• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"mixed" or in-between types

sculpting

Hi Guys,

1)A question-many people will test in-between two types, however, if you follow the dynamic model then certain in-the-middle types should not be allowed as you are swapping a primary pref for a inferior pref-like ESTP/ENTP. Only a letter apart but very different when drawn the dynamic way.

Are there certain "in-between" types that are actually common or allowed and certain that are not?

2) Say an ENFP is Ne, Fi, Te, Si. Can they or any other type move towards being more in the middle of a function-like Between Ne or Ni? My mind says this seems more different than swapping a primary for a secondary pref, but your thoughts?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
totally depends on the model. given the controversies, i would rather rely on observation

nanook

a scream in a vortex
but for starters, lets just assume what carl jung assumed: that functions are all available, but are subject to conscious "differentiation" and that this differentiation is a process in lifetime.

so if you start life with Fi you may or may not decide to develop a helping function at some day. probably early in life, but who knows.
then you may choose between Ne and Se. now you are a type :)

if you start with Ni you may choose between Fe and Te...

eventually you can regress ... try a different direction. that should not be optimal. but who is optimal?

redacted

Hi Guys,

1)A question-many people will test in-between two types, however, if you follow the dynamic model then certain in-the-middle types should not be allowed as you are swapping a primary pref for a inferior pref-like ESTP/ENTP. Only a letter apart but very different when drawn the dynamic way.

Are there certain "in-between" types that are actually common or allowed and certain that are not?

2) Say an ENFP is Ne, Fi, Te, Si. Can they or any other type move towards being more in the middle of a function-like Between Ne or Ni? My mind says this seems more different than swapping a primary for a secondary pref, but your thoughts?

Yeah I've always said that ENTPs and INFJs are very very similar for this reason. If you turn an ENTPs intuition inward, they become INFJ.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what about an enfp who's highest used functions is apparently NE FI FE NI and SE
it confuses me terribly.

redacted

what about an enfp who's highest used functions is apparently NE FI FE NI and SE
it confuses me terribly.

The way I resolve that confusion is to stop thinking of Fe and Fi as different functions (same with Ne/Ni, etc.)

There are 4 functions (Thinking, Feeling, Sensing, Intuition), and each has a value on a continuous scale of introversion/extroversion. It can account for any function order.

There are trends, though...like introversion of T correlates with extroversion of F, etc. etc. But it doesn't have to be exact complementary values...it's just a correlation.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so...basically it just means i'm an enfp driven by intuition and feeling more than anything.
and it doesn't matter that these Ne, Fi, Te, Si. are not the most used?
interesting.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
so...basically it just means i'm an enfp driven by intuition and feeling more than anything.
and it doesn't matter that these Ne, Fi, Te, Si. are not the most used?
interesting.

I think the dominant and auxiliary functions can have the I/E inverse be close to as pronounced, overshadowing the tertiary and inferior.

My top 4 are Ti, Ne, Te, Ni I think.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay...interesting, thanks! :D

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Hi Guys,

For starters the MBTI model is set up to reflect preferences so there is no "in-between". A preference is a preference. The percentages or strengths of the test are irrelevant, it just measures how you answered those particular questions, not how much of an N you are. It's either or: N or S.

We use all of the functions to some extent so someone could easily have good use of both Se and Ne, one will just be their default or preference.

Many people seem to have good use of the opposite 'face' of their primary functions so someone who's dominant function is Ne can probably use Ni, but again one will be preferred.

Preference != Use

it confuses me terribly.
You are talking about the cognitive function order and as far as I know there isn't a standardized, accepted, valid test for cognitive functions the same way as there is for MBTI. So the results of those tests are experimental.

