• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NF Thinking Confusion

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
Okay, so I've been reading up around here and I recently got ahold of Please Understand Me II, and I was wondering if anyone out here in the wonderful wide world of the internet could assist me in understanding something. There's a thread over on the NF section about how ENFPs tend to be very logical, and can even often out-argue NTs. I think this is definitely true for me (not that I've necessarily done that here but I think people who know me would agree with the statement). What I don't understand is how this jives with functions.

When I'm thinking in class, I can tell that I normally use Ne--the teacher provides some information, and I try to synthesize it into a system, which fits into another system, and so on and so forth. But it seems to me that I also use some sort of objective thinking function to stop and clarify: how does my conception of the system fit with the information presented? What is the logical progression of the information; does b cause a or does a cause b? My use of this function definitely fits the MBTI predictions: I expend more energy, I don't do it as well, etc. Does this description fit with general descriptions of the extroverted thinking function?

Another question concerns thinking more philosophically/poetically. I find that I often anticipate my own thoughts (which is what, I think, Wallace Stevens means when he talks about "the hum of thoughts evaded in the mind"[/unnecessary poetry discussion]), and I suppose this is something like intuition applied to the process of intuition, rather than any thinking function? Also, I have this idea wherein sometimes when I'm writing, I'll look back over what I've written, assemble it into a makeshift system, and then move on. I consider it partially analagous to the poet William Blake (or W.B. Yeats) making very organized, complicated systems from his metaphorical, even mystical, intuitions, although obviously not taken to the same degree. Would this be entirely N, or partially T as well?

Finally, I'm wondering about argument. Is looking at somebody's argument and analyzing the failures in logic or inference N or T? Is reading through a given piece of writing and identifying stylistic and grammatical errors N or T? Could something that externally looks the same be accomplished by either function?

All input is greatly appreciated!