• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and looking happy

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What type are you and what kind of face to you present to the world?

I don't have a "set" face I present to the world.

I know that sometimes, when thinking, I have a sad/tired look on my face because of the ever-present shadows under my eyes (they're there even when I've had lots of sleep!) and the natural downward turn of the corners of my mouth. But at the same time, I could easily be grinning about something I just thought of.

I know that I have a very expressive face that usually betrays how I really feel about something...especially when I'm not aware of how I feel at the time. It's very frightening for me for someone to tell me the expression on my face and it be exactly a reflection of what I was thinking at that moment. It's frightening, because the only time I'm aware of the expression on my face is when I'm purposefully trying to show an expression for some kind of effect. So, most of the time, I don't know what my face looks like at any given moment. Even if I'm smiling, I don't always know what else might be communicated. It's because of this that I'm a terrible liar.

When around other people, I smile and laugh a lot because there is so much information I'm receiving that a lot of it ends up being very amusing...aside from someone being outright funny.

G

garbage

Ok so I've started to notice after reading this thread. If I see a person I usually will smile at them. It's my automatic response to another human.

Me too, and I think I just realized what's been happening

I'm usually smiling a little bit, which I guess prompts them to smile at me, and then I guess I smile even more at them after that. It's like some insane empathy feedback loop, or something.

That's why people seem to think I'm so trustworthy :doh:

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
I have to agree with Erinavery on this one. Regardless of our features, our inner selves will express themselves with the tools we have to work with. A person with kind eyes can glare in hate at someone. A person with a naturally pouty smile can be bubbling with inner exhuberance.

Now, if someone's features "match" their type, then its all the eaiser for them to be accurately interpreted as they communicate with others. Those whose features are not indicative of their personality might just not be as easily read by others. Does that make sense?

Yes, this is right. My features are delicate and I've been told time and again that I look deceptively sweet and innocent and - I suspect - slightly unintelligent. I've also been told that when people see me smile, the innocence assumption goes right out the window! But it takes a little while for people to see me as I actually am, and I'm used to being dismissed the first one or two times I express my opinion about something thought or work related with new people.

Guess that's not so much MBTI, but it definitely shows that a face doesn't always accurately convey what's behind it.

Nat

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't have a "set" face I present to the world.

I know that I have a very expressive face that usually betrays how I really feel about something...especially when I'm not aware of how I feel at the time. It's very frightening for me for someone to tell me the expression on my face and it be exactly a reflection of what I was thinking at that moment. It's frightening, because the only time I'm aware of the expression on my face is when I'm purposefully trying to show an expression for some kind of effect. So, most of the time, I don't know what my face looks like at any given moment. Even if I'm smiling, I don't always know what else might be communicated. It's because of this that I'm a terrible liar.

That sounds just like me.

I think I look a little annoyed/unhappy at work when I'm looking at my computer - its just me concentrating though. lol. :p

pockets

MBTI Type
HUMM
I know a rather pessimistic girl who frequently remarks on my 'extroversion', 'inability to stop smiling when talking', 'general happiness'
But I also know people (including an ESFJ male) who tells me I 'eat with a very pained expression on my face'. And I like eating, and am not anorexic, though I am very uncomfortable opening my mouth wide in mixed company seeing as how I'm inclined to bursting into laughter at any minute and spitting cake on people. True story.
I think I make excessive eye contact though. An ESFP (I think) girl frequently looks away when I'm talking to her, even though I don't think I really pay much attention to what she's saying, I just turn to her when she's talking (which is normal for me).

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
i've been told by many people that i am always happy, and that i always have lots of energy :) ! like some other ENFP's said, my instinctual reaction around people is to smile and be generally happy and positive.

:) :) :)

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
How do so many people know how they look?

I've been told that I'm very easy to read, facially by some people, and by others it's impossible to read me.

People have thought I'm sad when happy, happy when exceedingly low, really angry when just a bit down in the dumps...

I apparently have trademark looks for being pissed off, content and when something's REALLY wrong though.

I'm say my xSFP friend looks the most obviously happiest.

INT's can look very moody, stony or pertubed.

An INFJ friend has the strongest 'dead' look I've seen in my life, it made me want to cry...Come to think of it I did cry later on...it was THAT sad.

The same friend and her INTJ sister are terrifying when somewhat annoyed, it's like their faces' are shooting some ray of doom at all in their path.

VagrantFarce

My brother's friends are scared of me because my face doesn't emote when I'm around them. It's only because they annoy me! :(

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm pretty easy to read -- well, at least it's easy to tell when I'm in a good mood.

My default expression is critical, though.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The other day I was chewing while I walked by someone and made eye contact. It bothered me that I didn't smile. Then I remembered that most people don't smile at eye contact. My !@#$% ENFPness.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
The same friend and her INTJ sister are terrifying when somewhat annoyed, it's like their faces' are shooting some ray of doom at all in their path.

:rofl1:

I get that sometimes. I'm working on turning down the death-ray glare to a look of mild disdain.

I think my expressions must not be very easy to read. My friends always seem to interpret my "having a nice time" face as being angry/annoyed, and my "angry/annoyed" face as being amused, and my "I'm making a joke" face is apparently non-existent. And then some days I'll be in a really pleasant, lighthearted mood, and people will respond with shock or accuse me that I must be in love :laugh:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've learnt how to smile. Most of my smiles are fake although most people think them real. It's become a habit. I used to put my head down and look up with my eyes to give a really evil sense to people. It was like a silent "dont screw with me".

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
people either see me as very happy or very sad. i dont think either is wrong

MBTI Type
ESFJ
INTP and am often told I look mean. But like the INTJ above, I've mastered the ability to smile and have to do this at work. It's actually quite sinister but only children seem to pick this up.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
um...E....F....and people tell me I smile a lot.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
E, not F, but I'm a natural optimist and I look like it.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i lived in the nordic countries for a little while, and it bothered me greatly that people did not smile at one another while walking down the street. i'd completely forget and bounce along grinning like... well, an american.

lol. i smile a lot, and laugh a lot. but it's not hyper or loud, and i've never been called out as being annoying for it.

i don't think most people expect my dry humor though :D

an enfj friend of mine has a fairly good poker face, despite e and f. he has an excellent death ray, too

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, when I was younger everyone thought I looked pissed or sad because my jawline was messed up, which has changed in the past 6 months since I have gotten surgery.
Now people say I look much happier, but I haven't done anything to really change that.
Quite interesting, really.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Interesting topic.
Most people tell me that I'm happy and that I don't have a care in the world.
It's annoying since I'm not THAT happy.
I have a friend who listens to me when I think out loud, he thinks I'm pretty miserable :))).

But lately I've actually been happy and excited most of the time.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Huh. Well, I don't get told I look mean or unhappy when I'm not feeling it. I guess my facial expression more or less reflects my mood, or at least looks neutral.

I guess I've gotten pretty good at putting friendliness into my face. It doesn't exactly feel fake, but it is a conscious decision I make, as in "flash this person a smile"...I am able to feel friendly for a moment when I do it, so it doesn't feel forced, but it is deliberate.