily influenced by EJs. When "success" is defined almost entirely by them, it's hardly a level playing field.