• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

You're not 100% anything.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The MBTI is inherently flawed, and I'm not exactly sure how to fix it - or whether it's even worth it to fix it. How you score depends on so many factors - how much you know about the test, how you feel at that moment (I always score as more introverted when I'm depressed; go figure), and whether you're answering as your actual type versus idealized type. Not to mention, the dichotomous nature of the MBTI is rather suspect. I behave differently in different situations, but the MBTI is not exactly designed to test that.
This is something I've been thinking about a bit lately. Even the E and I might not be mutually exclusive and that seems like the clearest potential dichotomy. The way a person is socialized has many dimensions. Just as there are introverts like me who really enjoy the company of one person, but wear out really fast in groups, there are also people who thrive on groups, but then need their private shut-out time. There are people who are in the middle of the E-I pole, and there are people who hang out at both extremes, and then there are every other possible permutation of the two concepts.

Originally the S-N dichotomy seemed plausible because there are people who think and learn concretely vs. abstractly. (edit) I have wondered in particular about the intelligence required for detectives which requires a heightened awareness to every detail in their surroundings combined with intuitive leanings to know where to look and how to formulate based on fragments. (/edit)It occurred to me that perhaps even that is not a true dichotomy, but can have every possible intertwining and interrelationship.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Anyone who is 100% of anything probably has his or her own set of personality problems...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
To me, that says something negative about the test.

How many questions are there dedicated to each of the 4 dichotomies on the test? About 15? So it's not that far of a stretch for a strong N or F or whatever to get a 100% score on one of preferences.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
How many questions are there dedicated to each of the 4 dichotomies on the test? About 15? So it's not that far of a stretch for a strong N or F or whatever to get a 100% score on one of preferences.
Yeah, the test I took when I was 18 was quite a bit longer.

Again, you just keep pointing out flaws with the internet versions of the test - and, IMHO, the test itself. Even the longer version.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, the test I took when I was 18 was quite a bit longer.

Again, you just keep pointing out flaws with the internet versions of the test - and, IMHO, the test itself. Even the longer version.

Aren't there some official versions on the net? I'm not quite sure what the offline official tests have that some of the better MBTI tests on the net don't. Other than the fact that you have to be wary of poor versions of the test online.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The MBTI is a system of preferences. Therefore, I do feel it is possible to score a 100% on one or more of the spectrums.

Just because you prefer to always be introverted does not mean you can't be extroverted. I always prefer to have a job with a high level of job security. If I lost my job and there were no jobs to be had and I was out of money, the a job was offered to me that had little security yet provided money to live on, I would take it. Does that mean that I changed my preference for a job with security? Nope. I would still prefer to have a job with security.

I do think that this portrays a flaw inherent in the MBTI dualities as they are defined. You can get through life without introversion, intuition, feeling, or perceiving. You cannot get through life without extroversion, sensing, thinking, or judging. If I stuck to my preferences, I wouldn't be able to hold down a job (extreme introversion means I wouldn't talk to anyone to get a job in the first place), I wouldn't be able to drive to the supermarket to get food (extreme intuition means I wouldn't sense things in my external environment), I wouldn't be able to figure out how to get out of my house anyways (extreme feeling means I wouldn't be able to logically think through the steps of turning my doorknob to pull open my front door), and I would be locked into a state of perpetual hesitation to do any of these things in the first place (extreme perceiving means I would not be able to reach a decision on doing any of these things, even if I otherwise would have had the capability to do them).

The first time I had heard of the MBTI, I took it from a psychologist who was trained in giving the MBTI and was interested in personality types. I'd have to dig up the original score, but I scored strongly INFP. Weakest link was T/F; I think I scored a 60F/40T or something like that. I don't disagree that people can "game" the test, but I think people worry about this just a bit more than is warranted. If people make the decision to portray themselves as they wish to be rather than the way they are, they don't require a test to facilitate such a facade...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The MBTI is a system of preferences. Therefore, I do feel it is possible to score a 100% on one or more of the spectrums.

Just because you prefer to always be introverted does not mean you can't be extroverted. I always prefer to have a job with a high level of job security. If I lost my job and there were no jobs to be had and I was out of money, the a job was offered to me that had little security yet provided money to live on, I would take it. Does that mean that I changed my preference for a job with security? Nope. I would still prefer to have a job with security.

