• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has being on this forum changed your opinion...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I knew it startled people I would have stopped ringing my compulsory INTP bell in public.

But you like getting your bell rung.

Really?

You've got to teach me sometime.

Protean will teach the classes. I'll hand out the photocopies and make sure you don't cheat on the tests.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Participation on this forum has lowered my opinion of NT types actually. The dismissive attitude towards S and F types has been disappointing.

But, if you understand *why* they are like that, you can see where they are coming from. They're just working off of what they know and what's worked for them. NT's dismiss S's because they can't see what they do, and they dismiss F's because they're too attached to their emotions. Think about it the same way SJs dismiss N's. They don't take the time to digest something that leaps from reality. They just swiftly dismiss it as useless.

Besides, you can't lump external cue points together and categorize it the same way as type. You're looking at motivations, not externalized reactions.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To be honest the answer is neither.

Before joining I had no opinions about them..

Mole

Permabanned
The interesting people do not follow a pattern.
Least of all their own pattern.
They are their own people.

You never become your shadow.
Wisdom is to perceive it is there.

How irresistible you are, Wildcat.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I've discovered that I really like INTJs. I'd probably annoy the crap out of one IRL, but it seems to work online.

INTJs are awesome in real life too. My favourite type at the moment. Can take a while to know or understand them though.

Mole

Permabanned
Of course it's all for a purpose.

But the purpose is not to change our opinion, but to change our emotions.

The forum is simply an anaesthetic to put to sleep the watchdog of our mind, so that we can operate on our emotions without feeling any pain.

The forum, like suicide, is painless and brings on many changes.

And the changes it brings on are not in our opinions but in our emotions.

Have you noticed that argument never changes anyone's opinion, but without us noticing, it is our emotions that change?

And if we dare notice, we will see our emotions all changing in the same direction.

We are all starting to get in the groove.

An atmosphere is developing - an emotional atmosphere.

We are all starting to feel the same things at the same time. Whether is is snow in New England or Bushfires in Oz. We know. And we feel.

In fact, we have put our nervous system on the outside.

We are linked electronically with everyone else - this is now our central nervous system.

And we are all emotionally vulnerable to one another. That is why flaming is banned on our new electronic nervous system.

So the purpose is not to learn to think as one but to feel as one, just like a tribal village.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
a little

it helped me figure out that behavior != type.

redacted

Being on this forum has made me open my mind to all types. The flying stereotypes disgust me, so I got rid of them in myself.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Being on this forum has made me appreciate people that are like myself.

deleted
Being on this forum has led me into more trouble, which I believe so far is a good thing.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, I stumbled into MBTI this go round as a homework assignment from a marriage counselor.

It has been a consolation in some ways in that many of my innate dispositions (according to personality theory) are not disorders (as labeled by psychology).

My results from the MMPI 6 years ago were VERY consistent with my recent MBTI test, and it has basically shed more light on what I already knew of myself, reminded me of things that I otherwise would probably choose not to recognize, but at the same time make me more accountable for my thinking/actions as at this point I am even more aware of what makes me tick than ever before.

As far as other personality types, I never even thought others existed! I mean seriously, I guess I just thought "Well, they sure as heck are a good bit different than me."

Ignorance is bliss!

I guess my final realization in this thread is that since I now know my wife's type, it allows me to understand the parts of her thinking that usually disconnect with my thinking, and hopfeully vice versa. The whole point of this was to help us understand to not get pissed at each other over silly shit!

:thumbup:

It's a cool social science that I am enjoying learning more about it, especially by my interactions with real live folks here. :yes:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
curious...what's her type?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This forum has made me realize - in more than just a hypothetical way - that there is no type that is always pleasant or unpleasant to deal with. No particular type though, I've just realized there's no point in having favourites, or even opinions, really.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Yes. The "T" dominant types kind of rubbed me the wrong way at first but that was just a gross over generalization based on a few nasty comments I picked up while lurking before joining. The T/F wars were "popular" back then and I found it amazing that people thought of "Fs" that way. It didn't even hit me that I was doing the exact same thing. :doh:
I had basically built a "prejudice" but sticking around erased it overtime.(Or maybe built a new one actually...)

True! I will get to the acceptance point but right now its like when you over hear something completely absurd and just have to shake your head.

Unique

Hum... never really had an opinion on types in the first place

At least nothing really negative... I seem to like NFs?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
This forum has made me realize - in more than just a hypothetical way - that there is no type that is always pleasant or unpleasant to deal with. No particular type though, I've just realized there's no point in having favourites, or even opinions, really.

mm. The best you can hope for is predictive behaviour, and some insight into why people find *you* positive or negative to interact with.

MBTI Type
INxJ

Same

ISTJs are more flexible than I originally thought. So, good for them. Mostly, the forum has only reaffirmed positive and negative perceptions of certain types I already had.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Most definitely. This is why I'm not really understanding the point of the thread. Did people really need to trade a few jokes on a forum or PMs to figure out "Wow, I guess XXXX can't all be that bad!"

I'm noticing that most people are responding that they had a more negative view that turned positive and not the other way around. I guess I'll be honest and say I'm beginning to have more negative views of certain types that I didn't have before. Some people's willingness to ascribe unsavory behaviors to something as silly as MBTI type makes me wonder how willing they are to do the same thing when it comes to other groups of people.

But then again I think to myself, is this really surprising? I've been told so often that I was the person who made people rethink their ideas of their preconceived notions of "what I'm supposed to be like" that I just don't know what to make of comments like that anymore. It's like admitting you had a narrow-minded or limited exposure to a group of people (which is good! you're seeking to correct it) and it only took a handful of people to turn that around. But then my next thought is if it only took a handful of people for you to form that negative perception and just as many to change it, maybe people should just lay off making the evaluations based on such flimsy criteria. It seems like a ball getting tossed back and forth. I guess it comes down to exposure.

In any criteria, to point out or say stuff is to leave the other stuff unsaid.
As it is with the MBTI. We do not lie- we only leave fifty per cent of the stuff unsaid. We accept a part to be the whole. We are fooled by semiotics.
It is a trap, and we fall flat face down.
T or F, S or N. Take one sign away and remove it with another.
What kind of an alternative is that?

Say you are one hundred per cent Ti and one hundred per cent Fi and a zero per cent Te and a zero per cent Fe. Or the other way around.
What is your sign? It is indeterminate. You are kind of normal now, eh? :)

Say that you have another system of signs. You have a sign for introverted judging function G, and extroverted judging function D.
You are not indeterminate any more. You are back in the game.
What game? If a game is ruled by the rules of semiotics, what game is that?
No game. A sign is not the thing.

It is only when we see posts we get an inkling of the thing.
And when we see more than an inkling, the unsavoury remarks are forgotten.
How does that happen? Round and round we go.

A ball is tossed back and forth. How very human.
There is light at the end of a tunnel-
but it is a long, long tunnel :hug:

Last edited by a moderator: