• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Archetypes of the Functions

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Found this page: Wellness Resources of Vermont that lists each of the 16 type's eight archetypes. But it is in form (same descriptions for each archetype, next to same descriptions of each function, only in their respective orders)

This is Hunziker's site. I see their book is also availble from Telos. Jung’s Mental Processes: Building Blocks of Personality Type, 2006, Haas & Hunziker, Unite Publications I wonder if it goes into more detail of how each function in each position plays out.

I also found that Beebe's account of how he discovered and named the shadows is online:
http://www.typeinsights.com/FreeArticles/Evolvingthe8functionmodel.pdf

Both sites do add some additional descriptions of the archetypes.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Found this page: Wellness Resources of Vermont that lists each of the 16 type's eight archetypes. But it is in form (same descriptions for each archetype, next to same descriptions of each function, only in their respective orders)

This is Hunziker's site. I see their book is also availble from Telos. Jung’s Mental Processes: Building Blocks of Personality Type, 2006, Haas & Hunziker, Unite Publications I wonder if it goes into more detail of how each function in each position plays out.

To get a look at each process in each position in detail, you'd have to go to the helluva-expensive conference that Beebe is having on the topic.

I dunno, though. I think I'm going to start telling myself that it's better if I can figure out how each process looks in each postion on my own, and how I'll even *get it* better if I figure it out for myself.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To get a look at each process in each position in detail, you'd have to go to the helluva-expensive conference that Beebe is having on the topic.

I dunno, though. I think I'm going to start telling myself that it's better if I can figure out how each process looks in each postion on my own, and how I'll even *get it* better if I figure it out for myself.

Check out this link:

Symbol Thinking: Mapping Jungian Archetypes on Cognitive Processes

The website owner kindly provides a summary of Beebe's four-day workshop explaining what each process looks like in each position (8x8=64 possible combinations). I have looked at my own (INFJ) function/archetypes in this light and found some truths here.

For example, I do tend to use my fifth "oppositional" Ne function to punch holes in other people's proposals or ideas. This is a trait I have known about for some time and try to keep under control, as it can be very discouraging for others.

As for my 8th "Demonic" function (Si): I speculated several years ago that this function could cause me to "forget" things at inconvenient times (such as when I introduced my mother to my new boss and forgot her name!). So it was quite fascinating to read the same suggestion here.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those are very good. Thanks! I had been doing searches and never came across this one.

Some of them are rather vague.
(Witch/Senex Fe: "come to my house so I can eat you" (Hansel&Gretel) [-how is that Fe?]
Father/Mother Fi: hearing secrets, "I wish you had told me sooner" [-how is that really Feeling?]).

Especially if you are not familiar with the movies many of them were taken from, and the contexts they were spoken in.

What I wish someone would do in this vein; particularly for the shadows, is to list:

-what generally triggers them in us (e.g. certain stressful situations that, for instance, make you become stubborn and argumentative, triggering opposing personality).

-how others' use of them affect us (e.g. someone else using your opposing personality feels like an attack to you, as I have heard people describe)

-how they affect us/make us feel when we ourselves use/experience them (e.g. your example of Si)

-How we use them on others (e.g. your examples of Ne; this is what Berens' descriptions focus on)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Check out this link:

Symbol Thinking: Mapping Jungian Archetypes on Cognitive Processes

The website owner kindly provides a summary of Beebe's four-day workshop explaining what each process looks like in each position (8x8=64 possible combinations). I have looked at my own (INFJ) function/archetypes in this light and found some truths here.

For example, I do tend to use my fifth "oppositional" Ne function to punch holes in other people's proposals or ideas. This is a trait I have known about for some time and try to keep under control, as it can be very discouraging for others.

As for my 8th "Demonic" function (Si): I speculated several years ago that this function could cause me to "forget" things at inconvenient times (such as when I introduced my mother to my new boss and forgot her name!). So it was quite fascinating to read the same suggestion here.

That link is kind of amazing. A lot of the phrases were too vague for me to understand, but one of them (the witch/senex for Ne) really struck me: "I accept it, but please shut up!" That's exactly how I react when I lose an argument. To the T. It blew my mind.

