• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni: "Mapping Between Signs and Meaning"

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Depends... sometimes it's just the satisfaction of being able to sit back and see it. Other times, it gives you the solution to a problem (or at least the approach to take) and that prompts me to get cracking on it. Rarely do I tell people more than the fact that I'm happy because I've figured it out. Like a 1-2 sentence vague condensed description that makes sense to me but probably means nothing to the listener. Then I run off with a ridiculous smile of my face.

That's what I suspected it might do. Not everything my Ne cooks up I get a strong urge to tell people, it depends. My Ne served my Ti, so a good majority gets shunted on to Ti, and not released to the world.

In a similiar fashion, Ni has no master, and so decides selectively what to give to Te, and the times when that happens is responsible for the urge to solve a problem.

I think it works like this for me: Ni discovery => Se attempt at physical realisation of that discovery => Ni discovery based on Se representation...and so on and so forth like two mirrors reflecting each other.

Could you elaborate on what specifically your Se does?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Extrapolation:
Each function competes to be the one you use. The conscious functions (the 4 functions, ie TiNeSiFe for INTP) especially have the most influence. They give you urges to do specific things, different for each type. Dominant functions are the strongest, followed by auxiliary, tertiary, etc.

For an INTP, it looks like this:

Ti - urge to analyze, to understand, to solve a logical puzzle.
Ne - urge to express new ideas, to be unique
Si - urge toward stability and security, away from the unknown.
Fe - urge to be liked, to emote, to be the center of attention.

Interestingly, the tertiary can be a stronger draw then the axillary, because its of the same attitude (as discussed here). This is how INTPs can get stuck in a rut, not absorbing any new information, because Si is "safer", because it's also introverted.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Excellent ideas, Costrin! Here's my extrapolation for INFJ:

Ni: urge to have deep insights, to be wise, to see what others do not.
Fe: urge to help others, to share insights, to establish rapport.
Ti: urge to analyse, to categorise, to solve puzzles.
Se: urge to do something tangible, to indulge the senses, to be popular.

Note the subtle differences in Ti and Fe as they are in different positions in the INFJ's typological hierachy. I also agree that the pull of the tertiary can override the auxiliary, this is how INFJs can get stuck in "analysis paralysis", endlessly going over the same data and drawing different conclusions, because Ti is introverted and "safer" than sharing ideas via Fe.

redacted

Ni doesn't care about insights themselves. Ni just wants to zoom out. "Being wise" is Fe.

Might as well add the "to be popular" here. Overall, urge to implement values. (Or, to stop others from implementing bad values, which can I guess be thought of as implementing good values anyway).

To figure things out, throw ideas out, verify ideas. I basically think of it as a knife, cutting away the fat (which Ni brings in by the boatload) and leaving the meat.

Basically, to gain good sensation. Act on impulses, etc.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Excellent ideas, Costrin! Here's my extrapolation for INFJ:

Note the subtle differences in Ti and Fe as they are in different positions in the INFJ's typological hierachy. I also agree that the pull of the tertiary can override the auxiliary, this is how INFJs can get stuck in "analysis paralysis", endlessly going over the same data and drawing different conclusions, because Ti is introverted and "safer" than sharing ideas via Fe.

ill do an ENTJ one :D

Te: urge to be correct, to cut out redundancies, to focus on an objective
Ni: urge to integrate meta-viewpoints and archetypes in order to extrapolate
Se: urge to be popular, to be physically powerful and physically apt
Fi: urge to contemplate the worth of myself, my actions, goals and strategies

notice how the position subtly changes how I decided to write about Ni and Se

nanook

a scream in a vortex
apollonaut, evan: the Ni Fe part in you postings sounds familiar
Babylon Candle said:
Te: urge to be correct, to cut out redundancies, to focus on an objective
Ni: urge to integrate meta-viewpoints and archetypes in order to extrapolate
sound true, albeit the formulation indicates how you Ni is rather slave than servant to a Te world. (also its a bit unclear to me)

i especially like your Te, because it matches evans and mine and one aspect of appolonauts Ti. i am kidding. it matches our Te. (NiFeSiTe!)

more extroverted people in this thread, please :)

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Ni person (NJ) will focus more on a specific aspect or attribute of a mental representation of a pineapple and see how that specific aspect links to other things. For example pineapples is for eating, you get canned slices of pineapples and those typically have a whole down the center because they're de-cored, then it reminds you of donuts, chocolate glazed donuts and now suddenly you want hot chocolate.

This is such a good description of the way my mind works it's uncanny. A recent train of thought at the psych hospital where I work overnight: a child who threw up at bedtime but then slept soundly -> bedwetting issues in patients I've worked with -> I am working on a new unit with younger kids, so bedwetting might be more prevalent -> all the different common causes of bedwetting, from abuse to medication -> whether the child is heavily medicated -> speculation about the original child's pathology simultaneous to recalling how heavily kids I've had to wake up on bedwetting precautions sleep (due to medications, mostly) -> whether if someone can sleep through wetting the bed, he can sleep through vomiting -> I need to check on this child extra often during the night to make sure he's okay. Ti checks some of that runaway speculation, but I did look in on him more often than usual. And sure, that's more or less common sense, but the way I ended up there and the reasoning behind it isn't. I often notice that I take the long way around to get to conclusions other people arrive at simply for totally different reasons. Often it's an asset in that you see things that other people don't see, and other times it's a liability because you don't see what's "obvious." It's interesting how the train of thought flies off in some random direction, then makes its way inevitably back around to where you started, often with new insights. I always find it fascinating to talk to other NJs (especially INJs) because there will be the most random threads of conversation and it seems like we always end up going in a giant loop and ending up back at the topic that started the conversation.

Anyway, this is going to sound weird, and I realize it's coincidental and have always balked at the "psychic" INFJ description...but, though that patient did not get sick again, when I checked on him towards the morning, he had wet the bed. I can't even really pinpoint what caused the mental leap from one to the other, but it's interesting that that was instrumental in the thought process that prompted my extra concern even though it wasn't a factor in the patient's history to my knowledge.

Heh, my apologies for offering such a specific, kind of gross example! Less specifically, sometimes I'll randomly become fascinated by some everyday thing I normally take for granted -- like, say, a subway system -- and wonder who had the idea to make that and why, and how it was done and how it affected all the people involved in designing and creating it, and what it would be like if it weren't there, etc., etc. It's usually a fleeting train of thought, and most of the time it plays out in my head and I don't verbalize any of it. On the occasions that I do, I'll usually just get weird looks. This sounds so schizo when you write it all out, but the fact is that you don't verbalize or act on, like, 95% of the leaps in the process.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heh, my apologies for offering such a specific, kind of gross example! Less specifically, sometimes I'll randomly become fascinated by some everyday thing I normally take for granted -- like, say, a subway system -- and wonder who had the idea to make that and why, and how it was done and how it affected all the people involved in designing and creating it, and what it would be like if it weren't there, etc., etc. It's usually a fleeting train of thought, and most of the time it plays out in my head and I don't verbalize any of it. On the occasions that I do, I'll usually just get weird looks. This sounds so schizo when you write it all out, but the fact is that you don't verbalize or act on, like, 95% of the leaps in the process.

hokie912, you've pretty much described what the inside of my head is like! Even as a young child I used to look around at the cityscape I grew up and and think: "Everything I can see was built by people, I wonder what it was like before, who had the idea to build here, how did it develop, etc, etc".

And yes, if I verbalised any of this I used to get some very strange looks!