• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and video games...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Over at DiscoverYourPersonality.com, the following types are overrepresented in the leisure activity of "Playing with Computers and Video Games": ISTP, INTP, INTJ, and ENTP. It's quite clear based on this information, video games have major appeal to NT types. (I will count ISTP as NT in this case, as they are often mistaken as such.)

However, ENTJ was left out, stating they are overrepresented in "Working Out" as a favorite leisure activity. And of course, they are often in the position to use the world around them as a strategic chess board. So to the ENTJ, the real world is their video game.

But I've been wondering if video games do appeal more to the NT temperament more than others. I do think many of them are an NT interest, since video games are largely about strategy, intellectual stimulation, and creative problem solving. Of course, the SPs, particularly Thinking ones, will appeal to games, since it's also about hand-eye coordination. But I think that the obsessive video gamer is more likely to be NT. (And the gamer who throws their controller and gets really angry when they mess up will more likely be an xNTJ.)

What are your thoughts?

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I think we have to distinguish here between video games on a console and games on a PC. most video games are about hand-eye coordination, and demand fast reation to fast changing situations, I'd think they are more appealing to SPs and possibly NPs (I know that I dont like most console games and I dont own any console at all, while my SP friends all love those games.)

Also there arent many strategy games for consoles, and the real hardcore ones are only availabe for PC. So a PC offers more games that would appeal to an NT I think.

Personally I like grand strategy games (Like Hearts of Iron), turn based strategy and tactical games, flight simulations, auto simulations, role playing games to some extent and also FPS, but only in single player mode as my skills in those are crap. I hate playing FPS against SPs, I try to slowly and methodically get in a good position, while they are all jumping around super-fast and randomly, no chance.

Oh and I can confirm that NTJs are controller-throwers and keyboard-smashers :D.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we have to distinguish here between video games on a console and games on a PC. most video games are about hand-eye coordination, and demand fast reation to fast changing situations, I'd think they are more appealing to SPs and possibly NPs (I know that I dont like most console games and I dont own any console at all, while my SP friends all love those games.)

Also there arent many strategy games for consoles, and the real hardcore ones are only availabe for PC. So a PC offers more games that would appeal to an NT I think.

Personally I like grand strategy games (Like Hearts of Iron), turn based strategy and tactical games, flight simulations, auto simulations, role playing games to some extent and also FPS, but only in single player mode as my skills in those are crap. I hate playing FPS against SPs, I try to slowly and methodically get in a good position, while they are all jumping around super-fast and randomly, no chance.

Oh and I can confirm that NTJs are controller-throwers and keyboard-smashers :D.

Yeah, I prefer PC games. I love playing FPS, but only the story mode -- I'm often more interested in following the storyline than the gunning. PC controls also offer more precision, which is ideal for FPS games. I also enjoy playing space combat simulators, like Descent: Freespace and Freelancer. Unfortunately, this genre isn't very popular anymore. And my computer is simply too advanced to handle backwards compatibility with older games.

I enjoy open world shooters like Grand Theft Auto, but I also like playing the storyline. I notice a lot of SPs play the game, but don't follow the game objectives and just free-roam and wreak havoc -- it can be stimulating to the mind at first, but then it gets boring and repetitive.

In fact, the whole reason I bought an Xbox 360 was to play those free-roaming crime games, which are usually watered down when ported to the PC. I think their presentation is excellent -- I think if done correctly, they would make good movies, quite honestly.

But I tend not to like the arcade style games, where you just run and gun. I like there to be problem solving, as well. Sometimes I turn on the God mode when I play games just so I can stimulate my mind with figuring things out without the hassle of dying all the time -- but that's the only cheat I'd ever use.

And yeah, when I was younger, I always got punished (sent to my room) by my parents for smashing the keyboard, mouse, or controller -- sometimes breaking them in the process.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think there are types other than NT's who enjoy video games. For instance, I enjoy RPG's, Adventure games, and strategy games. (Specifically, Final Fantasy series, Phantasy Star series, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, SW: Knights of the Old Republic, the Zelda series, and Simcity 3000.)

