• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Define Extroversion

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like that better thanks.
ETA: and...sorry jack if my tone sounded shitty.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
so you're complete and we are not...wow...i don't think i like that a bit...but maybe it's true.

I had thought this way for a long time. Deep down, I still do. To me, it was if you filled your gaps with other people. I think this may stem more from my desire to be completely self-sufficient, independent and my perplexity in regards to others' social behavior.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i just think my gifts are in dealing with people and without them they cannot be used....right?
so...it's just a different skill set.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
i just think my gifts are in dealing with people and without them they cannot be used....right?
so...it's just a different skill set.
More than skill, I'd say it's related to desire. Desire to interact, desire to be alone.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's interesting isn't it...i feel like i'm not all of myself when i'm alone which does sound like it's incomplete...but it's not filling myself up with them...it's them bringing out parts of me.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Now, introverted and extraverted functions, yeah, that makes sense.

But when you get to introverts/extraverts... beings themselves... it just seems like superfluous ingroup/outgrouping (or organisation, depending on the presence of bias)

Edit: or... perhaps you are right... erinavery feels incomplete without people around... something I cannot relate to

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
it's interesting isn't it...i feel like i'm not all of myself when i'm alone which does sound like it's incomplete...but it's not filling myself up with them...it's them bringing out parts of me.

See, for someone like me, the idea that I cannot be all of myself without other people is extremely unsettling. Unable to access or utilize abilities without social contact would make me feel slightly incomplete.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Now, introverted and extraverted functions, yeah, that makes sense.

But when you get to introverts/extraverts... beings themselves... it just seems like superfluous ingroup/outgrouping
That happens to be opposed to how I see it, as I see those who crave, say, company more than isolation, and vice versa--Then function use which has little to do with that preference.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't think i'm aware of that feeling when my life is in balance...it's all out a whack at the moment.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My definition(s) of extroversion:

When I am in a social environment I, (more often than not), become acutely aware of my surroundings. When I am conversing with another I have very little difficulty actually paying attention to them and what they are saying.

I spend pensive time when *alone*, and I rarely withdraw when with people (I care about, or who are interesting, or new).

I literally get a kind of high when I interact with stimulating "good" people, I feel a sense of purpose and drive, my brain works its best when interacting with a certain few.

I LOVE HAVING DEEP AND INSIGHTFUL CONVERSATIONS AND DEBATES, I LIVE FOR THEM, AND THEY ARE PERHAPS MY FAVORITE THINGS TO HAVE/EXPERIENCE/DO.

Connecting with people via conversation is something that makes my life worth living.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
How do you see them? Concisely, if you will. Refresh my memory.
Well, in the context of I/E:

Take the ENFP and INFP, for example. I say both lead with Intuition, which is an intersection of Ni and Ne as Jung conceived them (Parts of both; All of neither), and both have Feeling as the 2nd, or support function.

I/E will affect behavior, and must also affect use of N,S,T, and F. So, perhaps the INFP does use "Ni" more than "Ne," and perhaps not, but I propose it's just as likely they use "Fi" more than "Fe" also, and so on.

What I claim is that it doesn't matter. /concise

The position that function orientation matters, and the position that people of a given type have a rigid four or eight function order has gotten no one anywhere. They understand no more about themselves or anyone else as a result.

By concentrating only on the four preferences a la MBTI with the addition of preferring a P or J function (which is directly related to P or J in type), we can concentrate on what's relevant and ignore what isn't.

G

garbage

This thread really got me thinking.

To me, extroversion means that I seem to constantly need something going, usually multiple stimuli at once. At work, I'll listen to music and drink tea while swapping back and forth between multiple projects, all the while welcoming interruptions from emails or coworkers stopping by.. focusing on one task is admittedly sometimes difficult, but I can juggle multiple tasks with ease. When I'm at home, I've either got a chat window going while doing other things, or I'm on the phone, or I've got people over. Out and about in grocery stores and the like, I'm always looking around and observing my surroundings and other people. Socially, I generally can't help but contribute to conversations when I feel that I actually can.

Above all, I actively try to learn from other people. As others have said, they bring out parts of me that I may not have seen before.. but then those parts also often stick with me to some degree once they're brought out.

Well, in the context of I/E:

Take the ENFP and INFP, for example. I say both lead with Intuition, which is an intersection of Ni and Ne as Jung conceived them (Parts of both; All of neither), and both have Feeling as the 2nd, or support function.

I/E will affect behavior, and must also affect use of N,S,T, and F. So, perhaps the INFP does use "Ni" more than "Ne," and perhaps not, but I propose it's just as likely they use "Fi" more than "Fe" also, and so on.

And, in this context (which I like!), I suppose extroversion can also mean that my singular Thinking function is oriented toward planning, organizing, systematizing, and otherwise logically processing the outside world most of the time, because that's largely where my attention is.