• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and their respective high school personas...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what were other INTJs like in high school?

I was the type who was always perceived as weird, even before high school. My interests were never typical for people my age. I was very insecure and a frequent victim of bullying. But I guess in the 11th grade or so, I began looking at this as something to be proud of.

I became a counter-culture icon of sorts, but not the "us against them" sort like Goths against jocks and whatnot. I was more of my own person. I didn't dress in any established way -- I mostly wore normal clothes. Although, early on, I did take the liberty of buying clothes the other kids wore just to fit in more (expensive designer clothing), but when that didn't work, I just sorta went my own way. I was a rebel, though not a member of a rebel group, but sort of the black sheep.

And towards my senior year, when people signed my yearbook, people claimed to admire my unique way of looking at things and my ability to intellectualize in a unique way.

In terms of academic performance, though, I did quite poorly in school. I was an underachiever. Unfortunately, I couldn't study the subjects that interested me in high school because the majority of the time, I was in the special ed program because of my perceived social difficulties. So my intellect wasn't used to its fullest potential. Oh yes, I was very misunderstood.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
ISTJ: The Hall Monitor
These people are similar to the ESTJs, but quieter. They often do well in school, are well-rounded, and possibly active in extracurricular activities. May be independent, but will conform if it helps them meet a strategic goal. They are probably the most uptight. However, like the ESTJ, they are critical of the others who don't conform to the established ideals.

Yup, that's me...however, I might consider myself one of the more idependent varieties. I played sports and whatnot, but I wasn't part of the whole click society, and while I was on friendly speaking terms with everyone I really just had 2 or 3 people I would consider close friends. Also, I think I might have had a secret admiration for those that didn't conform to the established ideals (those that just did their own thing). Really, the only ones I might be critical towards is the "rebel without a cause types" that simply rebel just for the sake of being difficult and causing a scene when there is no need for one. ISTJ's can be pretty rigid and like to follow rules/norms, but that does not mean we don't have the ability to think for ourselves. In general, if we see room for improvement or injustice of sorts we are perfectly capable of rebelling or instigating change.

BlackMita

High school is never really about learning properly the way most N’s want – which I why I hated it. It’s a stream of requirements to meet, with some hopeful supposition that you’ll make the best out of the whole experience. IMO, it takes up too much time, where students could be off doing their own things and getting genuinely interested in subjects and careers, instead of readying themselves for a cookie cutter position to guarantee a safe but boring life in the future…

what were other INTJs like in high school?

I was quiet and unobtrusive, fluctuating between underachiever and B student. At the start of the year I would be social, but by the end I made an effort to never speak unless I was talking to a close friend. How it usually went: Be outgoing during a fresh year, get a rep as being really random and witty, get urged into a clique of associates, be perceived as arrogant and strange by them for not being as outgoing as they’ve heard (obviously I chime down in competitive group situation, where everyone is trying to throw in a witty remark, blatant making fun, etc), as a result become even more introverted, and by the last chunk of the year, remove myself from group, sustain contact with whoever didn’t reject me (usually a select few close friends as unsocial as myself).

Langrenus

INTJ: The Rebel
Think of the INTJ as an ENTJ on the inside. This means that an INTJ probably has similar values as the ENTJ, but unlike the ENTJ, the INTJ has a certain lack of confidence, and so lives their visions in their internal world. INTJs likely have a vision of a change, but has less confidence in applying it. And where the ENTJ is confident about standing up to enemies, perhaps dreaming up and applying creative methods of defeat, the INTJ lives it in his/her mind...

Langrenus said:
Doesn't chime with my experience of secondary school - or, indeed, life - at all, but feel free to continue to stereotype if it makes you feel better.

Uberfuhrer said:
Hmmm, then maybe you can help me out?

Uberfuhrer said:
I was the type who was always perceived as...

So what you've created is a vision of an INTJ based on your own character. This is deeply ironic, not least because you seem to consider yourself to exist in a bubble that removes personalisation and sentimentalism from your thinking/posts.

