• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to distinguish ESFP and ENFP?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
- ESFPs tend to seek new experiences and ENFPs seek new ideas/possibilities. Yes, these can cross over, but you have to look for an overall preference and determine the motivations behind the actions.

this corroborates what I was going for in my original post that was subsequently attacked. The ESFPs get in trouble for seeking experiences at the expense of their responsibilities, while the ENFPs get in trouble for focusing on the possibilities at the expense of their responsibilities.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this corroborates what I was going for in my original post that was subsequently attacked. The ESFPs get in trouble for seeking experiences at the expense of their responsibilities, while the ENFPs get in trouble for focusing on the possibilities at the expense of their responsibilities.

I personally find that very plausible. It's just people not getting past the negativity of the statement and poor use of vocabulary. (Hard to make a point using the word "fuckup" and expect people to take you seriously.) If you take that out, it's just that ESFP's are busy having fun, (doing whatever it is that they do), and ENFP's are busy in their own minds, coming up with new and exciting ideas. In both cases, it can cause the person to slack and become preoccupied and fail to get things done. Pretty much as stated in the above, and good examples earlier about the pot smoker vs. dinner goer btw.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I'd like to say I value dependabilty, but I might be a little too one sided about it :( And as much as I want good vibes between everyone, I might get a little distracted when people are opening up. I'm listening and all that, but they don't always have my undivided attention.

I'm only really mentioning it because this is how a lot of conversations can be with me. It's hard to get my full,undivided attention (at least I think I appear that way from the outside).
How would you recommend working through this with ESFP... I've had so many times in the last several months where she agreed to help me on a project, give me something, go with me somewhere etc... and she made excuses at the last minute and because of this I got a a) late grade b) completely lost my birthday plans c) fell through as a friend when I was going through a tough breakup... :(

It seems if I talked to her she'd just get frustrated and not understand, because life to her is about having fun. She's an A student but views life as she wants to just go live life recklessly and experience it while she's young. lol That she might have not been the best friend she could be in these situations never even seemed to cross her mind - she didn't apologize or anything and was peachy happy and friendly the next time I saw her...

This same sort of flaking out happened to me to a lesser extent with another IxFP friend as well so I'm wondering if it's just me that feels it's important to follow through when I'm depending on someone for something they agreed to...

KDude

How would you recommend working through this with ESFP... I've had so many times in the last several months where she agreed to help me on a project, give me something, go with me somewhere etc... and she made excuses at the last minute and because of this I got a a) late grade b) completely lost my birthday plans c) fell through as a friend when I was going through a tough breakup... :(

It seems if I talked to her she'd just get frustrated and not understand, because life to her is about having fun. She's an A student but views life as she wants to just go live life recklessly and experience it while she's young. lol That she might have not been the best friend she could be in these situations never even seemed to cross her mind - she didn't apologize or anything and was peachy happy and friendly the next time I saw her...

This same sort of flaking out happened to me to a lesser extent with another IxFP friend as well so I'm wondering if it's just me that feels it's important to follow through when I'm depending on someone for something they agreed to...

I'm sorry, but I'm the last person to give advice about flaking :\ And if your other friend is ISFP, then they're probably a little flaky too. You don't have to change your approach or anything... we just suck XP

I come back and act peachy when I flake out too... But I tend to apologize/be more self aware after the fact. I hope your friend grows up and does the same thing before more distance grows between the two of you.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Eek, unfortunately that sounds kind of stereotypical of young ESFP's. She definitely doesn't mean to hurt your feelings and probably hasn't given much thought to the consequences that she caused. I don't know if this will work, but I would talk to her. Just keep the assumption in mind that she didn't mean to cause you any harm. Many of us don't read minds very well and she probably doesn't even know that she's doing it because no one ever told her. It may not work at first. I've personally been trying to break myself of these lifelong procrastination and slacking habits. But it may plant a seed in her mind and help a little.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Well, how could one distinguish ESFP and ENFP?

Tell me concrete examples in particular.

Why do I ask? Because I have a strange feeling, you know, that there are many ESFPs who are being typed as ENFP, but actually they are ESFPs. How do you see it?

Of the two most significant romantic relationships of my life: one was with an ESFP, and the other an ENFP.

They are both extremely fun-loving and adorable, but the primary difference is that things don't go over the ENFP's head.

Now, I'm an INTJ, so maybe I'm in a special position to test in this kinda way, as I can go off on some Ni thought-path, and my ENFP will follow.

The ESFP: well, she would just kinda give me a blank stare...

So, yeah, pretty easy for me. Maybe not for others.

