• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to distinguish ESFP and ENFP?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
paying attention to faces is all about esteeming interpretation.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Some whacked out stuff in this thread.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just copied a bunch of ENFP/ESFP stuff but couldn't bring myself to post..it's just way too long.

obviously there are many similarities on a surface level...but if you pay attention to what they talk about, what they think is funny, what they prioritize and what they place value in it should be easy to see...i think.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maybe i'll paste some of it..
Extraverted iNtuition

The physical world, both geos and kosmos, is the ENFP's primary source of information. Rather than sensing things as they are, dominant intuition is sensitive to things as they might be. These extraverted intuitives are most adept with patterns and connections. Their natural inclination is toward relationships, especially among people or living things.

Intuition leans heavily on feeling for meaning and focus. Its best patterns reflect the interesting points of people, giving rise to caricatures of manner, speech and expression.

Extraverted Sensing

The dominant function of ESFPs is concerned with the reality that is perceived through the senses. This type's prime directive is to examine the tangible through taste, touch, sight, feeling and hearing. ESFPs' need for new experiences surely results from this function. Feeling gives focus to the collected information, producing the amiable nature of this type. As perceivers, ESFPs do not linger on moral concerns unless it is in service of a Greater Good and/or a unifying cause.

Introverted Feeling

Auxiliary feeling is nonverbally implied more often than it is openly expressed. When expressed, this logic has an aura of romance and purity that may seem out of place in this flawed, imperfect world. In its own defense, feeling judgement frequently and fleetly gives way to humor. ENFPs who publicize their feelings too often may put off some of the crowd of friends they naturally attract.

Introverted Feeling

Feeling, which tends to decision-making in the interest of individual beings, is auxiliary to sensing. As with all introverted functions, feeling for ESFPs has a surreal, cryptic, quintessential nature. It is more often implied than verbally expressed, more apparent in countenance and deed rather than word or creed. Feeling takes care that playful pokes and pranks do no harm to the victim.

Extraverted Thinking

Thinking, the process which runs to impersonal conclusions, holds the extraverted tertiary position. Used on an occasional basis, ENFPs may benefit greatly from this ability. Less mature and lacking the polish of higher order functions, Thinking is not well suited to be used as a prominent function. As with other FP types, the ENFP unwary of Thinking's limitations may find themselves most positively mistaken.

Extraverted Thinking

This tertiary function is at the ready to give definitive answers when the world requires them. It provides a measure of balance to Introverted Feeling, allowing the ESFP some level of boundary and protection from those who would take advantage. When overused or overestimated, however, Thinking becomes a liability. ESFPs do well to seek out confirmation of the soundness of tough-minded decisions.

Introverted Sensing

Sensing, the least discernible ENFP function, resides in the inner world where reality is reduced to symbols and icons--ideas representing essences of external realities. Under the influence of the ever-present intuition, the ENFP's sensory perceptions are in danger of being replaced by hypothetical data consistent with pattern and paradigm. When it is protected and nourished, introverted sensing provides information about the fixed. From such firm anchoring ENFPs are best equipped to launch into thousands of plausibilities and curiosities yet to be imagined.

Perhaps the combination of introverted Feeling and childlike introverted Sensing is responsible for the silent pull of ENFPs to the wishes of parents, authority figures and friends. Or perhaps it's the predominance of indecisive intuition in combination with the ambiguity of secondary Fi and tertiary Te that induces these kind souls to capitulate even life-affecting decisions. Whatever the dynamic, ENFPs are strongly influenced by the opinions of their friends.

Introverted iNtuition

This function is least visible. As is the nature of the inferior (fourth) function, ESFP intuition lacks a sense of balance. This type seems most successful in deducing patterns and seeing connections only after a thorough examination of the facts (which process appears quite unorganized and haphazard to non-SPs). Although some ESFPs may develop such abilities, the mastery of logic, analysis and abstraction is usually difficult and wearying, and not very much fun.

MBTI Type
ENTP
One of my roommates is ESFP (originally I guessed he was ENTP, but I had him take the test), and his communication style is unlike anything I've ever encountered. He'll start talking about one thing, and in mid-sentence, he'll skew off on a tangent, then again, then again, then again, then again -- for about 10 minutes -- until he finally stops talking. Somehow all of the info he'd given was related to each other, but only he can say how.

It can be really frustrating if you're just looking for a simple answer to a question. "I don't want to know the history of eggs and chickens and ... wagon wheels ... dude, I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF WE HAD ANY EGGS!!"

Your first instinct was probably correct. That doesn't sound ESFP

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i think mad monkey style association hunting is common for both dominant sensing and dominant intuition, just the type of association differs.
even i do it, except only secretly, unless i am drugged.

