• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Define Extroversion

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Introversion and Extroversion are associated with a structure in the brain stem called the Reticular Activating System, which regulates the flow of sensory information into the Cortex. An overactive RAS that censors sense data too much is associated with Extroversion while an underactive RAS that lets too much sense data through is associated with Introversion.

Thus the mind of the Extrovert feels starved of sense data and actively seeks more while the mind of the Introvert feels overwhelmed by sense data and withdraws from direct contact so it can process the sense data. This produces the differences described by Jung, Es orient themselves to the outside world, the source of the much-wanted sense-data, while Is withdraw into the inner world of their minds in order to process all the incoming sense-data in peace.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've also heard the difference described as how one filters information. The extrovert has real-time filters that allows them to take in only information in a situation that has been deemed relevant. For this reason they can sweep through a room and filter out who needs to be addressed and then move on. This make the extrovert the ideal host. They can quickly access who needs water, cheering up, a second helping, etc. They probably won't focus on individual needs that would not be reasonably addressed in such a situation.

The introvert is more overwhelmed by taking in too much information and needs more time to process and sort through it. The introvert will absorb all kinds of emotional and social cues that aren't necessarily relevant to fulfilling a host's duties. This makes groups overwhelming and even confusing. They might not realize someone needs water because in talking and focusing on one person, they are getting a deeper sense of the one person in ways that might not be relevant to the dinner party overall.

Edit: Ha, I was trying to say what TaylorS did, but in more anecdotal terms.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Edit: Ha, I was trying to say what TaylorS did, but in more anecdotal terms.
LOL!!!

I HATE big parties, I like being with a small group of people I know really well. I won't go to a big social event (like, say, a dance at a nightclub) unless there are people I know well there

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I may be a pretty extreme introvert, but to me it comes down to a desperate need for alone time -- several hours daily is an absolute must, or I can't think clearly and I panic. I do all of my thinking alone. If I'm with people, they distract me, I use Ne and Fe exclusively and it all becomes exhausting after a while. Being with people (except a close SO) is a performance that I often half-ass just to hurry up and escape. It is a chore, with a few exceptions (I'm human).

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The introvert is more overwhelmed by taking in too much information and needs more time to process and sort through it. The introvert will absorb all kinds of emotional and social cues that aren't necessarily relevant to fulfilling a host's duties. This makes groups overwhelming and even confusing. They might not realize someone needs water because in talking and focusing on one person, they are getting a deeper sense of the one person in ways that might not be relevant to the dinner party overall.

This reminds me of something I once read about schizophrenics: they have great difficulty selectively processing external stimuli. One might be able to tell you exactly how many times the phone rang in a store, but not be able to supply what we would consider primary, or figure, information such as what purchases he or she made. People with extreme social anxiety can also be overwhelmed to the point of derealization...well, I have had that happen in public during panicky moments.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I have been around people all day and I am done. i am totally mentally and physically exhausted and looking forward to some peace and quiet tomorrow.

it would be great if i were extroverted because i would probably be less bitchy but i honestly can't stand being around people for long periods of time. the last time i went out with a group of people it took me two days to recover.

not sure of other introverts feel this way but if I am social with a large group, the next day I feel as though I've been emotionally violated. This used to happen to me when i was younger and would go to clubs and I always thought that dreadful feeling I'd have the next day was a hangover when in fact it was just way too much human contact.