• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Process Tandem names!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had been thinking how useful it would be to have names for the four pairs of processes that work in tandem in the function order, since they are so integral to our type, and we resonate better with other types who have them in common. It's also useful for sorting through processes detected in tests like the CP test or my own "Lucky Eight" match game http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...tb-s-ultimate-lucky-eight-archetype-test.html, when they end up all out of order, yet the person does appear to prefer one tandem over another.

Even though the tandems consist of diametrically opposite functions (opposite mode of either perceiving or decision making, with opposite attitude), and if they're on the spine, with one inferior and undeveloped; they nevertheless, as one person has put it, "like ladies' earrings" where one always follows the other.
So to come up with names, I had to think of the common theme of each tandem. I looked into making up new words, existing words, acronyms, etc. I wanted simple one word descriptors. I found some existing words, and had to put together Latin roots for a couple of others.

So to make a long process short, I looked at these definitions of the functions:

Se: EXPERIENCE The experience
Si: RELIVE The experience
Ne: CONCEIVE FROM The experience
Ni: ANTICIPATE The experience
Te: ORGANIZE The experience
Ti: ANALYZE The experience
Fe: RELATE TO The experience
Fi: EVALUATE The experience

So to pair them together:

Se/Ni: experience + anticipate = prostatospective (pro "forward", stat "stand"; also considered "aspective" simply "to look")
You deal in the now and forward

Ne/Si: relive + conceive from = circumspective (to look around). You look around both to the past, and to all the possibilities in the present. Much less about the "here and now". Possibilities are known from past experience, so the two functions naturally work together.

Te/Fi: evaluate + organize = systemic (short for "systemiorational", since "systemic" can be confusing because of its commonality)

This is one of the ones that really got me thinking of this. Like in the political debates. This is obviously a very Te society. Yet Fi seems to be a bit more suited to it. I think of the dominant "organizing" forces, which organize things to be efficient, with themselves as the main beneficiaries, and despite the rest of the economy (and thus are very much into what is important to themselves). Then you will have apparently diametric opposite Fi types (like Joe the Plumber), who look up to them, and oppose government intrusion because it violates their value that a person should keep whatever they "earned" (begs the question of whether they really earned all of it, but that's another story). In these tough times, they'll even say "we all decided what was important and made our choice what to be in life (to climb the ladder to the top, or to take an easier road and have less), so we should live with it and don't whine or expect to be given handouts". I look at the whole finance issue as lopsided, and such statements ignoring a lot of factors, and I being stuck in this mess with so many others being passive like that, and the term that comes to mind is "The System". To be fair, on the liberal side, others will speak out against this from their Fi and then organize demonstrations or whatever. This is would be basically an attempt at an opposing "system".

So the common theme of Te/Fi seems to be "system". Te aggressively "leads" in "organizing", and Fi seems more passive, but is nevertheless still supporting the system with its valuing. You evaluate what's important, and then go build on it.

Fe/Ti: analyze + relate to = harmonic (short for "harmoniorational")
Inbetween the directiveness or informativeness of the other J tandem, Ti and Fe aren't as much about systems. Ti analyzes to find underlying principles, and then build theoretical models to solve problems, such as finding common denominators, harmonizing, clarifying, and hoping to find the simplest formula that can explain the universe.
Fe of course builds interpersonal connections. So it seems different types of "harmony" are the common theme of this pair.

Of course, some of these terms may seem ambiguous. You can look at TiFe as building "systems" (theoretical or social), and of course, Fi is connected with "harmony"; but that is inner harmony. You could even stretch it and call Te's "efficiency" a kind of "harmony". But "system" is a better fit for that one. The terms thus tend to lean toward what is extraverted (shown to the outer world) of the two.

Surprised nobody ever named these. TypeInsights named the tandem positions (1/4 spine; 2/3 "arm", which are called "rational" or "irrational" depending on whether they are occupied by J or P functions), but the actual processes occupying them would be useful as well. You can even be more specific and use these new terms with those names.

So when I look for the best-fit preferences for the supposed "NiTi" types, who often weigh between INTP and INFJ, I can now say that Evan, for instance, has an obvious "prostatospective" preference, since Ni and Se are high, and Ne is low. So INTP is very unlikely, though he looks like it because of the Ti + abstract focus. I can then suggest another prostatospective type into the mix, ISTP. (It was doing that thread that made me finally decide to come up with the names today).
When discussing type matches between an NFP and NTP, we can say "you're both 'circumspective' types, so you'll 'perceive things the same way'".

Each pair of three letter Intelligence type can be addressed by their tandem pairs:

SFP/NTJ: "prostatospective systemicists"
STP/NFJ" "prostatospective harmonicists"
STJ/NFP: "circumspective systematicists"
SFJ/NTP: "circumspective harmonicists"

So what do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was a really cool read, but what is it's significance other than a good read? I'm not bashing your idea, I just don't see where it will go. It makes sense and it organizes the theory nonetheless, good job.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
"Prostatospective"?

Make some names I can remember and pronounce, and I'll support this idea.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That was a really cool read, but what is it's significance other than a good read? I'm not bashing your idea, I just don't see where it will go. It makes sense and it organizes the theory nonetheless, good job.
Well, as I explained, it would be good to have names for the different types of tandem processes, since they determine which types we are ego-compatible, or ego-incompatible with. It gives you something you can pronounce, rather than saying "we are both Ne/Si types".

"Prostatospective"?

Make some names I can remember and pronounce, and I'll support this idea.
(I have to think for a couple of seconds to remember that and get it right too) :blush::sorry: I wanted simply "prospective", but that means "seeing forward", and thus would be a good descriptive of Ni, but not really Se. I wanted a word that covers both the here and now, as well as moving forward. Hence, adding "-stat-". I'll continue to think of something better.
I did list as an alternative, "aspective", which means simply "to see" (ad "to"; spect "see"). Se is obviously just "seeing" for its own sake, while Ni types are often called "seers" because of their envisioning. So maybe that might be better? Covers seeing now, and ahead.

B

beyondaurora

prostatospective = "from the perspective of the prostate"

Haha. Don't get me wrong, Eric...I really like how you linked the processes together. I just can't help thinking about men's rectums when I see that term. :shock: (Beyond, it's pronounced "stat", not "state"!) :doh:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought of that, but figured "prostat-" would give the new prefix some familiarity. But alas, it was still too complex as we see above.
But it does mean the same thing as the anatomical term: "stand forward", and is more true to the meaning I was trying to identify then just "to look" (aspective, which I'm now going with).

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just found out from someone who is very much into Socionics and then searching Wikisocion, that these groups are actually outlined in that system:

Romance Styles (Romance styles: - Wikisocion)
"Aspective" (Se/Ni): Aggressor/Victim
"Circumspective" (Si/Ne): Caregiver/Infantile

Two of the "Reinin Dichotomies" (Reinin dichotomies - Wikisocion)
"Harmonic" (Fe/Ti): Merry
"Systemic" (Te/Fi): Serious

The Quadras (Quadra - Wikisocion)

SFP/NTJ: "aspective systemicists" (Gamma)
STP/NFJ" "aspective harmonicists" (Beta)
STJ/NFP: "circumspective systematicists" (Delta)
SFJ/NTP: "circumspective harmonicists" (Alpha)

(Note: these are the MBTI codes. In Socionics, j/p reversed for introverts).

Surprised that no one pointed this out.

I had not gotten into Socionics, because of the fact that it is so similar, yet in many ways different from MBTI. It's enough trying to square away the concepts of one, the other can be a distraction. But it has so many interesting concepts (like having these identified already, where in MBTI we didn't; and also, the intertype relations), and I can see why others say they line it better.

The same person also pointed out that Socionics developed independently of MBTI in Russia. I had thought that someone just took MBTI and decided to change it around. Even though it did seem to develop later than MBTI (in the 70's and 80's), it still is said to be a different interpretation of Jung, made straignt frpm the source.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Interesting comparisons. The more I read and understand Socionics, the more it shows itself to be a much more complete theory than MBTI. The best way to type yourself in it is to read the Quadra interaction styles and relations, find what most applies to you, then to narrow down your choice of those 4, I found. That's how I came to settle on LII.

P

Phantonym

The same person also pointed out that Socionics developed independently of MBTI in Russia.

I hope that person at least meant to say Lithuania. Or the Soviet Union. There's a difference. Just keeping the facts straight.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
for all the names you came up with, E functions are dominant. what happens when I leads?

according to mbti,
INTPs -> Ti..Ne..Si..Fe
ENTPs -> Ne..Ti...Fe..Si

you classify both as "circumspective harmonicists"...im not sure i fully agree

deleted
Interesting comparisons. The more I read and understand Socionics, the more it shows itself to be a much more complete theory than MBTI. The best way to type yourself in it is to read the Quadra interaction styles and relations, find what most applies to you, then to narrow down your choice of those 4, I found. That's how I came to settle on LII.

Yeah, the gayish ones always seem to be Ne ego.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My one question right now deals with function order.

I totally see what you're doing and why you've grouped certain types. But what happens to function order and how does that impact manifestation? Do the types look at all the same? Is the grouping helpful in a practical sense?

SFJ/NTP, for example, has the Ne/Si pair involved.
But for ENTPs, the function order is Ne/x/x/Si, while for INTPs it's x/Ne/Si/x.
Does this impact how the functions get used?
And can you truly group Si/x/x/Ne with x/Ne/Si/x and say they are similar?
Function position changes role, changes how the personalities appear and operate.

(Serious questions, these are the ones I am thinking about right now.)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hope that person at least meant to say Lithuania. Or the Soviet Union. There's a difference. Just keeping the facts straight.
He may have said Lithuania. I know he mentioned some other country. Russia is just what comes to my mind, because the Socionics websites seem to be heavily from Russia.

for all the names you came up with, E functions are dominant. what happens when I leads?

according to mbti,
INTPs -> Ti..Ne..Si..Fe
ENTPs -> Ne..Ti...Fe..Si

you classify both as "circumspective harmonicists"...im not sure i fully agree

My one question right now deals with function order.

I totally see what you're doing and why you've grouped certain types. But what happens to function order and how does that impact manifestation? Do the types look at all the same? Is the grouping helpful in a practical sense?

SFJ/NTP, for example, has the Ne/Si pair involved.
But for ENTPs, the function order is Ne/x/x/Si, while for INTPs it's x/Ne/Si/x.
Does this impact how the functions get used?
And can you truly group Si/x/x/Ne with x/Ne/Si/x and say they are similar?
Function position changes role, changes how the personalities appear and operate.

(Serious questions, these are the ones I am thinking about right now.)

Yes, they could be broken down further to distinguish the order the functions fall into. In fact, that's partially how it is for the Romance Styles (notice the two names for each. One is for one process in the preferred position, and the other is for the tandem mate in the prefered position).

But my idea was just to start by categorizing the types by common processes. It could always be broken down further later, if need be. INTP and ENTP are of course still very close, cognitively. (E/I is the least important dichotomy). ENTP and ESFJ and INTP and ISFJ are also rather close. And then the opposites, ENTP/ISFJ and INTP/ESFJ still have more in common cognitively than any of them do with NTJ's or SFP's. Or even the types partially compatible, such as NFJ's, NFP,s STJ's, and STP's.

As I see people often weighing between J and P, it would be helpful to focus on broader categories such as those to help determine which they fall into, or in looking at which other types are more compatible.