KDude

^I think I'm a little brighter than umm.. the stereotype, and yet I STILL have things go over my head a lot. Sometimes though I figure it out moments later, but at that point, everyone is amused at the first reaction... so I don't fight it. They can think what they like... but NOW I'm going over THEIR heads by playing dumb. :p

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Haha, yeah, my ESFP ex used that same, umm, "argument".

I've heard it from numerous ESFPs.

Don't worry; you guys have your talents, too.

I never call her dumb; she's just not particularly smart in that way.

KDude

I read that in Socionics, INTP's were good at reading (and even appreciating) ESFPs. You sure you're not one of them?:cool:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I'm very close. Hence, why I put xNTx in my profile.

If you see my signature, you'll see the (approximate) percentages I fall on each side of the scale.

Ni is my dom, but I am a heavy user of Ti, Te, and Ne, as well.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Imo, relative J/P balance would cause an INTJ -- like myself -- share many of the qualities of an INTP, as the INTJ's "shadow functions" will be more present in his thinking than a non-J/P balanced INTJ.

* Haha, but you're an ESFP, so you're probably giving me that blank stare right now.

;)

KDude

What are you in Soc? I think the closest to MBTI INTP is INTj, not actually INTp. And ESFp is the INTj's dual.

Kind of a derail, but what the hell..

[edit] Well, I was typing this while you typed that. I'll move on to blankly staring now.. ;)

[edit] Bahaha.. need sleep. So wrong. ESFp and INTp are duals. Yet, INTp could be MBTI's INTJ

OK, got it right now. not that any of this shit matters...!

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yeah, I was always confused by the whole socionics things.

I think I'm an INTj on there as well, which may or may not correllate to an INTJ or INTP in MBTI.

I dunno, it all seems to be a bit of a mess, and, to be honest, I eventually just decided to leave Socionics alone, cuz I thought it just seemed to make a mess of everything.

I do remember thought that Socionics INTj and ESFp were supposedly duals.

Having been in a relationship with one, I think PersonalityPage.com's theory on relationships is better (i.e., shared dominant function, but with opposite attitude [i.e., one's an introvert, the other's an extrovert, but they both are Ns])

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this is a good question. my ESFP friends and I have a strange relationship almost like one would have with a dog. I don't mean this condescendingly, it's just that they are fun and playful and great to spend to time, but at the same time, we don't understand each other at all =P a lot of the time it's hard to tell if ESXPs like me because I can't tell if they're making fun of me, playing with me, or just curious and trying to figure me out (this is the case much of the time. they will often come across as making fun of me, but really they're just trying to see what makes me tick)
PS: I am definitely the BS philosophy theory on the spot guy hahaha

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, how could one distinguish ESFP and ENFP?

Pull out your dick and wave it like a propeller.

If the person bursts out laughing, it's an ESFP.
If the person looks around nervously / chuckles uncomfortably = ENFP.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Pull out your dick and wave it like a propeller.

If the person bursts out laughing, it's an ESFP.
If the person looks around nervously / chuckles uncomfortably = ENFP.
If I raise my eyebrow with an amused look, then what's that? :shock:

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
After reading through 24 pages of painful posts (*cough* I only scanned them.)

I think I'm more of an ENFP.

I'm sorry ESFP clan :cry: It's time to go.

I might change. Hell I might even become an INTP. Highly Unlikely, but possible.

:doh:

Maybe I should just quit this typology thing..

R

Riva

After reading through 24 pages of painful posts (*cough* I only scanned them.)

I think I'm more of an ENFP.

I'm sorry ESFP clan :cry: It's time to go.

I might change. Hell I might even become an INTP. Highly Unlikely, but possible.

:doh:

Maybe I should just quit this typology thing..

:cry:

ScareBear

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know I'm a latecomer to this particular thread but I thought I'd offer my insight. I have a friend that is ESFP and I notice that we have similar tastes in quite a few things however, we differ in other things. She's really aware with her senses so much so that often she'll say she doesn't like the feel of something that I never even thought about.

Our conversations tend to be more about what happened that particular day (I let her talk and I mostly listen... or very rarely ponder on things like zombie apocalypse scenarios while pretending to listen but still semi listening).
Whereas conversations I love getting into are more based on what ifs and oh look, a dancing banana! :banana: Then she just glares at me like I'm an idiot so I try to keep the topic on things she likes to talk about (again letting her talk and I ponder the theory of pieless clowns. Seriously, what would life be like if clowns threw something else into each other's faces?).

I also find it interesting that she's looking into a career in physical therapy and I'm considering occupational therapy... if you look at both careers one seems more suitable for ESFP and the other ENFP and they both have similar goals but one is more about the physical aspect of getting better and the other one deals more with the mental aspect.

So in my dealings with ESFPs they tend to be more in the hear and now and are more physically aware of things whereas ENFPs are about possibilities and theories and flying taco monsters.