• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Define Extroversion

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
It gets tossed around quite a bit, so what is it exactly?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Mmm I love being around people. It doesn't mean I have to be the center of attention, I just like being with people. Interacting.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To be extroverted is to be defined by external influences, to gather energy from being around others.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm in an odd mood so this may sound weird but for me it has something to do with the saying if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it or sees it did it really happen?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
i'm in an odd mood so this may sound weird but for me it has something to do with the saying if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it or sees it did it really happen?

So you're saying I do not exist because I'm sitting in my school library and nobody around me? Oh noes...

But on topic, I used to consider extroversion as someone with an insecurity of self. Needing others to supply you with energy or happiness was something I considered a weakness while younger. Now, I just see it as where one chooses to expend their energy.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ haha...no...i'm just saying i realized that's what it feels like to me.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
If your dominant process is extraverted, you are an extravert.

At least, that is the definition I subscribe to.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
If your dominant process is extraverted, you are an exrtavert.

At least, that is the definition I subscribe to.
but how does one know if their dominant process is extraverted?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
It's easier to tell in some people than others.

Sometimes it's easy to tell a Ne dom (always on about patterns they observe), for example... but with many of us, it's not very easy at all!

Extraversion versus introversion is a pretty unimportant thing. When it comes down to it, it's only about function order, and one mutation's worth at that. Doesn't really say much.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Do you prefer to sit there and work stuff out in your head? Build intricate models?

That sounds like you prefer the internal world to me... hence I.

Extroverts are not these things.. that's how I work.. Never took the time to define properly what extroversion is.. hell THEY never take time over definitions so why the hell should I?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think extroversion is the tendency to seek gratification mostly from outside influences. While an introvert seeks most gratification from within their internal world.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
We had a nice long two weeks where everyone was on vacation. By the end of the vacation I was about to pull out my hair without realizing it was because we just hung around the house for two weeks. My INFJ husband was in heaven. Not that he doesn't like people but it was a nice break for him.

I get charged with people.
He gets charged alone.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't know enough about the teachings of type to describe it in those terms...but...my thoughts swirl about and i like to bounce them off of people...they never feel complete until i do.....experiences in general feel flat unless i'm sharing them with someone...most of the time.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
i don't know enough about the teachings of type to describe it in those terms...but...my thoughts swirl about and i like to bounce them off of people...they never feel complete until i do.....experiences in general feel flat unless i'm sharing them with someone...most of the time.

Yeah that makes sense to me. I've always thought of it as extroverts needing some sort of mirror or reflection in the outside world for them to fully take in their own thoughts. Like, to take it in, they need to get it out of themselves first.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's quite odd actually the experience of learning this about yourself...quite often i don't know how i feel about something until i've said it.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Extraverts like being around more people.
Introverts prefer being alone or with only 1 or 2 other people.

I know I get the most focus, motivation, and achievement when I am alone. However, I may be in a happier mood when I'm with people. Still, I prefer being alone, I love me.

We had a nice long two weeks where everyone was on vacation. By the end of the vacation I was about to pull out my hair without realizing it was because we just hung around the house for two weeks. My INFJ husband was in heaven. Not that he doesn't like people but it was a nice break for him.

I get charged with people.
He gets charged alone.

Good example, it's basically this.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I get charged being with people -- I light up. But I spend so much time doing things by myself, because I love that too.

So, it's the best of both worlds. Being a person that enjoys solitary activity as well as interaction.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Extroverts look like this: C
Introverts look like this: O
Any questions? I DIDN'T THINK SO.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so you're complete and we are not...wow...i don't think i like that a bit...but maybe it's true.