• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Intuitives can be better with money...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've read a lot of articles that state how N's are generally poor at handling money because money is a so-called practical matter.

However, I think it is the N who is actually better with money, and I am going to explain.

While an N will probably see something they want and be more likely to not consider price, the way they are better with money is because they look at a purchase in terms of its meaning. I think N's are less likely to go to the store and buy things because they look nice like the S. The N's purchase tends to sort out the less obvious purpose of the item, and they can better sense how they are going to use things, simply because they are more intuitive.

I even know a lot of SJ's who buy things but throw them out in a week after they're done with it. One example is a treadmill that an SJ I know bought. After she gave up interest in exercising, she would throw the treadmill out. When she decided to exercise again, she had to spend money on another treadmill. And the dance kept repeating.

The thing is, a Sensor is more likely to buy things based on their beauty, like decorating their house or something like that. A lot of things have beauty, but considerably fewer things are of actual meaning. The point is that while an Intuitive has little interest in managing their money, they are also less likely to be conspicuous spenders, since the material things they possess are normally an expression of personal identity rather than for showing off.

In terms of worldly pursuits, the Intuitive is actually the one who is more practical. In this way, the N is more in tune with the object's usefulness.

Llenyd

MBTI Type
INTP
I think money management is more of a J/P thing. A J is more likely to make a budget and more likely to set aside a specific time to pay the bills.

My SP friends are notoriously bad with money, and I haven't balanced my checkbook in over 10 years.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any smart person will try to get the most value for their money. Value depends on the item and the person. Ie for a painting, most people would buy the one that looks nice vs the one that is guaranteed to last, whereas for a DVD player it would be the converse, regardless of type. One person may value beauty more in a given object while another values use--and most people value both in varying amounts. There might be a correlation with type but I think it's less than you're suggesting.

Your SJ friend sounds retarded btw. Who throws out an expensive treadmill after a week? Buying it and not using it would be more my style.

Llenyd

MBTI Type
INTP
Who throws out an expensive treadmill after a week? Buying it and not using it would be more my style.

A treadmill always gets use. It's just that sometimes that use is a glorified coat rack.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"But isn't buying it on SALE mean you're getting value? I mean, its on SALE!"

My great aunt throws out a ton of junk every month because of this mentality. The birthday presents she gives always includes food and soda; I have learned to always check the dates on everything. Ever drank pop that had moulded while still sealed?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Far as I know, N's aren't any better or worse than Ss. It just doesn't have that much influence.

Having said that, money habits are extremely complex - culture and upbringing are the dominant factors, I believe (and includes religion, which has a serious impact in the cases of Islam or any of the anti-materialism religions).

I know that there is a lot of applied psychology in ads, but again, it seems like it is just a matter of target marketing, not a significant net differece. For example, ads will tend to focus along certain behavioural traits, such as impulsivity being related to certain products that also offer immediate rewards. These aren't just along personality traits either and often exploit certain suggestive triggers along age, sex, culture, religion, social needs and so forth.

In any case, there are a ton of false assumptions when it comes to money, especially in the area of behaviour. In fact, in terms of behaviour, being open barely matters at all (except when it comes to status items). I would expect it to be similar for Ns. One of the biggest influences is actually E, althought the single biggest factor (by a gigantic amount) for budget and spending control, is "J". Ironically even the impact is counter-intuitive - E's actually worry about money a lot more than Is, while Js worry less because they excersize more control!

In any case, there are quite a few personality influence theories, none of which are really that great (A Keirsey view of money).

Llenyd

MBTI Type
INTP
"But isn't buying it on SALE mean you're getting value? I mean, its on SALE!"

That reminds me of the old joke:
A woman will pay $1 for an item worth $2 that she never uses.
A man will pay $2 for an item worth $1 that he uses every day.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think that N_J's might be good with money, but I doubt N_P's would be, unless they had developed their practical side. I think Extraverts might be more likely to worry about social aspects and what is thought of them, and thus spend money they can't really afford. So, I think that all the I__J types are probably best with money, followed closely by E__J's.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Far as I know, N's aren't any better or worse than Ss. It just doesn't have that much influence.