Oh, and I also have Si, and I was also struck by the "demonic" function - not by the forgetting things part (even though that's true :)), but by the "hallucinations" part. I'll THINK I forgot someone's name (even if I didn't), and I'll get really uncertain about it, even when I've known them for a long time, thinking that I just imagined that that was their name. That may sound kind of weird, but there you go.

EDIT: I also punch holes in people's ideas... People often call me a bubble-burster...

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That link is kind of amazing. A lot of the phrases were too vague for me to understand, but one of them (the witch/senex for Ne) really struck me: "I accept it, but please shut up!" That's exactly how I react when I lose an argument. To the T. It blew my mind.

Oh, and I also have Si, and I was also struck by the "demonic" function - not by the forgetting things part (even though that's true :)), but by the "hallucinations" part. I'll THINK I forgot someone's name (even if I didn't), and I'll get really uncertain about it, even when I've known them for a long time, thinking that I just imagined that that was their name. That may sound kind of weird, but there you go.

EDIT: I also punch holes in people's ideas... People often call me a bubble-burster...

The description of my Trickster Te is also very accurate (misguidance in organizing things more efficiently). I can easily get lost within a system when trying to organise my life. For example, I have tried out (and abandoned) numerous time management systems over the years. What tends to happen is this:

1. I get very excited by the new system, which will save me so much time that my life will be forever improved.
2. I start to try it out for a few activities.
2. I tell all my friends about it.
4. I use it for more and more things.
5. I start tinkering with the system and spend a great deal of time drawing up charts and designing spreadsheets.
6. I start using it for EVERYTHING.
7. I wake up and realise that I have wasted so much time on the new system that I have fallen way behind with all my work!
8. I descend into a mad panic as I run around in circles desperately trying to catch up.
9. I abandon the system forever.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I KIND of have that problem, but since my Te connects with J, I'll tend to stick with my methods if they work. I don't trust new systems. But I have that same issue in that I'll be suspicious of the new method even if it works better than the one I'm using. Not sure if that's a good thing, but it's definitely part of that whole SJ dislike of change...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
  • Dominant - Fe (kneejerk)
  • Auxiliary - Ni (my first two functions stick tightly together)
  • Tertiary - Se (I only seem to use this when cleaning...)
  • Inferior - Ti (engaged in play only or when under strain)
  • Opposing - Fi (when I attempt to isolate burnt-out Fe)
  • Critical Parent - Ne (why can't you be more like your ENFP sister?)
  • Deceiving - Si (less weak than my watery Se)
  • Demon - Te (never touched, though I believe it does show up as an inner Draco when I'm out of balance)

Primary
1. + Leading, - Domineering - Fe is pretty much a handful
2. + Supportive, - Overprotective - Ni, motherly or stepping on toes
3. + Relief, - Unsettling - Se, I use for resolving external chaos
4. + Aspirational, - Projective - Ti, gets ganged up on and stripped of objectivity by other failing functions

Shadows
5. + Backup, - Opposing - Fi helps me to absorb details
6. + Discovery, - Critical - my Ne is my daring fun true love
7. + Comedic, - Deceiving - Si? Really?
8. + Transformative, - Devilish - Te, yikes.... I have so little control over it

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I KIND of have that problem, but since my Te connects with J, I'll tend to stick with my methods if they work. I don't trust new systems. But I have that same issue in that I'll be suspicious of the new method even if it works better than the one I'm using. Not sure if that's a good thing, but it's definitely part of that whole SJ dislike of change...

You should see my face when a label gets changed on something I buy.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
  • Dominant - Fe (kneejerk)
  • Auxiliary - Ni (my first two functions stick tightly together)
  • Tertiary - Se (I only seem to use this when cleaning...)
  • Inferior - Ti (engaged in play only or when under strain)
  • Opposing - Fi (when I attempt to isolate burnt-out Fe)
  • Critical Parent - Ne (why can't you be more like your ENFP sister?)
  • Deceiving - Si (less weak than my watery Se)
  • Demon - Te (never touched, though I believe it does show up as an inner Draco when I'm out of balance)

Primary
1. + Leading, - Domineering - Fe is pretty much a handful
2. + Supportive, - Overprotective - Ni, motherly or stepping on toes
3. + Relief, - Unsettling - Se, I use for resolving external chaos
4. + Aspirational, - Projective - Ti, gets ganged up on and stripped of objectivity by other failing functions

Shadows
5. + Backup, - Opposing - Fi helps me to absorb details
6. + Discovery, - Critical - my Ne is my daring fun true love
7. + Comedic, - Deceiving - Si? Really?
8. + Transformative, - Devilish - Te, yikes.... I have so little control over it

Jeez, how do you know all this??? I feel like such a n00b. I obviously know about the first 4, but how do you find out the other ones?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jeez, how do you know all this??? I feel like such a n00b. I obviously know about the first 4, but how do you find out the other ones?

Very simple! :)

Your functions as an ESTJ are: Se, Ti, Ne, Fi so your descending functions are : Si, Te, Ni, Fe

So, it'll look like this: Se, Ti, Ne, Fi, Si, Te, Ni, Fe.

Basically, the flipside of your first four functions!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Very simple! :)

Your functions as an ESTJ are: Se, Ti, Ne, Fi so your descending functions are : Si, Te, Ni, Fe

So, it'll look like this: Se, Ti, Ne, Fi, Si, Te, Ni, Fe.

Basically, the flipside of your first four functions!

I thought my functions were (in order) Te, Si, Ne and Fi. So then it would be Te, Si, Ne, Fi, Ti, Se, Ni, Fe?

Okay, I get it now! So here's mine, then, with descriptions according to the site, and my personal thoughts:

Hero - Te: "Telling others what to do that really helps" (OH yeah.)
Good parent - Si: "Remembering things for others" (having a good memory? what does this mean?)
Puer/puella aeternus - Ne: "Take things up for a while" (I definitely have phases!)
Anima/Animus - Fi: "Telling others what to do may appear bullying at times, but actually I have a soft core of important values" (very true)
Opposing - Ti: "Of course you can think everything through until death" (?)
Witch/Senex - Se: "Blocking others' proposed actions" (bubble-burster!!)
Trickster - Ni: "That's just superstition!" (?)
Demon - Fe: "Disregarding other peoples feelings; being manipulative" (sadly true... at my worst moments, I feel like I don't care about anyone but myself)

Any thoughts??

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I think the ESTJ is supposedly Te.

LOL!! Yes, I have heard tell that ESTJs boss everyone around and think telling the absolute truth is more important than caring about people's feelings. Just a rumor :D :blush:

redacted

i like to think of the other 4 as rolled up into the first four.

to me, it seems that there are actually only four functions, and there's a spectrum of introversion to extroversion on each. each function tends to very much prefer extroversion or introversion, but both are present to some extent.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IGood parent - Si: "Remembering things for others" (having a good memory? what does this mean?)
Think of it this way. You've already taken in experiences through the senses. Now, they're inside. When, you bring them up from inside, through "memory", you're using introverted Sensing.
Opposing - Ti: "Of course you can think everything through until death" (?)

Trickster - Ni: "That's just superstition!" (?)

Any thoughts??

Yeah; these are two more that are vague.

John Beebe's lectures, and how much of the information is leaked out in Berens' books, or the links such as the ones I've posted.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Think of it this way. You've already taken in experiences through the senses. Now, they're inside. When, you bring them up from inside, through "memory", you're using introverted Sensing.

What I meant was, what do they mean by remembering things FOR OTHERS? I know that I get more caught up in my memories than most people do, but that doesn't have anything to do with the "for others" part.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That would be like remembering birthdays, remembering things people like and buying them as gifts, etc.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh wow. I feel dumb. I was reading into that phrase way too much, like it had some sort of metaphorical meaning...

But yeah, I suppose I do that. I'm always the one reminding people of things, and remembering small things that were said that no one else remembers. I never thought of that as anything unusual before now.

redacted

i find that to be a misleading way of thinking about Si. introverted sensing can directly take in information from the environment as long as that information is relevant to the internal standard (current thought processes/unconscious tendencies).

and extroverted sensing can remember past sensory data as long as that data is relevant to the current external standard (current external situation).

sensing is just sensing. introversion and extroversion just refer to the weighting. Se goes along with the environment, essentially clearing the cache each time a new piece comes in -- each new piece of sensory data is given equal weight. Si pays more or less attention to new data depending on the internal relevance of that data.