(maybe MrMe would appreciate the associations more, if they were intuitive)

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm not sure how true or fair this is:

Look at the driving records for both of them. I'm willing to bet that if you look at the driving records for both a number of ENFP's and ESFP's, and take the average, overall the ESFP's are better drivers. :yes:

Also, I think
ESFP's: They can probably drive a stick shift with much less effort in learning how
ENFP's: Have a spare clutch handy at all times! :D

[I went to an abandoned parking lot trying to teach my ENFP friend to drive a standard... HILARIOUS!! I had to finally "call it a day" before he wrecked my clutch! He still doesn't know how!]

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
omg...so funny d@ve! i was 18 before i got my license because everyone was afraid to drive with me...several people tried to teach me...my enfp father was the first which i think made it worse because he was a terrible driver and drove with both feet....but other people tried and i was just so distracted by them and and it was hard paying attention to everything at once...i finally learned one day when i had to go to work and my boyfriend at the time couldn't take me...so...i got in and drove to work...haha...i just had to do it and did... :blush:

L

Lasting_Pain

maybe i'll paste some of it..
Extraverted iNtuition

The physical world, both geos and kosmos, is the ENFP's primary source of information. Rather than sensing things as they are, dominant intuition is sensitive to things as they might be. These extraverted intuitives are most adept with patterns and connections. Their natural inclination is toward relationships, especially among people or living things.

Intuition leans heavily on feeling for meaning and focus. Its best patterns reflect the interesting points of people, giving rise to caricatures of manner, speech and expression.

Extraverted Sensing

The dominant function of ESFPs is concerned with the reality that is perceived through the senses. This type's prime directive is to examine the tangible through taste, touch, sight, feeling and hearing. ESFPs' need for new experiences surely results from this function. Feeling gives focus to the collected information, producing the amiable nature of this type. As perceivers, ESFPs do not linger on moral concerns unless it is in service of a Greater Good and/or a unifying cause.

Introverted Feeling

Auxiliary feeling is nonverbally implied more often than it is openly expressed. When expressed, this logic has an aura of romance and purity that may seem out of place in this flawed, imperfect world. In its own defense, feeling judgement frequently and fleetly gives way to humor. ENFPs who publicize their feelings too often may put off some of the crowd of friends they naturally attract.

Introverted Feeling

Feeling, which tends to decision-making in the interest of individual beings, is auxiliary to sensing. As with all introverted functions, feeling for ESFPs has a surreal, cryptic, quintessential nature. It is more often implied than verbally expressed, more apparent in countenance and deed rather than word or creed. Feeling takes care that playful pokes and pranks do no harm to the victim.

Extraverted Thinking

Thinking, the process which runs to impersonal conclusions, holds the extraverted tertiary position. Used on an occasional basis, ENFPs may benefit greatly from this ability. Less mature and lacking the polish of higher order functions, Thinking is not well suited to be used as a prominent function. As with other FP types, the ENFP unwary of Thinking's limitations may find themselves most positively mistaken.

Extraverted Thinking

This tertiary function is at the ready to give definitive answers when the world requires them. It provides a measure of balance to Introverted Feeling, allowing the ESFP some level of boundary and protection from those who would take advantage. When overused or overestimated, however, Thinking becomes a liability. ESFPs do well to seek out confirmation of the soundness of tough-minded decisions.

Introverted Sensing

Sensing, the least discernible ENFP function, resides in the inner world where reality is reduced to symbols and icons--ideas representing essences of external realities. Under the influence of the ever-present intuition, the ENFP's sensory perceptions are in danger of being replaced by hypothetical data consistent with pattern and paradigm. When it is protected and nourished, introverted sensing provides information about the fixed. From such firm anchoring ENFPs are best equipped to launch into thousands of plausibilities and curiosities yet to be imagined.

Perhaps the combination of introverted Feeling and childlike introverted Sensing is responsible for the silent pull of ENFPs to the wishes of parents, authority figures and friends. Or perhaps it's the predominance of indecisive intuition in combination with the ambiguity of secondary Fi and tertiary Te that induces these kind souls to capitulate even life-affecting decisions. Whatever the dynamic, ENFPs are strongly influenced by the opinions of their friends.

Introverted iNtuition

This function is least visible. As is the nature of the inferior (fourth) function, ESFP intuition lacks a sense of balance. This type seems most successful in deducing patterns and seeing connections only after a thorough examination of the facts (which process appears quite unorganized and haphazard to non-SPs). Although some ESFPs may develop such abilities, the mastery of logic, analysis and abstraction is usually difficult and wearying, and not very much fun.

Nice read, thanks for the information!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i like some odd clothing combinations sometimes...and have this fuchsia fur vest that no one understands haha

I do! It's fuchsia and furry. What's not to like?

Or, is that just my S way of seeing it and there's something deeper to appreciate about it?