As I said above, lots of people test high with both the internal and external versions of their primary functions so it's not surprising that your Ne and Ni and Fi and Fe are all high. It just confirms that you are definitely an NF.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
in my mind all functions deal with the same objects. there is no type-relevant division of outer and inner objects. by objects i also mean topics (subjects to "thinking" and "feeling"). objects are dealt with in a certain style. that style is either called introverted or extroverted. that style has been explained by carl jung, albeit mostly by example. you need to find the abstract patterns, that make the various examples look analogue or opposed in a jing/jang way. carl jungs language should be very appealing to enfp.

i believe that switching that style (the x-version) for a specific function is much harder, than checking out a known set of objects using different functions. so if you are dealing with a situation at hand using Ni and Fe you may also use Te or Si, but not Ne or Ti, because that would throw your world upside down, like a ZEN slap in the face. the style defines all the "borders" between "objects". because really everything is either one-ness or emptiness. in order to switch the style you would have to break on through to the other side (as "the doors" put it). the known set of objects would dissolve into something unrecognizable (new)
this should at least be true for your first function.

if people claim to use both Ne and Ni its most likely because they do not understand the principle of introversion and extroversion. they observe that they deal with psychological topics or topics maintained in memory or fantasy in an intuitive way, all of which they think of as "internal", but they also deal with observations of people in an intuitive way. so they thing its Ni and Ne. its one of them, all the time.

another possibility is that they are confusing either Fi or Ti with Ni and correctly notice their Ne.

if you work (live) consciously with Ni, Ne may come to you in dreams. or maybe not.

but thats just the way i see it
basically i made it up. its kind of implied by all i define as "known".

on the other hand, if you look at that animated picture with the dancing woman who turns .. the break from right brain to left brain is pretty seamless, so maybe my ZEN fantasy is over the top

Last edited:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've learned a lot about MBTI and cognitive processes in the last few months, and I still think I'm some kind of a "balanced" NTJ (strong T, weak J). A strange combination for sure, I'll try to point out the discrepancies:

- I love debates and mental challenges, but it's not absolutely necessary for me to be 'the leader' (+INTJ)
- Ni > Te (+I)
- I often speak before thinking, definitely louder than most introverts (+ENTJ)
- VERY expressive facial gestures (+E)
- Large groups 'drain' me (+I)
- Love to play "devil's advocate" and stand up for those I don't even like for the sake of honing my rhetorical skills (+E)
- I'm always wearing a mask of some sorts: I'll easily talk to strangers in a carefree and humorous way... (+E)
- ... but I won't let anybody close to me until I'm 100% sure of their intentions, I won't show you my 'true' form for a very long time (this includes friends and most past relationships, +I)
- Not intimidating, but tough and tenacious, I won't quit until I win

Guess that makes me an XNTJ. It's true that I equally enjoy being "the wizard of Oz" and "the man behind the curtain" in most situations.

wolfy

awsm
EDIT Maybe the chart doesn't actually answer the question. I agree with what the others said. From a practical perspective I just think of Fi and Fe as simply feeling and Se Si as sensing. In that way it becomes useful to me at least. Otherwise my mind gets caught up in theory.
Especially since I relate strongly to the socionics model of ISFP also.

This interesting chart MBTI Proximity Chart may help.
Reading the Chart

This is a Karnaugh map, arranging the 16 temperament types so that each type is surrounded by the four types that most closely resemble it (by having three letters in common). Note that when you go off the edge it "wraps around" to the other side. So for example, INTP is surrounded by its four nearest neighbors ENTP, ISTP, INFP, and INTJ.

Each temperament has one exact opposite. This opposite is always located two squares away in a diagonal direction — go whichever direction you need so you stay on the grid. For example, ESTP and INFJ are opposites.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
socially promiscuous!? well! i never!

G

garbage

From most every possible angle, I identify with ENTJ, then ENTP closely after, then ENFP, and maybe ENFJ after that. I regularly test as any of the four.

