• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Percentage of each function? What does this mean to us?

dee

MBTI Type
Enfj
Enneagram
2+1
Ok, I know this is probably a bad question to ask. But, I've looked around some and coudn't find the answer...

Everyone has different percentages of each of their functions, so what does this mean for us, besides obviously that it will be stronger or weaker etc.

For example: wouldn't an enfj that scored high on the "j" be so different than an enfj that scored low on "j"...
and same for other types.

So how should one go about analyzing such things about themselves and others?

Can someone explain this to me as clearly as possible?
I'd appreciate it. :blush:
Thanks

G

garbage

This thread might be enlightening for you in terms of others' experiences.

In short, yes, you can probably expect a difference between someone who perceives himself as more J than someone else even if they are the same type. For example, I'd probably expect a strong ENFJ (and thus with strong J) to identify very strongly with type descriptions for ENFJ, whereas one with a weaker J might also identify with portions of the ENFP descriptions.

I welcome other thoughts on this, too.

dee

MBTI Type
Enfj
Enneagram
2+1
Thanks!
There is not much to say except for I wonder if it is possible to change your "percentage" , for a specific function. Meaning, if you have it, can't you work on getting more of it or less of it. It would make sense that it should be possible to a certain extent at least.

I mean, sometimes I wish I could be less J, cause I have a very high percentage, and I can get very stressed because of it. Or is it possible that I could learn to use it just when it's really important, and other times learn to be more chilled about planning etc.

Or even more importantly, lets say in children, if you can tell that they have a certain function, but would like to see them develop it more, is that possible, or does it basically stay around the same percentage your whole life?

I guess if it is impossible to make a significant change, then maybe thats what makes each of us unique, like, we can be similiar, but even the same type will have stronger or weaker functions, making us all relate to different situations, life, relationships, etc, all in a unique and individual way..... :)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i wouldn't look too much into it.

and also one can say, strong, moderate, or weak, it does practically the same thing, the actual percentages dont matter.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Probably every test question you've seen is an indirect attempt to decipher your true type. If they weren't indirect, they'd only need four questions, right? As such, they can't be relied upon to tell you anything which is important. After all, people test off-type all the time.

G

garbage

I mean, sometimes I wish I could be less J, cause I have a very high percentage, and I can get very stressed because of it. Or is it possible that I could learn to use it just when it's really important, and other times learn to be more chilled about planning etc.

Or even more importantly, lets say in children, if you can tell that they have a certain function, but would like to see them develop it more, is that possible, or does it basically stay around the same percentage your whole life?

That's just called learning and growing as a person, realizing that there's a time and a place for every preference. You'll learn that you can't always plan everything and that you'll have to adapt or keep your schedule open sometimes, even if you don't innately prefer to do so. Switching from one mindset to the other will become natural as you learn which circumstances require you to "be more J" and others to "be less J." Same with all of the other functions and preferences.

Your type more than likely doesn't change, which means that your natural preferences do carve out a unique niche in this world. However, there's always something that your natural preferences will miss, and so the rest will become more developed in time when they're needed.

As an ENFJ, perhaps take a look at this, if not just for an interesting discussion on how someone of your type might work on their "weaknesses."

dee

MBTI Type
Enfj
Enneagram
2+1
i wouldn't look too much into it.

and also one can say, strong, moderate, or weak, it does practically the same thing, the actual percentages dont matter.

I see your point, just being chilled about it, will help me chill....

That's just called learning and growing as a person, realizing that there's a time and a place for every preference. You'll learn that you can't always plan everything and that you'll have to adapt or keep your schedule open sometimes, even if you don't innately prefer to do so. Switching from one mindset to the other will become natural as you learn which circumstances require you to "be more J" and others to "be less J." Same with all of the other functions and preferences.

Your type more than likely doesn't change, which means that your natural preferences do carve out a unique niche in this world. However, there's always something that your natural preferences will miss, and so the rest will become more developed in time when they're needed.

I agree.
Thanks.