I'm not sure if I'd buy one though. ::huh::

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
omg...so funny d@ve! i was 18 before i got my license because everyone was afraid to drive with me...several people tried to teach me...my enfp father was the first which i think made it worse because he was a terrible driver and drove with both feet....but other people tried and i was just so distracted by them and and it was hard paying attention to everything at once...i finally learned one day when i had to go to work and my boyfriend at the time couldn't take me...so...i got in and drove to work...haha...i just had to do it and did... :blush:

LOL! Just like my sister Erina! Except my sister CANNOT drive a manual shift. :doh: Can you? :D

Whenever I am with my ENFP buddy, I try my hardest to make sure I drive if we are going somewhere. He hates that because HE likes to drive too! LOL! :rofl1:

L

Lasting_Pain

LOL! Just like my sister Erina! Except my sister CANNOT drive a manual shift. :doh: Can you? :D

Whenever I am with my ENFP buddy, I try my hardest to make sure I drive if we are going somewhere. He hates that because HE likes to drive too! LOL! :rofl1:

I can't drive, I am too scared to even get my license.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do! It's fuchsia and furry. What's not to like?

Or, is that just my S way of seeing it and there's something deeper to appreciate about it?

I'm not sure if I'd buy one though. ::huh::

no...pretty much because it's pink and furry....haha :)

although...i do sort of like to pretend i'm super fierce barbarian girl in the ice age haha

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
no...pretty much because it's pink and furry....haha :)

although...i do sort of like to pretend i'm super fierce barbarian girl in the ice age haha

That's what I would do too. Yea, baby! :D

Lena

MBTI Type
enfp
Holy hell raisers. There's so much wrong to address. I'm gonna use my ESFP sis as an example cuz I'm currently lazy to do it all functionally.

You're purposely scanning and reading people's "faces"? Did you know that's Se? And actually I'd say ESFPs know better when to SHUT UP cause they can Se-e the people's reactions.

K. Just kidding. Neither of you do. :) (but srs ESFPs are probably quicker... just at noticing whereas ENFPs don't.... notice. So yea, neitherrr.)

My ESFP sis could care less about sports in general. She's athletic and flexible, likes martial arts, working out in the natural environment (biking etc)-- she HATES working out in gyms with a passion. She's very much into the arts (+ english and the sciences/maths.... well she's good at them all, can't really say "very much" into. qq Strike that, sis corrected me. She IS very much into all of them. Thus, I am now bruised by her electric guitar..). She plays a few instruments but isn't as confident in drawing just yet. She has a good eye for it but doesn't care to practice ATM.

zz My sis' clothing sometimes lean towards a bohemian look. She deeply dislikes manufactured and mainstream crap, though she doesn't care ATM to do much about it since she's still a kid and has to rely on the folk's money. You mentioned a few of her biggest pet peeves. Teeth-whitening and tanning lotions. She also couldn't care less.

I'll tie this up to say.. StereoTyping is bad. Have a nice day!

Ok,I was a little exaggerating.I know not all ESFP's are the same.Knowing the good ones,and bad ones.:cheese:
This was just what I have seen,and most peoplein my world who are ESFP's are.

I meant that we're better at reading people's mind and emotions,don't know why I put faces in there.

ENFP'S ,generally,for sureknow better when to be quiet in situations.
We donotice,and are (of course) more intuitive and after people's acceptance and respect than ESFP's.Both types do like talking,but ESFP is known as the most talkative,and they usually can't say anything interesting.:newwink:

Have a nice day as well.:)

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
After reading all that, I might be ESFP even though I apprieciate and sense the deeper meanings.
I know this next q. is discussed in "can you change personality" but; Ever since I've been a druggie (was into recreational drugs) my personality changed into ENFP instead of ESFP. I didn't have bad eyesight before but I think that may be a reason to go with N instead of S. I hate glasses and I don't believe any type of glasses would suite for me. It's like caps. There just completely horrible and doesn't go well with my face at all. EWW.

Maybe I'm about 47 N and 53 S. or something like that. I'm still going around and tasting things that I do not know, like licking the door or other weird areas. Just have to know. And in other cases, I tend to space out a lot, spend time in a different universe.

I read faces a lot. But nowadays I feel it more than I read it. It just is. Before, I knew all the tell-signs about all things. That is the trouble about not being able to see but then again, I don't manipulate as much any more. Which was a setback I couldn't control, even if I wanted to. It was like a pattern my body moved after. And I had a clear view of the future, well, clear view of my thoughts. Less scattered.

OOT:
Have you noticed how people tend to notice and actually SAY that it rains? I mean, it's not like I didn't notice...
Standing outside, getting wet. I don't know, I find it incredibly........ insane to speak about. o_O

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
gtzk!!! you are NOT an esfp!! you may have developed se like i do but..you are an enfp...no mistake for sure.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Totally hilarious.
(What I meant was.. I have been a druggie, I am not a druggie. Except exceptionally high on life, nowadays. xD)
What? Where? o_O *laughed anyway...

Ok. Gotcha. I won't raise the subject again.

Last edited: