• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

malcolm gladwell's parody of mbti

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
"Once, for fun, a friend and I devised our own personality test. Like the M.B.T.I., it has four dimensions:

* The first is Canine/Feline. In romantic relationships, are you the pursuer, who runs happily to the door, tail wagging? Or are you the pursued?
* The second is More/Different. Is it your intellectual style to gather and master as much information as you can or to make imaginative use of a discrete amount of information?
* The third is Insider/Outsider. Do you get along with your parents or do you define yourself outside your relationship with your mother and father?
* And, finally, there is Nibbler/Gobbler. Do you work steadily, in small increments, or do everything at once, in a big gulp?

I'm quite pleased with the personality inventory we devised. It directly touches on four aspects of life and temperament-romance, cognition, family, and work style-that are only hinted at by Myers-Briggs. And it can be completed in under a minute, nineteen minutes faster than Myers-Briggs, an advantage not to be dismissed in today's fast-paced business environment. Of course, the four traits it measures are utterly arbitrary, based on what my friend and I came up with over the course of a phone call. But then again surely all universal dichotomous typing systems are arbitrary."

source: gladwell dot com - personality plus

i definitely have some m/o/g preferences, but it varies. maybe an xOMG. how about you? :devil:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
FMIG.

No one understands us and we've had terrible childhoods. :cry:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
XDOG

Wait, does this mean I am in fact canine? :p

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
Oh my, am I the regrettably rare FDOG? (1% of the population) :devil:

the temperament of fdog dictates that your main function is extraverted boning - the tendency to view the world as a playground of potential bones to be unearthed, chewed upon, and digested. you view the world opportunistically and have a playful, yet determined streak. at heart you desire a patient, perceptive individual to frisk you up and pet your soft dog-esque underbelly. you intrigue cgods, whose angelic canine natures mesh well with your enthusiasm and playfulness.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
the temperament of fdog dictates that your main function is extraverted boning - the tendency to view the world as a playground of potential bones to be unearthed, chewed upon, and digested. you view the world opportunistically and have a playful, yet determined streak. at heart you desire a patient, perceptive individual to frisk you up and pet your soft dog-esque underbelly.

:laugh:

you intrigue cgods, whose angelic canine natures mesh well with your enthusiasm and playfulness.

I c whatchu did thar!

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
I am FDIG... I dig Fs? Awesome :D

nightning, vigilant unearther of new meanings and perspectives, no nuance or emotion escapes your careful scrutiny and exhumative insight!

holy shit there might be some truth to this system after all! :huh: *entplosion*

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought parodies were supposed to be funny. :huh:

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
I thought parodies were supposed to be funny. :huh:

i couldn't get chris rock on the line, sorry jeff! :doh: gladwell's skepticism will have to momentarily suffice.
on a more serious note, he does seriously critique the mbti in that article. i just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.