I do think that this portrays a flaw inherent in the MBTI dualities as they are defined. You can get through life without introversion, intuition, feeling, or perceiving. You cannot get through life without extroversion, sensing, thinking, or judging. If I stuck to my preferences, I wouldn't be able to hold down a job (extreme introversion means I wouldn't talk to anyone to get a job in the first place), I wouldn't be able to drive to the supermarket to get food (extreme intuition means I wouldn't sense things in my external environment), I wouldn't be able to figure out how to get out of my house anyways (extreme feeling means I wouldn't be able to logically think through the steps of turning my doorknob to pull open my front door), and I would be locked into a state of perpetual hesitation to do any of these things in the first place (extreme perceiving means I would not be able to reach a decision on doing any of these things, even if I otherwise would have had the capability to do them).

But having a 100% MBTI preference is different than being 100% introverted/thinking/judging... To show that someone can't or very rarely score 100%, you'd have to show how everyone who did score 100% was mistyping themselves with the preference(s).

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone who scores 100% I, I have news for you. You're not. You can be a strong I - even a very strong I - but I seriously doubt you'd be hanging around this or any forum.

Whenever people tell me their #s - unless they took the test professionally before knowing anything about it - I'm skeptical. The result usually reflects that they know what the test is looking for, and they're idealizing some type in mind. Saying you've taken the test "hundreds of times" and have come out this way each and every time just strengthens the test-gaming theory.

The MBTI is inherently flawed, and I'm not exactly sure how to fix it - or whether it's even worth it to fix it. How you score depends on so many factors - how much you know about the test, how you feel at that moment (I always score as more introverted when I'm depressed; go figure), and whether you're answering as your actual type versus idealized type. Not to mention, the dichotomous nature of the MBTI is rather suspect. I behave differently in different situations, but the MBTI is not exactly designed to test that.

Agreed - and I think this would be the case no matter what. I think every group would know exactly how to manipulate answers on this test. (The Ns through pattern recognition, the Ss through observation, Ts through systems, Fs through gut feelings). Indeed - anyone who is a skilled test taker could manipulate the results. To prove this, I always take a test to match what I think the teacher wants to hear. The first time I took this test, it was given by a psychology professor who tested ISTJ. And guess what results I got? ISTJ. Trust me - no matter what I am - I am not ISTJ. :cool:

By the way, want to hear the really weird thing? I did not find out he was ISTJ until after we all got our answers. Muhaha :devil:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Getting 100% on a MBTI test doesn't make me 100% E or 100% P. It means that I scored 100% on that test for those items.

No point in getting up in arms about it.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Getting 100% on a MBTI test doesn't make me 100% E or 100% P. It means that I scored 100% on that test for those items.

No point in getting up in arms about it.

I kind of agree, I would just say that 100% E on MBTI and 100% extroversion are meant to be two different ideas.

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Anyone who scores 100% I, I have news for you. You're not. You can be a strong I - even a very strong I - but I seriously doubt you'd be hanging around this or any forum.

Whenever people tell me their #s - unless they took the test professionally before knowing anything about it - I'm skeptical. The result usually reflects that they know what the test is looking for, and they're idealizing some type in mind. Saying you've taken the test "hundreds of times" and have come out this way each and every time just strengthens the test-gaming theory.

:hi:

As you know, I agree. The System also totally glosses over the effect of externals - nurturing, environment, cultural norms, even mental stability. A fearful/phobic person will naturally yield higher sensing scores due to constant scanning of their environment, for instance. I think there should be a neurosis-testing component of the test. The test-retest validity of the MBTI is very damn poor, too.

I always score higher on the sensor stuff when I'm depressed. That doesn't mean sensor stuff is by its nature depressing or that intuition is the realm of the mentally free. It's specific to me.

:yes:

I score higher on F and I when I'm depressed.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I kind of agree, I would just say that 100% E on MBTI and 100% extroversion are meant to be two different ideas.
Okay, I would too.

However, people still use the concept of 100% on the MBTI as an excuse for why they're so introverted/sensing/thinking/judging. I can't stand to be around people; I'm 100% I. I hate theory; I'm 100% S.

No, no you're not.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Okay, I would too.

However, people still use the concept of 100% on the MBTI as an excuse for why they're so introverted/sensing/thinking/judging. I can't stand to be around people; I'm 100% I. I hate theory; I'm 100% S.

No, no you're not.

I agree. And the opposite end, but less annoying, are the people who seem to reject meaning from percentages all together.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right...i can see the difference for sure aj.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
But every entp knows the sky is really dark green.. and kinda purple too