• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your fail-proof way of distinguishing S from N and vice versa

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Source(s) please.
Oh god, just google it or trust me. The sources are real but don't ask me to do the boring 'ah here's my reference' thing.

Look for it yourself.

And as I said, it's only if you correlate IQ with intelligence, there's no concluant data here and I don't really care anyway.
Gifted childs are by the way told to have a much more intuitive approach to logics, skipping alot of steps most other people do consciously.

a little leap here but it seems to me this characteristic could be identifiable as a big picture 'N' thing rather than a S thing. So this could be a bias.

Now the real question is, do intuitive thinking influence results on the logical and knowledge tests one can find on an iq test?

(ps: you people should stop being all so sided. It's like watching children choosing sides or something, I was just giving some information, not giving an opinion)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Sounds like a good approach.
The mechanics. That's where it's at.

Teach it to me like I'm a five year old.
I'm a sensor ... after all. :devil:

Any "random" topic will do... Take your avatar. I noticed that you just recently changed it. Why? Why did you pick this particular one? What draw you to it?

Look at how detailed their explanations are. Do they focus more on what the picture is? Or do they focus more on the abstract qualities associated with the image.

Mine is a pine marten going after a chicken wing turned candy cane. It was to go with my april fool's name change to "bitewing". Do you see the abstraction? Bite (chicken) wing.

Answer of "I dunno, I thought it was cool" isn't enough to go on, but it usually comes from a P.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Oh god, just google it or trust me. The sources are real but don't ask me to do the boring 'ah here's my reference' thing.

Look for it yourself.

And as I said, it's only if you correlate IQ with intelligence, there's no concluant data here and I don't really care anyway.
Gifted childs are by the way told to have a much more intuitive approach to logics, skipping alot of steps most other people do consciously.

a little leap here but it seems to me this characteristic could be identifiable as a big picture 'N' thing rather than a S thing. So this could be a bias.

Now the real question is, do intuitive thinking influence results on the logical and knowledge tests one can find on an iq test?

(ps: you people should stop being all so sided. It's like watching children choosing sides or something, I was just giving some information, not giving an opinion)

Right brain/left brain dichotomy does not exists... The term catch on simply because people thought it sounds cool and society has been pushing so much for "out of the box" thinking... which ironically becomes yet another box.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Right brain/left brain dichotomy does not exists... The term catch on simply because people thought it sounds cool and society has been pushing so much for "out of the box" thinking... which ironically becomes yet another box.

... Ok so if somebody has a more developped right brain it's an optical illusion?
And if somebody is lobotomized and when he sees something with one eye he'll be able to name it, not with the other eye. (simple example)

what ur saying makes no sense at all.

there are more left handed people among the 'high iq' population for example.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

I think that's still up for grabs... although I can agree with you that the old version of it isn't real, but there does seem to be some evidence of the processing preferences being somewhat segmented (that reminds of a really interesting video from ted.com). I'd generally reject the concept of IQ being related to "one particular side", as it is an interactive effect. It just depends on which type of processing style pulls the most weight during IQ-questions.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh but I don't trust you. I think you made it up. It's my word against yours now.

The only correlation I have seen is J/left P/right and that is speculative/tenuous at best. Right brain processing is frequently described as "intuitive", but that's not the same as an MBTI N.

Ns do better in academia as a rule, that's true. I don't know about IQ tests - I don't think they demonstrate anything other than that the person is good at taking IQ tests.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
very vague idea now: what we call 'intuition' could be correlated with iq because of a difference in myelination.

for example the prefrontal lobe of 'gifted kids' goes through more myelination between 7 and 11 if i recall, speeding the transmission of information in local parts of the brain when the brain still has high elasticity. (contrary to the myelination older people go through when the brain structural elasticity is low).

So maybe, and i say maybe, depending on what structures are speeded up, the consciousness just doesn't pick on some processes anymore.
The brain elasticity aims to build efficient structures based on the usual activation paterns in the brain for different activities.
Conscious processes are useful but will tend to take a less important part of data processing if its speed vs result go bellow a certain level of efficiency.
If there's less conscious control over thought processes, it could lead to a more 'random' and less detailed analysis of things on the conscious level.

therefore that person would when consciously answering an mbti test describe herself as more N than S.

It's incomplete I know, just a vague idea.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The likelyhood of that having truth is so low that I'd be embarassed to suggest it before I did intense laboratory experimentation.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The likelyhood of that having truth is so low that I'd be embarassed to suggest it before I did intense laboratory experimentation.

I said it was a vague idea, i had little information to go on. but hey on the other hand u visibly hate everything in me including my taste in movies.

(And I think you suck very hard irl but that's off topic)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
very vague idea now: what we call 'intuition' could be correlated with iq because of a difference in myelination.

for example the prefrontal lobe of 'gifted kids' goes through more myelination between 7 and 11 if i recall, speeding the transmission of information in local parts of the brain when the brain still has high elasticity. (contrary to the myelination older people go through when the brain structural elasticity is low).

