• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I work more effectively and productively when...

When do you work more effectively?

• I have a plan or goals I can work to (I am Judging)

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I do what I have to do as I go along (I am Judging)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I have a plan or goals I can work to (I am Perceiving)

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • I do what I have to do as I go along (I am Perceiving)

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what exactly do you mean by goals/plans?

I ask because I think everyone has at least the end goal in mind.

G

garbage

I do what I have to do as I go along (I am Judging)

Plans have a way of ending up falling short of reality, so I'd rather not just spin my wheels going off in some direction, locking myself into one path, until I'm certain of where my work is supposed to be headed. Wasted effort is not exactly effective or productive.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
when i don't

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I picked "I do what I have to do as I go along".

In some situations, such as large scale projects, a plan helps me out. In a situation such as writing an essay, or other small scale projects, I work much better and produce much better results from winging it. I drove my grade school teachers insane because no matter how much they tried to reinforce it, I would never use their outlining or planning techniques for essays.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I voted "goal" but I have still to really figure out when it is that I work more effectively. Any time now....

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I picked plans/goals. I need some kind of external organisation so I have an idea what direction I should head. However, I'm probably somewhere between the two options as my plans are never terribly detailed and are pretty flexible to being shifted in changing situations. It's when I'm stressed and short on time that plans get me in trouble. Then, I tend to lock myself into one and always...always...end up running into some little thing that trips me up and sends my plan flying (and then I freak out...and then I make a new plan).

I'd like to eventually have the best of both worlds: flexibilty and adaptability of someone without plans with the clear-headedness and organisation of someone with plans. Or at least get to a point where I could work in both sitations. I hate the stress of watching a plan suddenly fly out the window as it suddenly becomes utterly useless.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do what I have to do as I go along, plans just get in the way.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I said that I prefer a plan, but I meant a short-term kind of plan, I mean, I suppose everybody thinks "now I am going to do X because that will lead to Y".

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do what I have to do as I go along (I am Judging)

Plans have a way of ending up falling short of reality, so I'd rather not just spin my wheels going off in some direction, locking myself into one path, until I'm certain of where my work is supposed to be headed. Wasted effort is not exactly effective or productive.

Yeah, that's how I see things too. Maybe it's an NJ thing?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Plans have a way of ending up falling short of reality

I HATE doing detailed plans or working out in advance what I will be doing. I kinda need an end goal (like 'x needs to be completed by the end of 2011') but that's all the structure I usually need, so I voted 'I do what I need to do as I go along'.

I assumed that the goals and plans meant detailed ones, like what some of my colleagues seem to need.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
The key phrase for me is "more effectively." I feel pretty capable of on-the-fly functioning, but good to have goals and at least a roughed-in plan so I can achieve what I want.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To be as effective as possible I’ll need an end goal and plan in mind, however, I’m going to enjoy making it up as I go more and as such would keep motivation for longer that way.

LucrativeSid

More effectively? With a plan, of course, but that's usually not my style. If your question isn't meant to be taken so literally, then I'll say I would almost always do things as I go. It's more fun that way and I'll stay more motivated. If it's something very important, I fully recognize the power of having clear-cut goals and plans.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I will not externalize my plans (as in, write them down) unless it's really needed, but I always have a rough course of action mapped out in my mind. Of course, that can be and usually is modified along the way, but I don't rush into things helter skelter.

heart

heart on fire
I make goals all the time, but the way my mind works makes them futile. I get more accomplished if I just allow what happens to happen. I get better quality work done if I do what I have to do as I go along.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a plan or goals I can work to (I am Perceiving)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I work more effectively and productively when...

...I'm not signed into TypologyCentral.

Edit: and I'm a Perceiver.