I'm an INFJ, actually.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think there are types other than NT's who enjoy video games. For instance, I enjoy RPG's, Adventure games, and strategy games. (Specifically, Final Fantasy series, Phantasy Star series, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, SW: Knights of the Old Republic, the Zelda series, and Simcity 3000.)

I'm an INFJ, actually.

Those are actually my preferences too. That and civilisation/human simulation games. (You should try Star Ocean: Till the End of Time it's pretty good.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, there's a trend. NFs seem to prefer fantasy-oriented games more.

I imagine SPs prefer sports games for the console, along with multiplayer and fighting games, probably, because they're more about active competition.

As I prefer computer games, sometimes my budget becomes constrained and I find that consoles are more economically efficient. Still, if I had a choice, I'd choose PC, because PC games have higher technical prowess than consoles, and graphically, PC games tend to look better and more elaborate.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Ah, there's a trend. NFs seem to prefer fantasy-oriented games more.

I could see that, I love fantasy role playing games, Final fantasy, tomb raider, baldors gate, prince of persia, soul reaver etc. I love solving the puzzles and beating the game.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I like video games I tend to like the Zelda Series, Love Mario and Sonic those are for when I'm alone. But with people I like playing Mario Kart, or Smash Bros. I remember liking street fighter.

Can't say I'm good at them, and though I like them I get bored easily and never completed one.

nintendo8.com - play Nintendo 8-bit games online (no download required)

I've been playing classic NES games on their. The only downside is you can't turn off the music just to the game.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I tend to prefer turn based games, city builders, and RPG's, and it is because these involve more thinking and planning (Though I don't really try to or have an ability for figuring out the ultimate perfect combinations of things to do to.). I have had trouble with real time strategies and more action oriented ones when playing with humans, simply because I have a hard time reacting well or multitasking when action is occuring, it feels very rushed, though this may just be lack of experience.

I think there are types other than NT's who enjoy video games.

Of course there are, what was described was simply a preference/tendency.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like video games I tend to like the Zelda Series, Love Mario and Sonic those are for when I'm alone. But with people I like playing Mario Kart, or Smash Bros. I remember liking street fighter.

Can't say I'm good at them, and though I like them I get bored easily and never completed one.

nintendo8.com - play Nintendo 8-bit games online (no download required)

I've been playing classic NES games on their. The only downside is you can't turn off the music just to the game.

Oh yes, I miss the days of side-scrolling platforms. Zelda was my favorite game when I was young, followed by the Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario Bros. series.

And then came Doom.

I also love the Half-Life games. Another set of games what would make a great movie adaptation if done correctly.

I used to play Roller Coaster Tycoon, and it spawned my obsession with roller coasters. But then I wanted more efficient ways of building them, so I eventually switched to No Limits Roller Coaster Simulator.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an INFJ and I adore video games and certain computer games!

I like Final Fantasy, Gladius, Shadow of Colossus, Freedom Force, Mario Brothers, Escape from Monkey Island, Psychonauts, Ico, Ape Escape, Day of the Tentacles, Advance Wars, Kingdom Hearts, Destroy all Hiumans, Spiderman 2. I feel like I enjoy a variety of types of games.

The only thing I can't do is hard core strategy games, I like tactical but not strategy if that makes sense.

I also love using cheat codes and being all powerful- I don't have to be challenged really in games-it doesn't take away the enjoyment at all- I just like going though the story if it is good and doing the fun activities and getting to the closure,lol and enjoy being all powerful if I can while I get there,lol.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an INFJ and I adore video games and certain computer games!

I like Final Fantasy, Gladius, Shadow of Colossus, Freedom Force, Mario Brothers, Escape from Monkey Island, Psychonauts, Ico, Ape Escape, Day of the Tentacles, Advance Wars, Kingdom Hearts, Destroy all Hiumans, Spiderman 2. I feel like I enjoy a variety of types of games.

The only thing I can't do is hard core strategy games, I like tactical but not strategy if that makes sense.

I also love using cheat codes and being all powerful- I don't have to be challenged really in games-it doesn't take away the enjoyment at all- I just like going though the story if it is good and doing the fun activities and getting to the closure,lol and enjoy being all powerful if I can while I get there,lol.

