• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to distinguish ISFJ and INFJ?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
This can be difficult.
I'd base it on what their values are.
The ISFJ is most concerned with obeying laws and will often obey what society says, unless a rule is truly unjust and conflicts with their values.
The INFJ is most concerned with figuring out what the laws should be and then obeying those.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'll be an ass again, we naturally sit on a higher cognitive playing field, describing the injustice the ISFJ doesn't so clearly and readily see.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

No worries Hmm. :)

All INFJs do not think so poorly of ISFJs. Most of us do not "sweep-heap" intolerable projections and prejudices on entire groups of people. And some of us do not dish what we know our fragile psyches cannot take.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

All INFJs do not think so poorly of ISFJs. Most of us do not "sweep-heap" intolerable projections and prejudices on entire groups of people. And some of us do not dish what we know our fragile psyches cannot take.

Yeah, I know. Thanks :hug: INFJs seem great to me.

I'm sure paisley and I will warm up to each other.

INFJ's are like the most uncommon type, aren't they? So hard to find.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I know. Thanks :hug: INFJs seem great to me.

I'm sure paisley and I will warm up to each other.

INFJ's are like the most uncommon type, aren't they? So hard to find.

I wouldn't blame ya if ya didn't wanna run into us either.

We're usually lurking about, quietly watching you with intensity... along with everyone else. :hi:

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4

That's wholly reading into what I'm saying. You really think what I said is "intolerable projections and prejudices"? Maybe annoyed and impatient while communicating.

INFJ: IN, EF INFJ Profile read IN paragraph
ISFJ: IS, EF ISFJ Profile read IS paragraph
ISFJ Relationships, read 2nd last line.

I don't view all of the ISFJ's with disdain, Queen Elizabeth II is an ISFJ for crying out loud, and I really have nothing against her. It's just the stark contrast in personality and thinking between the two, that I'm surprised more INFJ's and ISFJ's don't resonate with. We truly do process everything, almost completely differently.

Like I said, read through those type distinctions, and what I'm saying, jumps from the page.

G

Glycerine

I think ISFJs can be pretty cool but I tend to clash with SJs. I've reached the conclusion that my iNtuition is so high that we tend to miscommunicate and create tension. Neither is better than the other. ISFJs are so much better at dealing w/ details and reality while INFJs are better at abstract things. We need people that are practical and attentive to details. Could you imagine if all nurses were INFJs. That would be chaos. INFJs would probably kill a patient because they would end up forgetting that that particular patient is allergic to pennicillin.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ahh, finally someone resonates with what I'm saying. We do clash with ISFJ's. Yes, I have the same problem, I create tension and have to learn to back down and be patient and listen to ISFJ's. A real lesson in patience for me.

Very true, ISFJ's have an uncanny ability to process minutia. Quite right.

Snow Turtle

I've got to admit... You've done an excellent job of rubbing me in the wrong way. =/ You weren't kidding about the whole being smug and condescending vibe, but truthfully it's something you actively believe in, no? All I can see is quite abit of confirmation bias and it irks me somewhat. Ah well.

Regarding the idea of not needing to recreate a picture with your head. Thats not true. You will have an overall picture~ but that's never the same thing as having the complete picture. Si works on building the foundation to completion, rather than dealing with the overall and filling in the missing pieces to completion. We're aiming to recreate the situation thoroughly, which requires the boring setails (not only the main points).

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
You picked up on my smugness hey. Again, a conversation with an ISFJ starts, builds, and ends with "Sorry", like we're dancing and I can't seem to stop myself from stepping on your toes, even if I created the damn dance.

Sorry Kai, Sorry Hmm, will you guys forgive me for being an ass?

".....Cause I'm all alone
theres no one here beside me
my problems have all gone
theres no one here to reside me
But you gotta have friends....."

(The ass from Shrek is the joke I'm going for here)

Snow Turtle

:spam_laser:
War!

In all honesty... You're still sending that vibe even now. Unfortunately I can't be certain whether it's intended or not. Halo effect might be settling in.

My best friend for seven year was an INFJ, and I've recently met up with another INFJ at university. I don't have this problem with them nor some of the other INFJs on this forum like LA, cascademn... Perhaps they aren't voicing their thoughts but it definitely seems more of a specific problem with your style of interaction.

Hm. Apologies for what might seem like personal attacks but just raising a point.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Great point Kai. I was just discussing this with babyloncandle, just the problem of being MBTI at the margin, not the peripheral, shows great differentiation between myself and other more solid INFJ's. I'm a bit of a chameleon that comes out INFJ the majority of the time, like 3 out of 5 tests. MBTI sometimes limits understanding, and really needs outside testing to fully characterize a personality. Babylon is totally confused by the INFJ, 8w9, EIE combination of my personality, although the latter two, depending on the test, are just as dubious and subject to scrutiny. Most juries would just find me ambiguous, and leave it at that.

Where's the personal attack kai? You're very objective, I really don't see a slam in there, you seem too nice to really be mean, and I like that, I need that, I can be a douche at times.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Get a blinking light and initiate a conversation. While they're talking, pull out the blinking like and hold it in front of them.

If they're hypnotized by it -- ISFJ.

If two months later they write you a long and involved email about how you don't respect their thoughts and feelings because you constantly interrupt what they're saying with blinking lights and silly noises -- INFJ

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Guilty on all counts. Great point MrME! Glad you see the same problem as I do.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Kai: Why are pigeonholing people. This particular (Si) trait is what usually makes my life shitty. Even when paisley clearly said he Isn't trying to be insincere, you are keeping your unmotivated suspicioussnes. Please stop this behavior, it only creates passive aggression from both parts in the future.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You picked up on my smugness hey. Again, a conversation with an ISFJ starts, builds, and ends with "Sorry", like we're dancing and I can't seem to stop myself from stepping on your toes, even if I created the damn dance.

Sorry Kai, Sorry Hmm, will you guys forgive me for being an ass?

".....Cause I'm all alone
theres no one here beside me
my problems have all gone
theres no one here to reside me
But you gotta have friends....."

(The ass from Shrek is the joke I'm going for here)

No worries. I was never upset. I was just trying to understand.

In all honesty... You're still sending that vibe even now. Unfortunately I can't be certain whether it's intended or not. Halo effect might be settling in.

Nah, I think he's sincere.

Get a blinking light and initiate a conversation. While they're talking, pull out the blinking like and hold it in front of them.

If they're hypnotized by it -- ISFJ.

If two months later they write you a long and involved email about how you don't respect their thoughts and feelings because you constantly interrupt what they're saying with blinking lights and silly noises -- INFJ

lol!

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kai: Why are pigeonholing people. This particular (Si) trait is what usually makes my life shitty. Even when paisley clearly said he Isn't trying to be insincere, you are keeping your unmotivated suspicioussnes. Please stop this behavior, it only creates passive aggression from both parts in the future.

I don't see this behavior from Kai at all. Just paisley1.

Projection?