• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your fail-proof way of distinguishing S from N and vice versa

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think

Es women check their faces in the mirror and keep their mascara cleaned up from under their eyes, and always know what their hair looks like, and have shoe collections and can tell you who wears the same clothes every day and which brand of lip gloss is the best one because one is slightly less gloppy than the other or has more or less glitter.

Ens pull at their hair all day when they're thinking and by noon look like wild yubangees. They might put some makeup on in the morning but they never check it and by 2 pm it's half rubbed off. They look like they're wearing the same clothes every day but they're not -- it's just they find something that fits and they like it, so they buy a dozen of them. They tend to use lip balm and their eyes cross when Es girls discuss the relative virtues of various brands of lip gloss.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I think

Ens pull at their hair all day when they're thinking and by noon look like wild yubangees. They might put some makeup on in the morning but they never check it and by 2 pm it's half rubbed off. They look like they're wearing the same clothes every day but they're not -- it's just they find something that fits and they like it, so they buy a dozen of them. They tend to use lip balm and their eyes cross when Es girls discuss the relative virtues of various brands of lip gloss.
I have my favorite t shirt... 5 of them

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've noticed that the Ns like to end posts with questions. Sometimes the Ss do that too, but then usually it's a very specific question.

Post ends with "...but isn't that a miracle in itself?..." <---ding ding ding. We have an N! :jew:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I've noticed that the Ns like to end posts with questions. Sometimes the Ss do that too, but then usually it's a very specific question.

Post ends with "...but isn't that a miracle in itself?..." <---ding ding ding. We have an N! :jew:

So should I start internet-stalking people I know in real life?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think

Es women check their faces in the mirror and keep their mascara cleaned up from under their eyes, and always know what their hair looks like, and have shoe collections and can tell you who wears the same clothes every day and which brand of lip gloss is the best one because one is slightly less gloppy than the other or has more or less glitter.

I'm not really either, but fit way more of your second category than your first. I would probably label them instead of S and N, J and P respectively :)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually, I think this method may be vague enough to "work":
In my experience, S-types tend to make intelligent statements that cause me to think things like, "Hm. I guess that's true. Cool that he remembers that. But so what?" While N-types tend to make intelligent statements that cause me to think, "Oh my gosh! Of course! That's absolutely true because of XYZ. And now PQR makes sense as well!" And I get all excited and stumble over my words because my brain is whirling.

S-types tend to respond to my comments with expressions of patience and goodwill toward a harmless eccentric, or vague replies like, "Hm. I guess that's true. Cool that you thought that. But so what?"
A lot of times on this forum, it seems that illustrates the S/N divide: even with comprehension in the conversation, the question "So what?" remains between them.

Or maybe more generally, it's true about types that are unlike us, so that the more different our types, the more we would say "So what?" about the other's statements and questions.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I know a lot of smart Sensors.
They are often intelligent, very practical, but unimaginative.
That is the difference between a smart Sensor and a smart iNtuitive: Creativity.
Smart Sensors have the same superior reasoning skills as smart Intuitives.

Yes. We Sensors have more common sense smartness.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think

I'm a cross between those two. I have a vast shoe collection, but I will find an item I really like and buy it in many different colors. And I wear both lip gloss and lip balm. One for moisture and one for looks ;)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think

:doh: I knew I was an N. I knew it I knew it I knew it.

Snow Turtle

I like the theory about the humour! And I think it fits most of the people whose types I know for sure. To further explore humour but a little off topic I know I have noticed a dry humour from SJs and impressions used as humpur alot amongst the SPs I know. NFs seem more goofy with their humour and NT celebral sacastic humour! mmmm interesting now I just need to find some MBTI types for comedians with these types of humour!

I keep hearing it over and over again. What exactly is Goofy humour? :shock:
Otherwise... I love the NT humour. It's usually dark :devil:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I keep hearing it over and over again. What exactly is Goofy humour? :shock:

Making a fool out of yourself. Being out there. When we laugh at something goofy it's usually due to the "unexpected" factor. You know those WTF moments that make you laugh? That's goofy.

Snow Turtle

Making a fool out of yourself. Being out there. When we laugh at something goofy it's usually due to the "unexpected" factor. You know those WTF moments that make you laugh? That's goofy.

So... It's basically 4chan?

That's well random! Luls... And the general interwebs. :huh:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
So... It's basically 4chan?

That's well random! Luls... And the general interwebs. :huh:

No no no!Memes are an unworthy practice!The WTFness must come from within you!

There's no such thing as a 100% original idea, of course, but whoring a joke throughout the internetz is shameful if you ask me!

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But the people who started those 4chan jokes...right?

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
S's tend to use and apply what other’s have done. I know some very smart S's. They all work hard at learning their stuff, even the ISTP I know. They tend not to be very imaginative. And at least from my limited observation, tend not to care so much why something works only that it does. You might get an S who is a brilliant mathematician. Such a person might learn various theorems and mathematical techniques inside out in terms of how to apply and interpret them, but they might not care so much why these things work. I want to know "the why" behind everything. Makes learning a very slow process. I like N's because we are on the same wavelength, most of the time.

So you could potentially detect an S because they demonstrate a pattern of not caring about the meaning behind things. Sometimes they might miss what seem like obvious connections.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm very imaginative, but it's true that I don't care about the meanings of things.

Well, some things, but again, only if knowing that meaning is useful or practical to me in some way. Knowing just to know has no appeal to me.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Well, some things, but again, only if knowing that meaning is useful or practical to me in some way. Knowing just to know has no appeal to me.

For me learning has always been virtually impossible if I don't understand the meaning, or the big picture. I can't remember details that are not part of the puzzle.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Ask for directions.
Ask them to describe time.

S

Sniffles

There are plenty of intelligent Sensors in the world. We have a few of them here even, although one of the them decided to leave sadly.

At best one can say that N and S people tend to be intelligent in different ways.