• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Order of Cognitive Functions?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Can someone please explain to me what the order of the cognitive functions means? For example...

ISTJ - Si, Te, Fi, Ne

Si is primary, Te is auxiliary, Fi is tertiary, and Ne is inferior. I know what the cognitive functions mean, but what does this order mean?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Most certainly! It means nothing, and by the way, ISTJs are Thinking Primary, then Sensing. Makes sense, right, I mean ISTPs are more involved in the physical world, what with their Sensing being Primary and having Thinking in support. Oh, dear me.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the John Beebe archetype model:
Si "hero" function; the one most trusted
Te "parent"; one that supports the hero, and you use to support others.
Fi "eternal child": find relief from the function
Ne: aspirational/projective; first experienced as "shoulds and fears, develops more in midlife.

The other four (the first four with the opposite attitude), are the negative versions of the first four archetypes: opposing personality, critical parent, mischeivous child, destructive.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah, but what does the actual order of them mean? For example, instead of having Ne first, I have Si first. What does the following order mean:

Si, Te, Fi, Ne ?

Thanks.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Ah I've found my answer. I found on wikipedia the following information:

The Dominant function is the personality type's preferred role, the one they feel most comfortable with. The secondary Auxiliary function serves to support and expand on the Dominant function. If the Dominant is an information gathering function (sensing or intuition), the Auxiliary is a decision making function (thinking or feeling), and vice versa. The Tertiary function is less developed than the Dominant and Auxiliary, but it matures over time, rounding out the person's abilities. The Inferior function is the personality type's Achilles' heel. This is the function they are least comfortable with. Like the Tertiary, the Inferior function strengthens with maturity.[8]

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The order just means that you more instinctively and easily use the ones near the top, and less near the bottom.

So theoretically, Si comes very naturally to you and me. Te is also pretty easy. But Fi can be tough, and Ne is hard to grapple. Something like that...

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
The order just means that you more instinctively and easily use the ones near the top, and less near the bottom.

So theoretically, Si comes very naturally to you and me. Te is also pretty easy. But Fi can be tough, and Ne is hard to grapple. Something like that...

Ah ok, makes sense then. Thanks.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some functions oppose other functions. For example, Thinking opposes Feeling because in order to think or to engage in logical reasoning, one must be dispassionate. Feeling requires attunement with the passions. Thus, if you are a dominant Thinking type, Feeling is your inferior function. Similarly, if you are dominant Sensing type, Intuition is your inferior function. Sensation opposes Intuition because it insists on supressing imagination in order to properly focus on one particular item that is sensed. Imagination needs to be supressed in order for this to be accomplished because it introduces a wealth of images irrelevant to the one concrete entity that is perceived by the senses. For example, sensation will be interested in recollecting just this one flower it has perceived. Intuition or imagination is a hindrance to this task because it shall envisage many different images of flowers and obfuscate the image of this one flower Sensation strives to preserve.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I thought about the idea that if you come to logical conclusions internally like Ti, ouldnt it be possible that you then do the same with Fi ? That means Ti have Fi inferior and vice versa.

Of course it would be inferior, but I think if you are high on Ti for example, Fi wont be that inferior as one shall suspect.