Any exercise at stereotyping in the manner you've attempted is - in my humble opinion - doomed to failure. I exhibited characteristics that were the exact opposite of those you described; this does not make me more of an INTJ, or you less of one. TBSG'sTM are pointless.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what you've created is a vision of an INTJ based on your own character.

Not exactly, more based on Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

Or Ernst Stavro Blofeld, or The Bride in Kill Bill.

I am saying that conceptualizing a master plan within the mind is exactly what Ni does, especially when aided by Te.

And don't start with any bullshit that "evil" people are not able to be typed -- evil is only a point of view. Barring the "mentally unstable" from being typed is sort of dehumanizing, don't you think?

Making a methodical plan for everything from shooting up a high school to a long-term business plan is the exact same principle. And it's only "evil" and "unhealthy" in society's eyes.

And without the connections or resources to make a dream happen, the dream can only be lived in the mind. The generic INTJ typically has fewer resources than the ENTJ because their Introversion preference makes them less outgoing.

And yes, this is pointless. Much like politics, it's nonsensical, but it's amusing. It's a message board, what do you expect? :p

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Not exactly, ...

If youre actually going to create something that is sort of useful for people, or sort of an interesting way to describe high school, you'll need to base the descriptions on what all the people of a certain type act like, not just a small group that seems the coolest or that is personally liked (or any other category of people where the numbers are reduced down from everyone in the category.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If youre actually going to create something that is sort of useful for people, or sort of an interesting way to describe high school, you'll need to base the descriptions on what all the people of a certain type act like, not just a small group that seems the coolest or that is personally liked (or any other category of people where the numbers are reduced down from everyone in the category.)

Who said I was trying to be useful? Jesus, this is a message board about a theory. Usefulness isn't useful here.

If you want to make yourself useful, maybe you can enlighten me with your perspective instead of bashing me, because until then, you are just as clueless as you accuse me of being.

Why in God's name does anyone get upset about this? The whole idea of typewatching revolves around dividing and placing 6 billion people into 16 boxes. For that reason, should anything any of us post on these boards be taken seriously? Everyone seems to have lost their sense of humor.

(Also, there is that PC issue of depreciating one's own type.)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I would've thought the Dutch SP would've been the first to be kicked out! (Marijuana and prostitution is not legal everywhere, you know!)

Swedish athletes are probably not ESTJs, but repressed ExFJs. Very tradition- and family-oriented, those Swedes are! ;)
The Dutch boy was not very Dutch. He was only a little Dutch. His name was Kaas. Kaas is Dutch and it means Cheese.
Nobody had heard of marijuana those days. This was the 50s. Marijuana came first in the 60s.
In 1970 I cultivated marijuana on my bedroom window sill. But it was not my weed.
The thing belonged to a poet who lived in the same house.
Sometimes the poet came to my bedroom to see how the weed is growing. Otherwise I met him in the cafe.
He was hard up. It was not easy to be a poet and the same time earn a lot of money. Therefore he was a free lance journalist. He used to write articles about police brutality.

The Swedish boy was truly an ESTJ. Although he was a child he had the size and the strength of an adult. He was very attached to the family estate in the country.
Those ESTJ children grow up early. They are never really playful.
They are serious and matter of fact and they have a sombre mien.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
i must have been a different type in high school.

Yeah me too, I was very shy and quiet, and though I thought lots of whacky stuff, I was way too shy to say it. I was mostly thought of as the oddball, weirdo, etc. It wasn't until my late twenties that the word people used started to be 'eccentric', in a good way.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah me too, I was very shy and quiet, and though I thought lots of whacky stuff, I was way too shy to say it. I was mostly thought of as the oddball, weirdo, etc. It wasn't until my late twenties that the word people used started to be 'eccentric', in a good way.

Well, I did describe the ENTP as "inventive" and an "off-the-wall thinker." And I have perceived them as being the funniest of all types. Where the ESxPs seem to be the ones who constantly laugh at the same things (often being the ones who make the same jokes revolving around bodily functions), the ENxPs tends to see humor in practically everything. Their humor is generally more cerebral and witty and sometimes corny, which leads more mainstream types to perceive them as stupid or obnoxious.

