• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socially awkward Extroverts

LucrativeSid

Being socially awkward is like peeing in the pool instead of the stream. There has to be flow.

And some people don't pee at all. That's very awkward, because they just dance around with nervous looks on their faces. Sometimes these people are extraverts.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha!!!! WHAT. THE. F*@K!!??

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I've read that I vs. E is associated with a structure in the brainstem called the Reticular Activating System (RAS for short), which regulate how sensory information is sent to the higher brain centers. Extroverts have a more "closed" RAS that sends less sensory input upward as opposed to the more "open" RAS of introverts. An "open" RAS, I'll guess, allows greater sensory sensitivity, and thus is more discriminating and precise, but pays for it in being more easily overwhelmed. A closed RAS can deal with lots of sensory informations coming from many directions, but pays for it in sensitivity and precision.

Interesting ... *heads off to google this*

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTJs can be hard to tell. The two that I know who immediately come to mind would talk until my ears were bleeding. They wouldn't shut up! :devil:

Thing was, they were only like that when they were around people. Otherwise, they were perfectly fine with being alone, and in fact usually preferred to work alone if it was an option.

This also describes me to the T. :yes:

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Hellooooo! I'm a nonsocial-turned-socially awkward extrovert. My awkwardness comes from impatience with social norms that I deem inefficient.

Example: Let's say I'm calling someone on their cell phone. I know that they know that it's me because of caller-ID. Therefore, I bypass the "Hi Bob! This is Phoenix. How are you?" and instead just jump into why I'm calling. It looks like this:

"Hello?"
"Hey, the office fax machine broke. Please fix it. Oh, and where are my pancakes, betch?!"
"Yes Phoenix. I am your humble servant. It shall be done."

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hellooooo! I'm a nonsocial-turned-socially awkward extrovert. My awkwardness comes from impatience with social norms that I deem inefficient.

Example: Let's say I'm calling someone on their cell phone. I know that they know that it's me because of caller-ID. Therefore, I bypass the "Hi Bob! This is Phoenix. How are you?" and instead just jump into why I'm calling. It looks like this:

"Hello?"
"Hey, the office fax machine broke. Please fix it. Oh, and where are my pancakes, betch?!"

lol you crack me up.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm starting to realize that it is the "what are all these people doing" thing running through my head that makes me feel more introverted/awkward. In engineering it was easier, there are many more quirky people so I wasn't very weird. :newwink:

But at a PTA meeting with parents who are really into what clothes their kids are wearing and getting their kids into cheerleading I'm looking around like "WTF are these people for real?"

I'm also a little over the "talking to everyone as if I'm interested in them" thing when I really am not.

I'm a broken ENFP!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm broken too then elaur. :)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

"Hello?"

In my country this is a social standard since no one likes formalities.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm starting to realize that it is the "what are all these people doing" thing running through my head that makes me feel more introverted/awkward. In engineering it was easier, there are many more quirky people so I wasn't very weird. :newwink:

But at a PTA meeting with parents who are really into what clothes their kids are wearing and getting their kids into cheerleading I'm looking around like "WTF are these people for real?"

I'm also a little over the "talking to everyone as if I'm interested in them" thing when I really am not.

I'm a broken ENFP!

Yeah I hate that too. It's uncomfortable if I'm not interested in the discussion, so I'll just leave. You sure you're ENFP lol?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I still wonder if you're an I.

I've looked pretty thoroughly at INTP, ENTP, and ENFP personality types, and I'm pretty certain I'm ENTP. Also the type that comes in second for me is ENFP, although I've concluded with certainty that I'm ENTP. I'm simply an ENTP with just a slight preference for both E and T.

ctang15

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Well there are basically two types I know of:

The shy extroverts is all too conscientious of what other people think of them to the point it gets to their nerves, and being nervous isn't exactly socially appealing.

The nonconformist extroverts is not conscientious enough of what other people think of them. They tend to speak their minds and ignore manners and what is "appropriate".

Usehername

On a mission
OMG I know an ESFx male who is so terrible at socializing.

When I last saw him he was early 20s and still acting like a pre-teen, making everyone around him feel weirded out. The problem was he was confident in himself and couldn't read that everyone else secretly saw him as, "eww GTFO," and then he'd get all emo about why he could never find a girlfriend.

He's one of the least self-aware people I know, which makes me think unhealthy Fe-dominant, though his interests were more SFP.

ctang15

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
He's one of the least self-aware people I know, which makes me think unhealthy Fe-dominant, though his interests were more SFP.

Really? I think Fe doms are the most self-conscious people ever. Some care too much about what others think for their own good.

Flux

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought I was an introvert for a long time because I'm not always the most talkative person. But, my parents told me I used to be extremely energetic and talkative ... so much so that I was frequently scolded for talking to much and just being a pest :tongue: They told me not to talk to strangers all the time lol.

College made me realize how much I enjoy and want to be around other people. I'm more 'ambiverted' then some extreme extraverts but still extraverted. In regards to general awkwardness ... Hmm, I know I'm a bit quirky and sometimes people tell me I'm weird, I'm outspoken and not always 'appropriate' -- most people just think its funny or kind of charming :shrug: :blush:

Usehername

On a mission
Really? I think Fe doms are the most self-conscious people ever. Some care too much about what others think for their own good.

Self-conscious does not mean the same thing as self-aware. You can still be self-conscious but fail at being self-aware.