• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If Ti takes things apart, Fi...

G

garbage

evaluates situations subjectively?
applies one's morals?
represents core values?

Yeah, it is interesting to think about the core essence of these functions.. maybe this attempt to define is the Te in me talking ;)

Here is a reference of other attempts to capture Fi from the Socionics standpoint.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I want everyone to fill in the blank for my analogy as short and concise as possible. See above edit.
So..."If Ti takes things apart, then Fi..." Okay. Ti doesn't take things apart, it creates (Te takes things apart). So, what does Fi not do...It doesn't power submarines. Therefore,

"If Ti takes things apart, then Fi powers submarines."

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
So..."If Ti takes things apart, then Fi..." Okay. Ti doesn't take things apart, it creates (Te takes things apart). So, what does Fi not do...It doesn't power submarines. Therefore,

"If Ti takes things apart, then Fi powers submarines."

Really? I'm curious because I've heard the contrary for some time. I'd love for people to prove me wrong here.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
evaluates situations subjectively?
applies one's morals?
represents core values?

Yeah, it is interesting to think about the core essence of these functions.. maybe this attempt to define is the Te in me talking ;)

Here is a reference of other attempts to capture Fi from the Socionics standpoint.

Interesting to see the linguistic perspective from socionics. I have to read more up on that standpoint, from what segments I've read it seems to hold its own relative to MBTI.

Fi sifts virtue's substance.

Hmm, I found that quite dramatic at first, but reflecting on it, its not a bad defintion :D

"Fi clarifies intrapersonal virtues"?

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Hmm, I found that quite dramatic at first, but reflecting on it, its not a bad definition :D For me it would be something like "Fi organizes interpersonal virtues".

Hmm. I chose virtue in my example along the lines of Aristotle's definition of Virtue. Interesting.

Main Entry: virtue
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: honor, integrity
Synonyms: advantage, asset, character, charity, chastity, consideration, credit, ethic, ethicality, ethicalness, excellence, faith, faithfulness, fineness, fortitude, generosity, goodness, good point, high-mindedness, hope, ideal, incorruptibility, innocence, justice, kindness, love, merit, morality, probity, prudence, purity, quality, rectitude, respectability, righteousness, temper, temperance, trustworthiness, uprightness, value, worth, worthiness
Antonyms: dishonor, evil, immorality, vice

Keep 'em coming!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the "deconstruction" is more a product of logic itself, than of an introverted function. So Fi probably does not parallel that apsect of it. Te constructs, and Ti deconstructs in understanding the principles of how it works. Feeling is not about structures, per-se, except for perhaps relationships, yet since it is ethics and not logic, those structures are not handled the same way as logical ones.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Two more:

Substance is Essence
Makes intrapersonal virtues

The more I think about it, virtue seems best suited for covering such an expansive geographic environment of 'feelings.'

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
I think the "deconstruction" is more a product of logic itself, than of an introverted function. So Fi probably does not parallel that apsect of it. Te constructs, and Ti deconstructs in understanding the principles of how it works. Feeling is not about structures, per-se, except for perhaps relationships, yet since it is ethics and not logic, those sructures are not handled the same way as logical ones.

Hmm, on that basis would this definition be more accurate..?

"Fi is subjective formulation of intrapersonal values"

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
..determines their validity for the person using Fi?

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
I think the "deconstruction" is more a product of logic itself, than of an introverted function. So Fi probably does not parallel that apsect of it. Te constructs, and Ti deconstructs in understanding the principles of how it works. Feeling is not about structures, per-se, except for perhaps relationships, yet since it is ethics and not logic, those sructures are not handled the same way as logical ones.

Interesting. Your paragraph aroused a thought in my brain: Ethical through Logic; Logical through Ethics. As to whether or not you implied that, I read it as such. I think it's rational to live virtuously. They're separate entities yet share a symbiotic relationship.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Interesting. Your paragraph aroused a thought in my brain: Ethical through Logic; Logical through Ethics. As to whether or not you implied that, I read it as such. I think it's rational to live virtuously. They're separate entities yet share a symbiotic relationship.

It also has to be considered that Fi will be utilised by different types uniquely relative to their cognitive processes no?, i.e INTJ's Fi is tertiary and will be subject to the agenda of first Ni, Te, say compared to INFP, where it is dominant, but that is a question for another time, since we're dealing with, just defining Fi in terms of the Jungian functions.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
It also has to be considered that Fi will be utilised by different types relative to their cognitive processes no?, i.e INTJ's Fi is tertiary and will be subject to the agenda of first Ni, Te, say compared to INFP, where it is dominant, but that might be a question for another time.

Indeed.

Considering how this thread started off pretty shaky, I'd say anything Fi related discussion which pertains to a formulation of a definition (through the eyes of certain types) is fine by me. If that topic seems to catch more interest, I can just change the title of the thread. Perhaps, if that route is preferred, then maybe we could reexamine the original 'original' OP.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Indeed.

Considering how this thread started off pretty shaky, I'd say anything Fi related discussion which pertains to a formulation of a definition (through the eyes of certain types) is fine by me. If that topic seems to catch more interest, I can just change the title of the thread. Perhaps, if that route is preferred, then maybe we could reexamine the original 'original' OP.

That could provide more insight into how Fi functions, sure. A generalised definition of Fi is possible to approximate, but often people will discuss how Fi is utilised by them, in accordance with their cognitive processes. It is based inherently on intrapersonal, subjective feeling, so a logically translatable definition like Ti for Fi may not be as categorisable.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Fi deconstructs a situation from the inside. Rather than standing back and looking at the system like Ti, Fi throws you in the middle of it to understand it. Combined with Ne scenarios and consequences all play out. What it is like to be others in the situation plays out. It can be a crazy mix. And it happens insanely quickly.

It can sometimes be called subjective or rigid, or emotional. But the reason it appears this way is just a consequence of what it is. It is far easier to ignore what isn't staring you in the face. And I think this is the cause of most types gripes about things. That it is more clear and present to them, and unignorable, whereas for other types it might be just one of the things to consider.