• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How is your type misunderstood?

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Some people mistakenly might think that when I'm talking about "intellectual stuff" I'm just trying to make them feel stupid or show-off my knowledge. Which ironically is exactly the opposite of my intention since I'm trying to have an intelligent conversation and if I considered them dumb I wouldn't even try.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That ENTJ's are driving, insensitive, and snappish. Though, to be fair, I am most comfortable when I'm in that state.

Mm. I'm more comfortable in bed having sex, or playing soccer. Much more fun, ain't it?

And that ENTJ's are all about themselves. Some do give that impression, yes. But ultimately, we'd rather run things than focus on ourselves.

I'd really rather focus on myself and closest ones. Running things is an hassle. I like running as sport, though.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
FDG, you have returned to believing that you are ENTJ? After reading your above post, what you right at enneagram institute and conversing with you for the past couple of years, I am unsure why you would think otherwise. Yet, since ESTPs and ENTJs can look-a-like, it's understood why you would vascillate on the two.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
FDG, you have returned to believing that you are ENTJ? After reading your above post, what you right at enneagram institute and conversing with you for the past couple of years, I am unsure why you would think otherwise. Yet, since ESTPs and ENTJs can look-a-like, it's understood why you would vascillate on the two.

I vacillate too! One day I like more to go to the beach, the next one to study computer science and economics with all the windows closed and without any form of social contact. Next day I want to be the chief of the school council, and the next one I want to emigrate to Hawaii and spend all my day lazing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Misperceptions:
  1. My laughter/low-key approach to things means I am not taking them seriously.
  2. My lack of overt emotional response means I do not care about someone or something.
  3. Focusing on the impersonal aspects of a problem means I am completely discounting/ignoring the personal aspects.
  4. A boring exterior means a boring interior.
  5. Being "soft" outwardly or flexy means I can't be tough when it counts.
  6. Having ideals and visions and a strong imagination means I'm not realistic.
  7. Being so messy outwardly means I enjoy the mess. (Actually, I don't; but it means less for me to clean up, or I can't seem to figure out how to get it organized because I refuse to just make broad categories; so I live with it because I'd rather be doing something else more important.)
  8. My being quiet around new people meaning that I must be a snob (no, I'm just scared of saying the wrong thing).

I'll accept Sona is an ISTJ since that's what he states, but he doesn't come off very close to the written descriptions imo. The deliberate stirring up of drama is not center line sensible. It's all rather prankstery and difficult from appearances to understand the 'why' of it. Both of those aspects don't seem textbook ISTJ.

Really? Honestly, I've never doubted the ISTJ reading and was surprised to see you doing so. He's not being "prankstery" as much as he's just "acting out" as ISTJs are very wont to do, at least the ones in my age bracket and lower. (ISTJs in their 40's and higher tend to be more stable or show a more intellectual bent here in the US... but perhaps that is because I am mostly in professional-style circles.) Sona is angry towards authority. He wants a reaction. It gives him an excuse to vent and release his frustration. ISTJs can be very very ornery against established authority that they disagree with. They are trapped in that framework; they don't feel comfortable just IGNORING it, but they cannot keep their mouths shut either because their intellectual ideals are being violated, so they stir up trouble instead on a low-key level.

Park

MBTI Type
INTP
Misperceptions:
  1. My laughter/low-key approach to things means I am not taking them seriously.
  2. My lack of overt emotional response means I do not care about someone or something.
  3. Focusing on the impersonal aspects of a problem means I am completely discounting/ignoring the personal aspects.

Yeah, I run into all of that as well. The above does suggest that you (like me) in situations where an emotional reaction it is expected, choose not to make use of Fe.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
No one knows "my type", but people often think I'm either really high or was really high the previous night. I've never done drugs at all though, so its kind of irritating. I think this is because of my calm outside nature, my weird and sometimes trippy art (like a flying purple Rhino), and maybe some other things I'm not aware of.

People often see me as horribly disorganised and impractical. The impractical part is true, but I only seem disorganised because the things where people actually pay attention to organisation (like school) I don't really have a strong interest in. Things I do care about I organise and can be very bitchy about. If someone puts something important in the wrong palce, I'll make sure they know about it :devil: :blush:

I don't know what people think of me when they first meet me, especially my dad's friends, because I'm quiet and hate small talk. Introductions are really uncomfortable, so I think epople might think I'm very anti-social. My dad says I'm anti-social soemtimes, like when I get home from school and he asks me how it was and I say it was bad because I don't like being surrounded by people so much. He says "thats a bad attitude" or "don't be so anti-social", but I'm really not anti-social at all.

A lot of people who don't know me think I'm stupid because I don't talk much and when I do its often random or irellevant. At some point they get to know me better or hear me talk a bit more about something I care about and say "wow, you're actually smart after all".

Some people think I'm irrational... its not that I'm irrational, its just that I can't talk statistics and numbers, I always divert it away from those things. Business class was tough in that sense, ahahaha. I've noticed that when talking to more rationally thinking people they're argument/opinion is based in reality and fact, while mine is hypothetical or imaginative, which results in "but realistically that will never happen" and me having to remind them I'm aware of that but I like exploring the posibilities of ideas. I suppose that all ties into the practicality I'm spoke of earlier, or lack thereof.

My favourite has to be that I'm insane. People tell me I'm insane or crazy or just really weird all the time, and I get a good kick out of it, it makes me feel like I can get away with anything somehow. "Why do I do whatever? 'Cause I'm crazy ol' GZA."

heart

heart on fire
That INFP are all people pleasing crawlers. :smile:

Please meet my little friend...:steam: He sleeps in the 4th bedroom.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ne misunderstood

It strikes my as annoying that people misunderstand my Ne-type sarcasm, parody, acting, unannounced stand-up comedy and dead-pan humor as something real. S-types are by far the most guilty of such misunderstanding. Their whole body seems to communicate "WTF?:shock: and take my communication at face value and regard it as inappropriate.

The clue to opening such humor would be to realize that my expressions are grossly out of line with my previous statements. Judging that would need the appropriate skill on receivers part, too. Some improvised dead-pan comedy opens up with T functions, some wild (and faked) political views are recognized as farce by using the F functions.

I do tend to over-estimate how much people can look past the obvious.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
It strikes my as annoying that people misunderstand my Ne-type sarcasm, parody, acting, unannounced stand-up comedy and dead-pan humor as something real. S-types are by far the most guilty of such misunderstanding. Their whole body seems to communicate "WTF?:shock: and take my communication at face value and regard it as inappropriate.

The clue to opening such humor would be to realize that my expressions are grossly out of line with my previous statements. Judging that would need the appropriate skill on receivers part, too. Some improvised dead-pan comedy opens up with T functions, some wild (and faked) political views are recognized as farce by using the F functions.

I do tend to over-estimate how much people can look past the obvious.

Yeah, I hate that about a lot of Ss, too. It's frustrating when you make a really off the wall remark and then they agree with you, because then you only have two choices:

1. correct them, leaving them feeling like an idiot
2. don't correct them, leaving you feeling like an idiot