• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mommying MBTI style

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, she does have a buddy in Japan, and another in Australia...dunno if that counts as "Famous".

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is Ivy internationally famous? :holy:

Remember, Jen, there is method to the madness... or at least ambitious Te. ;)

Think of me as pre-famous.

One day I'll be the mother of the only brother-sister team of bulemic murderers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...One day I'll be the mother of the only brother-sister team of bulemic murderers.

"News at Nine: Massacre at the Old Country Buffet -- Is the Mother to Blame????!"

I still think you could take Nancy Grace, though. She's just blusterous.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"News at Nine: Massacre at the Old Country Buffet -- Is the Mother to Blame????!"

I still think you could take Nancy Grace, though. She's just blusterous.

It would be fun! I'd love to tear some hair out of that helmet she wears at all times.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
Think of me as pre-famous.

One day I'll be the mother of the only brother-sister team of bulemic murderers.

They could be cannibulimics - like a Dahmer/Olsen Twins mashup, if you will.

:)

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Great thread!

I always have doubt whether I fit in that ISFJ mother description. I mean whether I'm really as nice as a typical ISFJ mother. My kids adore me though ...

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Great thread!

:)

I always have doubt whether I fit in that ISFJ mother description. I mean whether I'm really as nice as a typical ISFJ mother.

no one's the perfect mom all the time. everyone gets stressed and frustrated. even 'typical ISFJ" moms. it's how you are the majority of the time that matters.

i mean, as long as you aren't smashing a plate over their heads when they don't finish eating their veggies when you get frustrated, then the majority of the time.

My kids adore me though ...

sounds like you're doing fine!

meh, as long as kids aren't adoring their parents because they always get their way, or because they aren't being given boundaries, then it's a great sign.

i'm sure you don't do that, of course, just saying that it's sad in general when that happens. the mom thinks the kids love her, but in actuality, the nicer she tries to be, the more they take advantage of her and laugh behind her back.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
My own mothering style is very much like the ENFJ description....on an ideal day:). I fall in between the ENFJ/ENFP line. I very much like to have an "excuse" to be a goober with them. I think it's good for their development. We have lots of "heart-to-hearts" around here! My mother is an ESTJ but she parented like a cross between ESTJ/ISTJ/ESTP descriptions. She was very literal, practical and definitely "what you see is what you get". It drove me insane as she discounted the importance of anything that didn't fall into her line of thinking.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It sounds to me as if they took generic type descriptions, and simply applied the positive sides of their normal work and relationship habits specifically to the concept of motherhood. That seems like a bit of a reach, since the descriptions can be a little off, and don't take into account individual idiosyncrasies, or even the accepted negative aspects of these types. It might be a helpful introduction to get older people interested in MBTI theory, however.

Llenyd

MBTI Type
INTP
The Personality Page has some descriptions of the different types as parents. (Though this site is one of those that subscribe to the MBTI opposites attract theory, which I don't.)

Here's an example using INFP

Strengths
  • Warmly concerned and caring towards others
  • Sensitive and perceptive about what others are feeling
  • Loyal and committed - they want lifelong relationships
  • Deep capacity for love and caring
  • Driven to meet other's needs
  • Strive for "win-win" situations
  • Nurturing, supportive and encouraging
  • Likely to recognize and appreciate other's need for space
  • Able to express themselves well
  • Flexible and diverse

Weaknesses
  • May tend to be shy and reserved
  • Don't like to have their "space" invaded
  • Extreme dislike of conflict
  • Extreme dislike of criticism
  • Strong need to receive praise and positive affirmation
  • May react very emotionally to stressful situations
  • Have difficulty leaving a bad relationship
  • Have difficulty scolding or punishing others
  • Tend to be reserved about expressing their feelings
  • Perfectionistic tendancies may cause them to not give themselves enough credit
  • Tendency to blame themselves for problems, and hold everything on their own shoulders

INFPs as Parents

INFPs are "natural" parents. They accept and enjoy the parental role, seeing it as the natural extension of their value systems. They make use of the parental role for developing and defining their values further, and consider it their task to pass their values on to their children. They take their role quite seriously. Warm, affirming, and flexible, the INFP generally makes a gentle and easy-going parent in many respects.

INFPs do not like conflict situations, and will keep themselves flexible and diverse to promote a positive, conflict-free environment in their home. The INFP is not naturally prone to dole out punishment or discipline, and so is likely to adapt to their mate's disciplinary policy, or to rely on their mates to administer discipline with the children. In the absence of a mating parent, the INFP will need to make a conscious effort of creating a structure for their children to live within.

Although the INFP dislikes punishing others, they hold strong values and will not tolerate the violation of a strongly-held belief. If they feel that their child has truly committed a wrong, the INFP parent will not have a problem administering discipline. They will directly confront the child, stubbornly digging in their heels and demanding recourse.

The INFP parent is likely to value their children as individuals, and to give them room for growth. They will let the children have their own voice and place in the family.

Extremely loving and devoted parents, INFPs will fiercely protect and support their children. If there is an issue involving "taking sides", you can bet the INFP will always be loyal to their children.

INFPs are usually remembered by their children as loving, patient, devoted, and flexible parents.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It sounds to me as if they took generic type descriptions, and simply applied the positive sides of their normal work and relationship habits specifically to the concept of motherhood. That seems like a bit of a reach, since the descriptions can be a little off, and don't take into account individual idiosyncrasies, or even the accepted negative aspects of these types. It might be a helpful introduction to get older people interested in MBTI theory, however.

I agree with you here. The descriptions just seemed like a mashing together of the individual functions, with little understanding about the chemical reactions that take place when each preference works together. It was sort of meat-and-potatoes if you ask me.