• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to distinguish INTJ and INFJ

Lotr246

Differences? Similarities? Is each on an Ni quest, but with different aims?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The former eats babies and calls it nutritious. The latter eats souls and calls it judicious.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, that was good.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry you didn't get more traction on this. I thought you would actually.

I'll think on it and try to give you a more productive response.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*These are of course, simple generalizations.

As compared to each other.

INTJ: Explicit.
INFJ: Implicit.

INTJ: Prosaic.
INFJ: Poetic.

INTJ: Logos driven interpretation.
INFJ: Pathos driven interpretation.

INTJ: Interpersonally insensitive.
INFJ: Interpersonally sensitive.

INTJ: Rather be just than merciful.
INFJ: Rather be merciful than just (Often, the INFJ will argue that merciful is just).

INTJ: Balances Ni with an established system.
INFJ: Balances Ni with popular or dominant sentiments.

(later, I'll think of a more accurate way to describe all of these things, and kick myself.)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Or to use my new tandem process names, INTj uses "systemic" judgment, and INFJ uses "harmonic" judgment. (Both use "protstatospective" perception).

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
INFJs tend to persuade by being aware of their audience and speaking to felt needs, motivations, etc. INTJs persuade through logic and the completeness of their ideas.

Because both have Introverted Intuition as their dominant functions, the differences between them truly are subtle. Sometimes interests diverge, but the differences can be subtle. INFJs may like science but may stick to the big-picture level of theories and ideas, or stick to the areas that involve human beings (archaeology focused on cultures, for example) rather than get into the nitty gritty.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJs tend to persuade by being aware of their audience and speaking to felt needs, motivations, etc. INTJs persuade through logic and the completeness of their ideas.

Because both have Introverted Intuition as their dominant functions, the differences between them truly are subtle. Sometimes interests diverge, but the differences can be subtle. INFJs may like science but may stick to the big-picture level of theories and ideas, or stick to the areas that involve human beings (archaeology focused on cultures, for example) rather than get into the nitty gritty.

It's funny though. The powers of contrast generally make it easy to tell who's who if an INFJ and INTJ get into a debate/argument.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An an INTJ will show vulnerability

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^will get angry openly

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Or Ti/Fi , they are easier to figure out in an overall calm person.

MBTI Type
INxJ
It's funny though. The powers of contrast generally make it easy to tell who's who if an INFJ and INTJ get into a debate/argument.

Oh, yes. The 10 billion debates my gf and I have had are very illuminating in that department. The Te/Fe divide is seriously where we always clash. Always. Without fail.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, yes. The 10 billion debates my gf and I have had are very illuminating in that department. The Te/Fe divide is seriously where we always clash. Always. Without fail.

Arguing over shades of meaning. 'Tis the essence of the INTJ/INFJ relationship.

It's easy to distinguish in contrast because the two types are very similarly structured. Both use Ni first and a kind of Je second. The result is that you can largely just look for the inherent differences between Te and Fe, and use them to guage which kind of INJ you are dealing with.

Functional differences are easier to identify than attitudinal differences.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
same conclusion - this person is stupid
why?

INTJ: His design is faulty and has no integrity
INFJ: He made himself look like an ass