• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your fail-proof way of distinguishing S from N and vice versa

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think this is right -- S knows how to organize and utilize the real world. They're the people who can give you not only directions but instructions, for stuff that you may not have any great interest in as an N but you need to get it done. S knows a method and they can show it to you so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. S is good for teaching N to follow instructions, I think.

N can be extremely observant of details but it has to be something we're interested in.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
There are plenty of intelligent Sensors in the world. We have a few of them here even

I think we can safely say that there are plenty of stupid intuitives too... :smile:

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
What’s with all this direction stuff? I fail at giving directions.

pkr289

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've personally known some extreamly smart and extreamly stupid people of both types.
In the tests I have taken, many of the questions make me go WTF? at first and then I have to reread it once or twice to know what they're actually asking. I would think that N's would have an advantage as far as picking up on this type of thing faster, and since most are based on how fast you can complete them, they would probably score higher. I also would think that the S types, or at least SJ types, would be more thorough, I've personally always had extreamly high accuracy, but have gotten medium scores because I did it slower than most people.

But hey, what do I know, I'm just a n00b.

Oh and about how I figure out who's who, I usually just pick up on which one they extravert and then try to figure out where it is on their hirarchy.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Post ends with "...but isn't that a miracle in itself?..." <---ding ding ding. We have an N! :jew:

Lol, I'm going to use that at the end of everything.

"I left my keys in my other purse and my cat has some gastrointestinal problems...but isn't that a miracle in itself?"

Sorry this post is referring to something from 80 yrs ago. Sensors and intuitives? Best way to find out is to talk to them.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
One big difference between an S and N is:

The S is more practical, and cares more if something works or not rather than how. Less curious in general, and less creative and out-of-the-box thinking, but more down-to-earth.

I know for a fact that I really don't care how something works and I'm not that curious, I care more about getting the job done because in the end, that's what counts. I'm definitely not that imaginative either, but I am practical.

deleted
Is it true that an S will often need a context to something in order to grasp the idea? Or is that of an extroverted function?

I'm so involved in these generalities ;)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I know for a fact that I really don't care how something works and I'm not that curious, I care more about getting the job done because in the end, that's what counts. I'm definitely not that imaginative either, but I am practical.

But but what if you have a slightly different job? Knowing how it works could allow you to tweak the tool so it gets the job done better.
(So sue me if I only think it up, instead of executing.) :smoke:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Is it true that an S will often need a context to something in order to grasp the idea? Or is that of an extroverted function?

I'm so involved in these generalities ;)

I always like to be given examples when I'm being taught something. Unfortunately, not everyone's going to give you examples when telling you about something.

But but what if you have a slightly different job? Knowing how it works could allow you to tweak the tool so it gets the job done better.
(So sue me if I only think it up, instead of executing.) :smoke:

Okay, it is true that both aspects count. Together, both qualities make up greatness.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I always like to be given examples when I'm being taught something. Unfortunately, not everyone's going to give you examples when telling you about something.
Oooh ooh. I give examples! And analogies!
Okay, it is true that both aspects count. Together, both qualities make up greatness.

:cheers: we should do business, someday.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here's what I know to differentiate between a Sensor and an Intuitive

Sensors would have their feet on the ground
Intuitives would have their head in the sky

Sensors are usually up with the new fashion trend
Intuitives usually wears what they feel is comfortable

Sensors wants the facts and what is written down
Intuitives wants to dwell in theories, prove theories wrong and make new theories

Sensors will see details of an object
Intuitives will be reminded of memories relating to an object

Sensors are realistic
Intuitives are more unrealistic

Sensors see what is
Intuitives see what could be

Sensors see a small part of a situation
Intuitives see the big picture

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Here's what I know to differentiate between a Sensor and an Intuitive

Sensors would have their feet on the ground
Intuitives would have their head in the sky

Sensors are usually up with the new fashion trend
Intuitives usually wears what they feel is comfortable

Sensors wants the facts and what is written down
Intuitives wants to dwell in theories, prove theories wrong and make new theories

Sensors will see details of an object
Intuitives will be reminded of memories relating to an object

Sensors are realistic
Intuitives are more unrealistic

Sensors see what is
Intuitives see what could be

Sensors see a small part of a situation
Intuitives see the big picture

Agreed with all of those except the bolded part - clothing style. Most sensors I know are more practical and simple and will wear things that are comfortable. Intuitives are more creative, and will have a more varied style of clothing.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Agreed with all of those except the bolded part - clothing style. Most sensors I know are more practical and simple and will wear things that are comfortable. Intuitives are more creative, and will have a more varied style of clothing.

yeah I have a very simple clothing style..usually involves dark clothing greens and blues and black. And jeans of course! My INFP friend must wear a different outfit every time I see her! It's always different and interesting.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Off subject, but interesting.

In reference to the comments about handedness? There also seems to be a correlation between left-handedness and homosexuality and also addiction. Interesting.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Off subject, but interesting.

In reference to the comments about handedness? There also seems to be a correlation between left-handedness and homosexuality and also addiction. Interesting.
Yeah, I heard about the homosexuality link, but not the addiction. Don't know what it has to do with S/N, but interesting.