• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I work more effectively and productively when...

When do you work more effectively?

• I have a plan or goals I can work to (I am Judging)

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I do what I have to do as I go along (I am Judging)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I have a plan or goals I can work to (I am Perceiving)

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • I do what I have to do as I go along (I am Perceiving)

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
When I have a general idea of what I am doing, leaving it flexible somewhat and every day putting effort into each day by day, towards it, helps exponentially.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
there should have been 4 more options, to distinguish between extroverted and introverted people

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
In my current job I'm the one who makes the plans/goals. So, I chose the other option. In previous jobs, I would have worked more effectively with clear goals but not necessarily plans, as I work better when I'm left to find the best route to the goal...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I make a schedule of what needs to be done without filling in the details already or limiting myself by insisting on a set time to do a specific task.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Definitely, as I go along. No contest. First of all, for me accomplishing any task is a more cohesive, thorough process if I can do it... AS I do it. Trying to make a detailed plan before I start a) is mind-numbingly boring, b) never is sufficient (the plan always leaves things out or fails to take them into consideration) and most importantly c) takes focus away from the task at hand and puts it onto following and/or maintaining the plan. Now this doesn't mean that I just jump into things with absolutely no consideration about what I'm doing and what I need to succeed, especially for complex things, but less is almost always better (and let's face it... most stuff isn't that complex).

I have a *horrible* time at work with this. I'm "required" to make a "detailed design plan" before I start anything... no matter how minor. Solution? Just do the job, *then* write the "plan" when I'm done, telling what I did. Sure, I could probably get in trouble for it... but anything else is just a waste of time and asking to miss stuff. Solutions, possible problems, and ways to address things come out naturally as I'm doing things - but NOT when I'm focusing on paperwork. Just the way it is. Wish me luck in getting the boss to believe it, though.

Note: I consider "plans" very different from "goals" - knowing what you're trying to do (goals) is important, but is usually a simple and pretty vague outcome-based thing. Saying how you will go about achieving it before you even get started (plans) is what I usually find counterproductive.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When I find something in my hands that needs be doing, I do it well. I do things as they pop up, and don't really have a system or organization when dealing with tasks at hand, but either do them when you arise, or do them when I have nothing else going on..which is usually the result of procrastination.

I find that I can do tasks really well..when I eventually get around to doing them, which is the hardest part, it takes off and I can do a really great job, as there's always a way.