• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing women as F and men as T?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I had one of those moments the other day that made me realise I was maybe secretly kind of sexist (which I don't mean to be lol).

I had roughly typed a sister of mine as an ESFP, turns out she is an ESTP, so I wasn't far off the mark.

But it made me realise I was typing females as F whereas I was more willing to apply the T to a male.

The only time I would give a T to a woman was where she was blatanly colder than what I was used to, and my sister isn't. But now that I have typed her correctly I can clearly see the T in her and I am surprised I gave her an F.

Anyway has anyone ever found that they are quicker to roughly type a female as an F, or is it just me? :doh:

deleted
There's a 66 percent chance that a 30-year-old woman will marry if she has a college degree or less, and there's like a 66 percent chance that a female is an F?

I'd say any married 30-year-old woman with a college degree or less is probably an F. The numbers prove it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meh. So you think the numbers are right... and that they overlap so completely too?

Frankly, in most cultures, the maternal instincts of women (coupled with the lack of them in men) leads to development of tighter-knit and more observable relationships among the women, whereas the men have a natural bent towards looser connection and express it more impersonally.

It's pretty easy to mistake the female cultural mindset for "F" and the male cultural mindset for "T". Even F guys can commonly show masculinized behaviors normally stereotyped as T, but if you know them at all, then you realize they're value-driven and not T's at all.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Yeah this is a huge problem when typing.... as I tend to do the same

But just to add even more complexity to the situation, get this: I had orignally typed my gay INTJ friend as like ENFP or INFP, because he's pretty chatty and has tons of friends (mostly women). So I also think there's a tendancy to type male homosexuals as F, and perhaps female homosexuals as T

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well, I hesitate to disagree with lemons, but I do, regardless.

Anyway, yeah, if it's not obvious, I work under the assumption that males are T and females are F until more data is introduced.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, the "gay" factor confounds the issue as well.

deleted
Anyway, yeah, if it's not obvious, I work under the assumption that males are T and females are F until more data is introduced.

It is a bit like sizing up Jack here. I work under the assumption that he is completely nuts until any simple sign of logic is shown by his efforts.

Yeah this is a huge problem when typing.... as I tend to do the same

But just to add even more complexity to the situation, get this: I had orignally typed my gay INTJ friend as like ENFP or INFP, because he's pretty chatty and has tons of friends (mostly women). So I also think there's a tendancy to type male homosexuals as F, and perhaps female homosexuals as T

Hmm... I always thought homosexuality lied dormant in the ISTJ not the N.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Well thank fugly for that, I am glad I'm not the only one out there lol.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It is a bit like sizing up Jack here. I work under the assumption that he is completely nuts until any simple sign of logic is shown by his efforts.
You can't see it? I'll just work under the assumption that you're either blind, or are on life support due to brain malfunction. At least they let you use the net, aye?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
and there's like a 66 percent chance that a female is an F?

Yeah, I'm sure that figure is accurate. :rolleyes:

There are cultural expectations for females to be more 'F' and males 'T', so the bias makes sense.

deleted
Dude, where are you getting this crap? Homosexuality could be dormant in ANY type

I'm citing a joke that was among a few of us here. Inside voice, sorry. Note the sarcastic hum.

You can't see it? I'll just work under the assumption that you're either blind, or are on life support due to brain malfunction. At least they let you use the net, aye?

Oh no this time I saw it, but like always you had to ruin your chances by referring to one of your childhood dilemmas.

G

garbage

The only time I would give a T to a woman was where she was blatanly colder than what I was used to, and my sister isn't. But now that I have typed her correctly I can clearly see the T in her and I am surprised I gave her an F.

This is the problem I have when typing people in general. I'm comparatively middle-of-the-road on the I/E axis, so when trying to figure that dimension out, "like me" and "not like me" doesn't work.

Anyway has anyone ever found that they are quicker to roughly type a female as an F, or is it just me? :doh:

The general rule that I use is that T women tend to act in a slightly more culturally-perceived masculine way.. the most obvious is that they're more direct in communication.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
The general rule that I use is that T women tend to act in a slightly more culturally-perceived masculine way.. the most obvious is that they're more direct in communication.

As is my sister, you would think I would have picked it up when her friend said "does this dress make me look fat" and she replied "no the fat makes you look fat" and burst out laughing in her evil laughter lol.

I would never say anything like that, no matter how close I was to a person, I would find a more tactful way of saying it.

She is so direct, doesn't hold anything back, isn't afraid of hurting anyones feelings, you would think I would have seen it straight off. :doh:

deleted
She is so direct, doesn't hold anything back, isn't afraid of hurting anyones feelings, you would think I would have seen it straight off. :doh:

It other words you're grateful for having a female close to you who is more inclined to give the correct answer.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
her friend said "does this dress make me look fat" and she replied "no the fat makes you look fat" and burst out laughing in her evil laughter lol.

Ooh that's a great line, that's going on the recycling pile.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
It other words you're grateful for having a girl close to you who is more inclined to give the correct answer.

I am actually, how did you pick that up from my post? lol

I was thrilled to find out she was an ESTP, honestly. It was good to know that at least one of my siblings is not going to be all wishy washy with me when I want a direct answer.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I am actually, how did you pick that up from my post? lol

I was thrilled to find out she was an ESTP, honestly. It was good to know that at least one of my siblings is not going to be all wishy washy with me when I want a direct answer.

Actually F v T isnt going to affect wishy washiness. Go talk to an ESFJ you want to find out.

dee

MBTI Type
Enfj
Enneagram
2+1
I can tell when a women is a T, ok so normally they will seem somewhat F (at least more than a T man) because they are women, but when you get to know them even a little, it is totally obvious.
As far as men go, well, I think F men that can at all help it, in our society try to hide at least some of the F in them. So it can be hard to tell, but same goes for them, if you just get to know them a bit, it gets obvious too.

I am so F! and I hate that sometimes, cause then people think I am a sterotypical emotional women etc, etc, which I'm totally not! I have a lot of "masculine" type traits about me, it's just the way I am.. but they see F, and they're just like,
so typical tsk tsk...
People can be so ignorant.. because of stereotypes...