My weak judging preference totally blows up in terms of function order because the orders of ENTJ (Te, Ni, ...) and ENTP (Ne, Ti, ...) are pretty well different.. but that's why I personally don't believe function order to be relevant or accurate after, say, the first two functions, and that the introverted and extroverted versions of functions aren't necessarily as different as many believe.

In my opinion, just as N/S preference is a sliding scale, so is Ne/Ni.. it all depends on the degree of preference toward applying it to the extroverted or introverted realms. My ENFJ friend, for example, practices absolutely no empathy at all, so he's not gonna prefer Fi over Fe very readily, but I see myself preferring Ne and Ni nearly equally.

I guess this is in line with what Evan is saying as well..

sculpting

For starters the MBTI model is set up to reflect preferences so there is no "in-between". A preference is a preference. The percentages or strengths of the test are irrelevant, it just measures how you answered those particular questions, not how much of an N you are. It's either or: N or S.

We use all of the functions to some extent so someone could easily have good use of both Se and Ne, one will just be their default or preference.

I dont buy that these are simply preferences. I think you are dealing with true biological differences that begin to emerge quite early. You naturally are more skilled at certain combinations than others. Ie your brain is wired to work certain ways and process information a certain way. Perhaps I missed the thread where we established thie diff betweeen preferences and cognitive differences. The "preferences" are truly cognitive and biological.

So my goal is to try and understand what cobinations are allowed and what are "forbidden" I guess. What you say above seems flawed.

sculpting

i believe that switching that style (the x-version) for a specific function is much harder, than checking out a known set of objects using different functions. so if you are dealing with a situation at hand using Ni and Fe you may also use Te or Si, but not Ne or Ti, because that would throw your world upside down, like a ZEN slap in the face. the style defines all the "borders" between "objects". because really everything is either one-ness or emptiness. in order to switch the style you would have to break on through to the other side (as "the doors" put it). the known set of objects would dissolve into something unrecognizable (new)
this should at least be true for your first function.

if people claim to use both Ne and Ni its most likely because they do not understand the principle of introversion and extroversion. they observe that they deal with psychological topics or topics maintained in memory or fantasy in an intuitive way, all of which they think of as "internal", but they also deal with observations of people in an intuitive way. so they thing its Ni and Ne. its one of them, all the time.

another possibility is that they are confusing either Fi or Ti with Ni and correctly notice their Ne.

if you work (live) consciously with Ni, Ne may come to you in dreams. or maybe not.

but thats just the way i see it
basically i made it up. its kind of implied by all i define as "known".

on the other hand, if you look at that animated picture with the dancing woman who turns .. the break from right brain to left brain is pretty seamless, so maybe my ZEN fantasy is over the top

I think you may be on to something here. I use Ne mostly but sometimes can shift into an odd Ni like mode after being isolated or alone for days ata atime. It is like becoming another person. Do you think meditation (or medication :cheese: ) helps folks make that particlar transition?

From observing others I see that Se and Si are like polar opposites and could never simply swap. The same for Te and Ti but not to such an extreme. I have a verys strong Fi but I feel Fe is controlling and detest it honestly. So I think this internalization/externalization may be a bigger change than actually switching to a different function altogether.

G

garbage

I think you may be on to something here. I use Ne mostly but sometimes can shift into an odd Ni like mode after being isolated or alone for days ata atime. It is like becoming another person. Do you think meditation (or medication :cheese: ) helps folks make that particlar transition?

A meditation that focuses inward could likely bring out inward-focusing functions.

From observing others I see that Se and Si are like polar opposites and could never simply swap. The same for Te and Ti but not to such an extreme. I have a verys strong Fi but I feel Fe is controlling and detest it honestly. So I think this internalization/externalization may be a bigger change than actually switching to a different function altogether.

I agree that Se/Si seem to be the most "different" introverted/extroverted versions of the same function. I think the perceived stark difference between Se and Si is due to the fact that they work in a very direct and tangible way and so can be more readily apparent, but there's definitely some overlap in their definitions.