• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What non NJs think about Ni?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Good description! We're a little like Dr Who's TARDIS - larger on the inside.
So doctor who, an entp, has an infj tardis.
See, our union was fated. :coffee:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont think Ni is pretty strong in NJ's; to the INTJ it can be analysis and to the INFJ it can be a highly personalized world, in which certain things provoke emotions, you cannot be aware of as an outstander.

You don't think it is strong in NJs? I thought it was INFJ's primary process. I'm just learning, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You don't think it is strong in NJs? I thought it was INFJ's primary process. I'm just learning, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

According to MBTI it is, but according to another model it is not:
Ethical intuitive introvert - Wikisocion

I cant tell which one is right or wrong but me and my girlfriend see more reality in the second model. This whole Fe, Ni story really does not fit with my INFJ girlfriend for example. She dreads Fe-like behaviour and she is in no way that unflexible to not completly dumb an idea and start on a new one.

She just needs those things to make sense to how she feels about it.

Maybe I have no clue about the functions but the second model does make more sense to me and works better with reality. More I would never try to get out of the typology stuff.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it's creepy and obviously evil... purely evil :coffee:

that's right, all you Ni folks are EVIL!!!! :rofl1:

actually, it's like my wonderous Ni, only perverted for some odd interior use that seems to drive people to think oppositely of me... it also tends to make people seem somewhat paranoid to me. :)

G

garbage

I think I experience it like your friend does. It feels like I see things as a whole and can tell you the big picture before I can tell you the bits and pieces of what's going on. I enjoy going back over the bits and pieces to discover which ones are crucial elements and help myself have a more thorough understanding.

That's probably a good way of describing Ni. The domain of my "big pictures" seems to be ideas and systems, and his seems to be behavior and people. The rest of your anecdote is similar to something he'd say--"How could you not see what that person was up to?"

I find that I can relate somewhat to his capability when I can treat a person like any other system. And like any system, I subconsciously apply a holistic categorization to it, which then tells me instantly how it can best be "used." Of course, it's less telling and more fallible than his approach, but I've been surprised by what it can tell me.

This may or may not be useful as a way to understand Ni.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't really understand what it is. Half of the descriptions make it sound like psychic powers and the other half make it sound like something that everyone with half a brain does. I guess it's somewhere in between...

I kind of think that's how most Ni types behave. Nearly psychic sage one moment, then half-witted twit the next.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hear tales of Ni.

he sounds like a pretty sketchy character.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
He's from Monty Python. One of the Knights of Ni! Ni! Ni!

redacted

I really have no idea what Ni really stands for.
For me intuition picks on paterns and things, external you know.

What is there to pick up within you? I mean, enough to keep you interested. And how do you relate to the external world.

em, explain ! NOW!

It's just intuition focused on your current thought process/unconscious state. It's depth based as opposed to breadth based. It feedbacks on itself as opposed to trying to make ideas about everything the user sees.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's just intuition focused on your current thought process/unconscious state. It's depth based as opposed to breadth based. It feedbacks on itself as opposed to trying to make ideas about everything the user sees.

Do you really think Ni primary works the Ti way you explained that, with that Fi notion ?

Or do you think as I do that being a N primary means insanity not rationality and that there is more to it to the whole NJ thing ?

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
What do I think about Ni?

I admire the Knights who say it.

I am both joyous at this splendid joke:happy2:, and sad that the amazing world of Ni is unknown to you. It is the world that creates worlds.

MBTI Type
ENTP
My preferred way of understanding the functions is in terms of each other. So, say, if Si means minimizing change, Ni means minimizing sensation.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
My preferred way of understanding the functions is in terms of each other. So, say, if Si means minimizing change, Ni means minimizing sensation.

While I think I would prefer to be more extroverted -- it would make so many social aspects of life easier, I LOVE my Ni. But I also consider myself a sensuous person. It is not sensuality without restraint, it is like saving something really special so you can savor it with all your physical senses. I think the Ni helps you imagine new things that will be sensually fabulous.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While I think I would prefer to be more extroverted -- it would make so many social aspects of life easier, I LOVE my Ni. But I also consider myself a sensuous person. It is not sensuality without restraint, it is like saving something really special so you can savor it with all your physical senses. I think the Ni helps you imagine new things that will be sensually fabulous.

well that sounds all sorts of scrumptious...let me have that ni...yum...yummm...thanks :D

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Ni people also tend to have Se, which is a lot more fun than Si.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's an analogy that occurred to me:

The inner world of the mind can be seen as similar to the internet, in that data is organised in "webpages" which can be linked in many different ways, or cross-referenced via "weblinks". In this analogy, Ni works in a similar manner to a web browser (such as Internet Explorer).

To put it another way, one of Ni's functions is to navigate through inner space. In this role it has no specific agenda of its own and remains somewhat detached from the information it unearths. However, its power is awesome! By clicking the mental mouse we can shift our frame of reference entirely, follow a data stream wherever it may lead us, zoom in to examine something in more and more detail, or zoom out to get a bigger and bigger picture.

There are also drawbacks: for example, just like the Internet, this ability is so entrancing that it is possible to whitter away hours chasing after elusive information or living entirely in an inner fantasy world. (As a dom Ni-type, I plead guilty to both of the above!).

Taking this analogy one step further, I would postulate that Si also deals primarily with this inner Internet, but in a different role - possibly a sort of curator who manages the data flow, enforces rules and procedures, assigns categories to new information and archives, catalogues and retrieves data. The "search" function may be an example of Si in action.

Now, I'm not an IT expert, so my analogy could be inaccurate, but it does feel like a good description of the way my own Ni operates. I'd appreciate feedback on this idea (ooer, that's putting my neck on the proverbial chopping block!) :eek:

redacted

Do you really think Ni primary works the Ti way you explained that, with that Fi notion ?

Or do you think as I do that being a N primary means insanity not rationality and that there is more to it to the whole NJ thing ?

What?