And for the record, I keep saying I was perceived as an ENTP on the outside, but I knew that I was more introverted, because I covered up my inner self behind the ENTP blanket (which is the same order of my functions, but in the opposite direction). But yes, people perceived me as an Extravert, but I never had friends.

What I meant by the ENTP's superficiality is their tendency to trivialize everything -- because they're generally really good at satire and tend not to be politically correct. It is especially the ENTP's nature, I hypothesize, to do and say things for their shock value. (Although "shock value" is in the domain of N, period.)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
It is especially the ENTP's nature, I hypothesize, to do and say things for their shock value. (Although "shock value" is in the domain of N, period.)

Not purely for their shock value - the shock isn't what I'm looking for. It's more an experiment, a sort of "What happens if...?" To see what people say, to test possibilities, steer the reactions and plant seeds, etc... it's not purely to get attention or shock people. I know it'll shock, but I want to know what will happen AFTER that, I theorize about it and then test the theory, and see if I can control it.

EDIT - also, quite often I'm actually just as shocked that people are shocked, as they are at what I said!! And I know I can seem to trivialize things (I've had it said to me: "Don't you ever take anything seriously?"), but that's generally a misperception. Just because I'm able to joke about something and see the funny side, doesn't mean I don't also take it seriously. To assume that were the case would be, I think, a very superficial judgement ;)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not purely for their shock value - the shock isn't what I'm looking for. It's more an experiment, a sort of "What happens if...?" To see what people say, to test possibilities, steer the reactions and plant seeds, etc... it's not purely to get attention or shock people. I know it'll shock, but I want to know what will happen AFTER that, I theorize about it and then test the theory, and see if I can control it.

EDIT - also, quite often I'm actually just as shocked that people are shocked, as they are at what I said!! And I know I can seem to trivialize things (I've had it said to me: "Don't you ever take anything seriously?"), but that's generally a misperception. Just because I'm able to joke about something and see the funny side, doesn't mean I don't also take it seriously. To assume that were the case would be, I think, a very superficial judgement ;)

I'm thinking, also, that the NP would use "goofy" shock value while the NJ would use "blunt and angry" shock value, generally speaking. I think this is also more likely when Intuition is dominant and accessed before the judgment function.

Where the ENxP and INxJ generally would "shock" first and then reason with their secondary judgment (T or F, both of which are the functions that create intelligence), I think the ENxJ and INxP would reason first before shocking conventional norms. And so in the case of those two, shock value becomes less for the sheer pleasure of doing it.

Now in the case of Sensors, they are more smooth. The ESxP would dive into a fun activity before using judgment to consider its impact. Se can be creative in this process, but that's not Se's main objective. The ISxJ would conform first before considering impact, because conforming is what Si does. And this is what makes Si to be a "rule-following doormat" without the development of judgment.

Likewise, the ESxJ and ISxP would use judgment first and see the consequences before conforming (in the ESxJ's case) or acting on impulse (in the ISxP's case).

And so dominant judgment rather than dominant perception is what makes people more sensible and then perceived as more intelligent by society, whether it be analytical (in the case of T) or compassionate (in the case of F).

It could be that you've developed your Ti to the point where you're able to limit Ne's idiosyncratic desires.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
It could be that you've developed your Ti to the point where you're able to limit Ne's idiosyncratic desires.

Possibly, as I did behave more like an INTP for the first part of my life, and I also have quite highly developed Te. But I tend to use my Ne-Ti axis much like Jack Sparrow: throw out crazy, rapid-fire stuff to bamboozle people, thereby buying myself time to think around and ahead of them.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
That didn't describe me too well, and I'm in high school right now. It was too vague... it had a couple of points that sort of fit, but it was just too vague to fit in.

sassafrassquatch

SPs
This is the group that the principals and teachers hate because they are hard to discipline. They rebel for the sole purpose of enjoyment. Although they cause trouble, they have a reasonably easy time getting out of it. For this reason, the intelligence of this group is often underestimated.

INTP: The Know-it-all
The INTP is the one who is book-smart and deeply knowledgeable. They are collectors of trivia regardless of its practicality. They are likely to have esoteric interests or otherwise interests atypical of others in their age group. Like other NTs, and especially the ENTP, the INTP likely has a unique, quirky sense of humor. They are usually intellectually playful, but have trouble taking things seriously. They lack the awareness of social cues, such as how they come across to others, but like other NTs, they often don't care.
-
That sounds like how I was. I was the quiet guy who knew all the answers but I never did my work because I didn't care and dropped out. Not really anonymous fade into the background quiet, I maintained a presence but I didn't say much.

hommefatal

I'm in a stereotyping mood today, so don't mind me. Just making a few more nicknames. Don't worry, I'll hate all types equally:

SJs
This is the group that the principals and teachers love. They are the example setters for the rest of the school to follow. They are the smart ones who study hard and probably will be voted as "Most Likely to Succeed."

ESTJ: The Valedictorian
The ultimate example setter for an American male teen. People admire this type for being practically good at everything. They get good grades, are socially active, and are generally attractive and charming. Usually very mature for their age, because they know how to set limits for themselves. However, they are often intolerant of those who don't conform.

ISTJ: The Hall Monitor
These people are similar to the ESTJs, but quieter. They often do well in school, are well-rounded, and possibly active in extracurricular activities. May be independent, but will conform if it helps them meet a strategic goal. They are probably the most uptight. However, like the ESTJ, they are critical of the others who don't conform to the established ideals.

ESFJ: The Preppy
The model student for an American female teen. Interested in makeup, clothing, and anything trendy, usually to appear more socially desirable. Therefore, they seem to be interested in all kinds of music, movies, and other forms of entertainment. They like small dogs, say "Ewww!!!" a lot, and they're afraid of spiders and Goth kids.

ISFJ: The Doormat
The ultimate loyal followers. Whatever "group" they are affiliated with, they will be unbending to its cause. Goes along with other people's plans lest it damage their friendships. They are often chameleons -- they do things because their friends do it, and they are generally very effective at it.

SPs
This is the group that the principals and teachers hate because they are hard to discipline. They rebel for the sole purpose of enjoyment. Although they cause trouble, they have a reasonably easy time getting out of it. For this reason, the intelligence of this group is often underestimated.

ESTP: The Jock
Like the ESTJ, the ESTP is handsome and charming in appearance, but is more of a free spirit. The ESTP's goal is probably more geared toward their chosen interest for the pure enjoyment rather than setting an example. Hence, the ESTP won't hesitate if he enjoys a more underground life. The ESTP is perceived as either the "star" or the "bully." The ESTP is liked for his "bad boy" persona.

ISTP: The Warrior
Somewhat like the ESTP, but quieter. This type is highly skilled with mechanical things, and possibly a math whiz. People are probably drawn to this type because of his mysterious aura. A male ISTP will quite possibly be perceived by women as "sexy" because of his graceful movements in performance. His earthiness plus enigma makes his appeal possibly even more intense than the ESTP. The ISTP is both smart and practical.

ESFP: The Hedonist
Here we have the ultimate fun and pleasure seeker who loves life and the people within it. Probably the most impulsive type and most likely to be diagnosed with ADHD. They enjoy exploring the world for the pleasure in of itself. Always makes the best of things, and is arguably the happiest of all types.

ISFP: The Art Connoisseur
Like the ESFP, appreciates aesthetic experiences, but is more personal. This often leads the ISFP to display an independent streak and a knack for artistic performance. And so, this type is more likely to be involved in artistic performance such as dance, modeling, or painting. Displays a subtle flamboyancy and quiet narcissism. Others accuse this type as being snobby.

NTs
People of this group are, much like the SPs, overlooked for their intelligence. However, while the SPs are perceived as being hyperactive, the NTs are perceived as socially dysfunctional in one way or another.

ENTJ: The Punk
This type likely to be perceived as the ESTJ's deviant twin. Rather than conforming, the ENTJ is highly critical of the status quo and has no fear of expressing and acting upon it in the world. Here we have the original visionary pioneer or unforgiving misanthrope. Very simply, the ENTJ does not take things the way they are. The ENTJ may also seem like the ESTP, either a jock or a bully. If a jock, the ENTJ sees a strategic purpose behind it, while the ESTP sees enjoyment. If a bully, while the ESTP may simply enjoy teasing others for fun, the ENTJ acts out of vengeance.

INTJ: The Rebel
Think of the INTJ as an ENTJ on the inside. This means that an INTJ probably has similar values as the ENTJ, but unlike the ENTJ, the INTJ has a certain lack of confidence, and so lives their visions in their internal world. INTJs likely have a vision of a change, but has less confidence in applying it. And where the ENTJ is confident about standing up to enemies, perhaps dreaming up and applying creative methods of defeat, the INTJ lives it in his/her mind.

ENTP: The Joker
The ENTP is the original goofball and ultimate punster. The ENTP can be extremely inventive and have unique off-the-wall ideas, but most types dismiss them as being ridiculous. The ENTP is likely perceived as an underachiever and possibly even stupid and obnoxious. And so, despite being Extraverts, they are sometimes not particularly socially desirable. Others perceive them as entertaining, funny, and all around good company, but ultimately superficial.

INTP: The Know-it-all
The INTP is the one who is book-smart and deeply knowledgeable. They are collectors of trivia regardless of its practicality. They are likely to have esoteric interests or otherwise interests atypical of others in their age group. Like other NTs, and especially the ENTP, the INTP likely has a unique, quirky sense of humor. They are usually intellectually playful, but have trouble taking things seriously. They lack the awareness of social cues, such as how they come across to others, but like other NTs, they often don't care.

NFs

ENFJ: The Trend Setter
These are the world's humanistic idealists. They are often very artistic in their approach; they are often funky dressers or else have their own unique way of expressing themselves. The ENFJ is both conservative in that they like order, but also unconventional in their style and views. This is why practically every type is drawn to the ENFJ. Their innovations are masked by their outer seductiveness, whether they realize it or not.

INFJ: The Romantic
On the inside, this type is similar to the INTJ, but the persona they show to the world couldn't be more different. Where the INTJ is the critic (or misanthrope) who sometimes comes off as a jerk, the INFJ is much more pleasant on the outside. They somewhat resemble the ISFJ in that they are often used as "doormats" because they don't wish to damage their relationships. True also, that both the INFJ and ISFJ can be insecure, but where the ISFJ generally sweeps their inner processes under the rug, the INFJ sweeps their outer perceptions under the rug in favor of walking their inner landscape where they live their unconscious desires.

ENFP: The Drama Queen
At first glance, the ENFP may seem like the ESFP, but where the ESFP is a dramatic realist, the ENFP is the dramatic idealist (hence their nickname). Where ESFPs are their own personalities, the ENFP dreams of an idealized sense of self, which could lead them to be either fantastic actors and actresses or cunning manipulators. The ENFP's habit of idealizing the self and the world around around them place a risk of confusing their own reality. And so the ENFP is deep in the sense that they are perceptive and can create a fantasy out of world around them, a gift that could make them into astonishing storytellers (or pathological liars), but also shallow in that they may lose their own true identity.

INFP: The Pagan
A quiet form of the ENFP. They share the ENFP's trait of idealizing the outer world and leading their own path, but they have better balance between the outer world and their own inner reflection. The INFP shares rich personal ideals with the ISFP and an active fantasy life with the ENFP. But where the ISFP's ideals are mostly geared around physicality (comfort and beauty), the INFP's ideals are often unattainable in present physical reality, and can only be lived through imagination, which they have a desire to express through an artistic media. Their easy-going yet dreamy, ethereal nature leads the typical INFP to be perceived as the "Pagan" wanderer.
I am usually the one who is bored all the time but knows everything once the teacher asks some unrelated questions. Other than that, I really 'wander' in a way.

hommefatal

Also, why are teachers so stupid and disrespect the P types? They're stupid themselves then.