Having said that, money habits are extremely complex - culture and upbringing are the dominant factors, I believe.

I'd buy that for a dollar :D

Me, N, incredibly budget minded (I've even made up spreadsheets)
Husband, S, flighty, spendy, worries about money, but can't seem to save any.

Guess which one of us came from a household where things were bought on a budget and no one lived above their means and which one of us came from a household where dad held down two jobs so they could "keep up with the Jones'" - never having a spare dime to their name?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Me, N, incredibly budget minded (I've even made up spreadsheets)
Husband, S, flighty, spendy, worries about money, but can't seem to save any.

Spreadsheets are my lifeblood, so I hear that!

Guess which one of us came from a household where things were bought on a budget and no one lived above their means and which one of us came from a household where dad held down two jobs so they could "keep up with the Jones'" - never having a spare dime to their name?

Funny, but my parents aren't very good with money (and neither is my brother), but I'm very serious about it. I'm adopted, so genetics could play a pretty big part of this. However, having said that, it doesn't seem like certain types are uniquely better - more than they react to different environments differently. I'd probably be bad with money if my parents were the exact opposite as me - if they had been good with money, I'd probably never of taken an interest in it... and if my brother was brought up with different (responsible :D ) parents, he'd probably be different too.

But yah, as you say, money habits are very much related to your upbringing... and at the macro level, that includes culture and such.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well seeing as you went the other direction when it comes to gardening... this shouldn't come as a surprise ;)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm not good with money, but I'm still working on purging the poor people mentality about money that I was accustomed to.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
My ESFP brother is awful with money. Spends it on everything.

I'm the person who analyzes everything before I buy it.

At the Science Museum with Elwin:

Shark tooth? That, I like.

Hmm...do I want to spend that much money.

Souveniers are always too expensive.

But I've wanted one of those teeth since Florida...

Too much to spend now.

Wait, maybe I should have gotten that.... (As I'm leaving)

Nah.:doh:

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm excellent with money, and somehow I'm able to find the best deals every time I go out. However, one out of three times I bring $50 bills into public, I'll lose one. I lose $20 bills once in a while too. My clumsiness is a source of stress for me.

poor people mentality about money

I have recently adopted this. I love it, and so does my mother.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm certainly not good with money, and I work in a mall, so it's torture. My strategy is never to bring money with me to work that can buy anything more than lunch, and when I DO go looking at clothes in the mall, I don't bring money, so that I can't buy anything on a whim.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Spreadsheets are my lifeblood, so I hear that!

Funny, but my parents aren't very good with money (and neither is my brother), but I'm very serious about it. I'm adopted, so genetics could play a pretty big part of this. However, having said that, it doesn't seem like certain types are uniquely better - more than they react to different environments differently. I'd probably be bad with money if my parents were the exact opposite as me - if they had been good with money, I'd probably never of taken an interest in it... and if my brother was brought up with different (responsible :D ) parents, he'd probably be different too.

But yah, as you say, money habits are very much related to your upbringing... and at the macro level, that includes culture and such.
That's interesting, I relate to that...both my parents are mediocre-to-terrible with money, and I consider myself good with it. I deliberately decided at a young age that I wasn't going to make the mistakes my parents did. Can't really speculate on how I'd be if my parents were good with money though, can't really imagine it.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't keep a budget, and aside from my family somehow wasting money, I'm seldom tight on it. I tried to do it, once, a few months ago, but I became annoyed by the waste of time. I can maintain my balance just fine in my head, use some, pay bills (house, utilities, cards), etc, and still have some to save left over.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't keep a budget, and aside from my family somehow wasting money, I'm seldom tight on it. I tried to do it, once, a few months ago, but I became annoyed by the waste of time. I can maintain my balance just fine in my head, use some, pay bills (house, utilities, cards), etc, and still have some to save left over.

This is how I do mine and it works well as long as the supprises don't come up; then again I've been getting quicker at recovering from the supprises.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In any case, there are quite a few personality influence theories, none of which are really that great (A Keirsey view of money).

Well, they summed up the knowledge seeker's money habits quite nicely for me. I am horrible when it comes to buyer's remorse before buying. But when I actually buy, I feel better.