That's pretty similar to what I do. I guess we've established what kind of games we NF's usually like. I'm pretty sure that SP's like sports games. What about SJ's and NT's?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Oh yes, I miss the days of side-scrolling platforms. Zelda was my favorite game when I was young, followed by the Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario Bros. series.

And then came Doom.

I also love the Half-Life games. Another set of games what would make a great movie adaptation if done correctly.

I used to play Roller Coaster Tycoon, and it spawned my obsession with roller coasters. But then I wanted more efficient ways of building them, so I eventually switched to No Limits Roller Coaster Simulator.

I remember Doom. My brother and I would play against each other over the house network. I'd be on the downstairs family computer and he'd be upstairs and our dad's computer.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's pretty similar to what I do. I guess we've established what kind of games we NF's usually like. I'm pretty sure that SP's like sports games. What about SJ's and NT's?

I would imagine that NTs prefer games with science fiction themes.

SJs, I'm not sure about. I would assume they are the ones who are the anti-game activists -- the Jack Thompsons. But on second thought, that is more a trait of old people than anything. I would assume an SJ's taste would be similar to the SP, or maybe strategy games like the NTs. Or maybe they have a more well-rounded taste in games.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I would imagine that NTs prefer games with science fiction themes.

SJs, I'm not sure about. I would assume they are the ones who are the anti-game activists -- the Jack Thompsons. But on second thought, that is more a trait of old people than anything. I would assume an SJ's taste would be similar to the SP, or maybe strategy games like the NTs. Or maybe they have a more well-rounded taste in games.

I think that STJs probably prefer strategy games with a historical scenario, earlier I mentioned Hearts of Iron, which I have written a few FAQs about on another forum, and the questions I got there indicate that there is a fair number of SJs playing this game, as the questions were sometimes on very specific details, and would have to be step by step without leaving anything out, I was sometimes astonished by how specific the directions and listing of features needed to be.

So I would think that STJs would, if they play games at all, prefer strategic games with the historical flair of the period they are interested in. One ESTJ I know also likes to play sports games and such, though he is usually to busy too play video games.

Personally I would not say that I necessarily preffer a Science Fiction scenario, but I like a modern scenario with tanks and planes and such instead of a fantasy scenario, I also dont really like fantasy books.

Llenyd

MBTI Type
INTP
I love sci-fi books, tv, movies, but not so much the games. Many are twitch games, which I usually don't play. I prefer mainly RPGs and MMOGs which tend to be fantasy based. MMOGs eat up a lot of time, so I don't play much else anymore.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I love sci-fi books, tv, movies, but not so much the games. Many are twitch games, which I usually don't play. I prefer mainly RPGs and MMOGs which tend to be fantasy based. MMOGs eat up a lot of time, so I don't play much else anymore.

Yeah, but I don't really like MMOG's, because they're just a bunch of people running around building levels, with no clear path to take. Also, I find working in groups and having to worry about when other people will be online a bit frustrating. Not to mention that you usually have to pay by month to play. This is what games seem to moving towards, though, whether I like it or not.

P.S.

I just realized your avatar is a really funny way of saying "Pumpkin Pie".
:yim_rolling_on_the_

Llenyd

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, but I don't really like MMOG's, because they're just a bunch of people running around building levels, with no clear path to take.

While I do enjoy the storylines of games like the Final Fantasy series, it's also nice to be able to just go off and do your own thing without being prodded into your next move. It also depends a lot on the game. EQ was very open and had very little plot, while WoW has many quest-driven stories for you to follow.

Also, I find working in groups and having to worry about when other people will be online a bit frustrating.

I'm single and pathetic, so it's not hard for me to set aside a few nights for raiding. I used to raid regularly, but haven't done so lately. (In fact I haven't played much at all lately. I'm trying to prod myself outside to do other things.) I also play a healing class, so I can easily get a PUG if I need to.

Not to mention that you usually have to pay by month to play.

It's ultimately cheaper for me. $15 a month vs $50 every 2-3 months for a new game.

I just realized your avatar is a really funny way of saying "Pumpkin Pie".
:yim_rolling_on_the_

:nerd: