• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fe in conflict with Fi

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
After taking the functionstest, I was wondering if others, who also have a rather high Fi and Fe function, find that it seems like one can sometimes very much interfere with the efficiency of the other?

I find that in some situations, my need to cater other peoples needs inhibits my ability to judge and act according to what would be right and beneficial to me. It also doesn't help that one of my core values is to help other people as much as I can and allow them to be themselves as much as possible in the given situation. I often find myself distressed and feeling guilty if I cannot provide this and even more so if it is because of my own 'selfish' Fi reasons.

Do others recognize this? And how do you cope?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I would take the functions test with a grain of salt ... it pronounced me an INFJ.

*I am confused about that test - see my post below too.

Last edited:

Snow Turtle

Yes.

Personally I find them to be a fantastic combination. The choices force me to constantly re-define my original values and how I act to form one that ultimately benefits both parties, even if I initially get massive headaches from indecision.

Fe keeps me focused on harmony. However Fi gives me understanding of the meaning behind my Fe behaviour. You search harder for something that is "truth" and "harmonious".

/Rambling.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
How can both rank so high if Fi is supposed to predominate for ENFP?

And for that matter, my highest functions were Ne / Ni at excellent use; than Fi / Fe almost the same level again at good use, and Te / Ti at average / good use.

That doesn't seem to align with what I understand about functions. Can someone interpret, along with Amargith's results?

Snow Turtle

How can both rank so high if Fi is supposed to predominate over an Fe for ENFP?

Development of functions.
This is moving into sketchy territory though... as people have different ideas of how functions work, interactions and functions orders etc.

Fi will always be the natural preference for an ENFP. That doesn't mean that it's necessarily the most developed, but chances are it will be along with Ne.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
**Sorry Kai I edited my post a tad up there and added a bit extra to the end. Thanks for your reply.

This whole functions aspect is difficult for me to fully grasp - where is a good resource online that outlines this in more detail?

Snow Turtle

There was the official description of all the different functions produced by Carl Jung. It's extremely indepth but I can't find it, sorry. Other people will have their own interpretations of what each functions are, and these forums can be quite useful for finding out examples of how each one functions.

Some believe that functions act differently for different types, and have different function orders. Lenore Thomson for example: Function Attitude

G

garbage

That's going to happen if you've developed the application of feeling both in the extraverted and introverted realms. My ENFJ friend has no Fi.. he doesn't seem to understand the concept of empathy or core values at all, relying solely on social rules and norms to guide him.

Although it's all intuition, sometimes I feel as though "Ni" pulls me in one direction and toward one goal, while "Ne" tells me to try to explore all of the different possibilities instead. These seem diametrically opposed at times, as if I feel I must make a decision, but I also want to consider all possibilities and gather all the information that I can. How I've resolved this is to try to consider the possibilities and carry each one out in my mind, trying to see where each path may lead.

I've noticed conflict between what's probably considered "Te" and "Fe".. that gets hairy, too. Just like any conflict, it's a matter of placing priority. Sometimes, I dress practically; sometimes, I dress to "fit in" with a particular crowd.

.. incidentally, I wonder if everyone faces conflict with the extraverted and introverted versions of their secondary functions..

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How can both rank so high if Fi is supposed to predominate for ENFP?

And for that matter, my highest functions were Ne / Ni at excellent use; than Fi / Fe almost the same level again at good use, and Te / Ti at average / good use.

That doesn't seem to align with what I understand about functions. Can someone interpret, along with Amargith's results?

Just to be clear:

My Ne=Fi and are my highest scores, followed closely by Fe

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
why selfish???:horor:

you have right to do what you want, and probably you do know best what's good for you

I realize that, but in the heat of the moment, I often feel like if I were to do what I wanted to do, I'd give the other person the shorter end of the stick. So I end up conflicted, as I don't enjoy that feeling, and try to come up with a half-assed compromise. Hence the term 'selfish'.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Excuse me for this question, but what exactly is Fi? I get most of the other cognitives, but still am a little confused by Fi. Can someone help me out?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's what the person themselves considers to be important, true and is highly individual. It's what causes us sometimes to disobey certain rules and regulations, negate traditions and do what we consider important, regardless of the consequences. It also represents our core values, for instance, no harming other people, directly or indirectly; always help others; always be tolerant of others perspectives and opinions, etc. It's our moral compass in life, pretty much.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Amargith: It's situational use. Use your Fi when it's needed and Fe when it's needed. As other posters have said it's a conflict of interests and you will have to make a decision.

I have a similar conflict between Fi and Te. My thinking functions are very high (my Te was a few bars below all the rest, Ti is in high use also) so I always have to make the decision, is it better to do what makes me happy or is it better to do what would make the most sense? If I do what makes the most sense it's the most beneficial, if I do what makes me happy then I feel better. It's all dependent on the situation, I choose either of those equally.

Look on the bright side, at least you HAVE an Fe function. I only got 5 points in Fe, I never consider social norms nor do I care anything about them.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Amargith: It's situational use. Use your Fi when it's needed and Fe when it's needed. As other posters have said it's a conflict of interests and you will have to make a decision.

I have a similar conflict between Fi and Te. My thinking functions are very high (my Te was a few bars below all the rest, Ti is in high use also) so I always have to make the decision, is it better to do what makes me happy or is it better to do what would make the most sense? If I do what makes the most sense it's the most beneficial, if I do what makes me happy then I feel better. It's all dependent on the situation, I choose either of those equally.

Look on the bright side, at least you HAVE an Fe function. I only got 5 points in Fe, I never consider social norms nor do I care anything about them.

Euh, my life is a chaotic mess coz I have almost no Te..and Fe is draining to use for me, so I think you should reconsider that last statement :D

But tnx for the input, I'll have to mull it over a bit...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my fe was almost as high as my fi on that test too...i think we both had high ne and high se right? which contradicts other tests so i'm not sure about it.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm not sure they conflict. I'm becoming more attracted to Fe as I learn about it more. And I can see in a lot of situations how an Fe standpoint can also be justified with Fi. Like if something helps people in an Fe way, it is still helping people on a deeper level, and if you can see that in a situation, Fi will give you drive to do it. In terms of views on the world Fi will conflict because it tends to think social conformity is stupid, but otherwise they seem to cause more misunderstanding of eachother than conflict.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
After taking the functionstest, I was wondering if others, who also have a rather high Fi and Fe function, find that it seems like one can sometimes very much interfere with the efficiency of the other?

I find that in some situations, my need to cater other peoples needs inhibits my ability to judge and act according to what would be right and beneficial to me. It also doesn't help that one of my core values is to help other people as much as I can and allow them to be themselves as much as possible in the given situation. I often find myself distressed and feeling guilty if I cannot provide this and even more so if it is because of my own 'selfish' Fi reasons.

Do others recognize this? And how do you cope?

Concerning Fi matters, there is always a lot of chaos going on. if you solve one problem a dozen of new problems will emerge and the whole situation becomes unsolveable.

I think your motives to be true and I am happy that at least some people still try to care about others and try to imagine how they would feel.

You bear the mark of the ENP on this one, is my guess. Namely you know things but you dont know how to tell others. Thats either insanity or for real. I cant tell myself thus far and I think I never will