So maybe, and i say maybe, depending on what structures are speeded up, the consciousness just doesn't pick on some processes anymore.
The brain elasticity aims to build efficient structures based on the usual activation paterns in the brain for different activities.
Conscious processes are useful but will tend to take a less important part of data processing if it's speed vs result go bellow a certain level of efficiency.
If there's less conscious control over thought processes, it could lead to a more 'random' and less detailed analysis of things on the conscious level.

therefore that person would when consciously answering an mbti test describe herself as more N than S.

It's incomplete I know, just a vague idea.

You are equating "intuitive" with sub or pre-conscious thought i.e. traditional understanding of right hemisphere processing.

MBTI N vs. S doesn't test for that. It more about possibilities vs actualities.

Interesting (wacky!) theory tho'. ;)

EDIT

Don't mind Jack. He hates everyone.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You are equating "intuitive" with sub or pre-conscious thought i.e. traditional understanding of right hemisphere processing.

MBTI N vs. S doesn't test for that. It more about possibilities vs actualities.

Interesting (wacky!) theory tho'. ;)
wacky indeed.

Was just going a bit random to make the talk bounce out of 'good vs bad'.
Everybody knows james bond owns rocks, and he's the sensor for god's sake.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
As with any trait, there isn't a "fail-proof" test because 6+ billion people don't fit neatly into 16 boxes, let alone 2. You can make some rough generalizations and predictions, but nothing can ever be absolute.

THE RESULTS ARE IN FROM TEST OFFICE X.

Employees SP1, SJ1, NF1, and NT1 are staring out their office window, thinking....

SP1: "It sure is a nice day outside, I should be out there having fun."

SJ1: "It sure is a nice day outside, I should be home mowing the lawn before it starts raining."

NF1: "It sure is a nice day outside. 50 years from now, will those trees still be there to feed the descendants of these squirrels?"

NT1: "It sure is a nice day outside. Yes, this looks like a fine training ground for my army of animals that I will use to enslave the planet. Those squirrels will be my scouts."

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:rofl1: Jeff, you rock.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What type says, "I'm gonna kill myself if people don't stop talking about the weather. The weather is transient and doesn't matter."

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
What type says, "I'm gonna kill myself if people don't stop talking about the weather. The weather is transient and doesn't matter."
my answer to that would be "ur transient too, so it doesn't matter if you kill yourself."
:coffee: served with a smile!

where you talking about an infp?

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
In my experience, S-types tend to make intelligent statements that cause me to think things like, "Hm. I guess that's true. Cool that he remembers that. But so what?" While N-types tend to make intelligent statements that cause me to think, "Oh my gosh! Of course! That's absolutely true because of XYZ. And now PQR makes sense as well!" And I get all excited and stumble over my words because my brain is whirling.

S-types tend to respond to my comments with expressions of patience and goodwill toward a harmless eccentric, or vague replies like, "Hm. I guess that's true. Cool that you thought that. But so what?"

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
... Ok so if somebody has a more developped right brain it's an optical illusion?
And if somebody is lobotomized and when he sees something with one eye he'll be able to name it, not with the other eye. (simple example)

what ur saying makes no sense at all.

there are more left handed people among the 'high iq' population for example.
The right vs left brain theory merely indicates we have a tendency to use one hemisphere for somethings (like language, logics for left and spatial perception, holistic thinking for right). It does not mean we only use one hemisphere for something. Also the wiring for each person is highly variable. The hemisphere of the brain corresponds to the "correct" activity only in "majority" that is like 60-70% of the ppl. It's true that for certain tasks, like talking... some areas are more important than others and can be affected by brain lesions. (e.g. Broca's aphasia). But those tend to be very specific disorders. When you talk about something like intelligence which is a combination of many processes, your whole brain is involved. Not just the right hemisphere. This is my main objection.

The idea that creativity originates from some pattern of activation I agree to... it's just people generalize too much when it comes to using buzz words like "right-brain thinking" when what they mean is lateral thinking.

I need to bring in the point that IQ tests are changing in that they're focusing more and more on fluid intelligence. As in testing for something that's completely abstract (what's next in the pattern of shapes etc) and bears no resemblance to practical use for real life. If that's your definition of intelligence, then fine by default Ns win.

That's not what intelligence means to me though. To me, how effective and efficient somebody is at solving a problem... and consistently being good over numerous scenarios is a better indicator. I've seen many a times SPs out performing NTs...

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Hey, I was thinking this.. and, I have a theory. I would like someone to confirm it, if possible.

The humor. The Ss seem to be more inclined to use humor that is based on something that happened. Some funny stuff they saw or a funny joke they remember. The Ns usually imagine stuff that would be funny if it happened.

Me, I cant tell a joke (in the stand-up style), it is impossible for me, because it never comes out funny. But I often find stuff that is funny if looked at from an absurd perspective.