• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type with the best sense of direction?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Turn me around twice and I'm lost in my own back yard. I have zero sense of direction. Thank God for Mapquest, with verbal instructions, too, 'cause I can't read a map.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Definitely a Sensing ability...and I wouldn't be surprised if SPs are the winners.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I use google maps whenever I go somewhere new. I memorize the directions or write them down. I never have any problems. Street view works even better for me. Google Maps and a good pair of glasses work well when you're lost :)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Sometimes, I like to just go out, with no directions, and find my way, eventually..it's a great experience.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Sometimes, I like to just go out, with no directions, and find my way, eventually..it's a great experience.

I love doing this! It's a lot of fun and you never know what you can find along the way!

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I dunno. I use my intuition a lot when it comes to finding my way around unfamiliar places, and it always serves me well. Otherwise, I take whatever directions are available...

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Yay you proved my point. I'm the same type as you (and even the same enneagram type and wing and stacking) and I have a horrible sense of direction. Most often I have no idea where I'm going unless I've taken the route multiple times.

I have a theory (of course I do; I'm an INFJ) that some humans may be able to sense the Earth's magnetic field and use it to aid navigation, in a similar manner to the way birds do. Whatever, this seems to be a randomly distributed talent that has little to do with type (though I do know an INTJ female who has an even better direction sense than I do).

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would suggest that NP types have the most trouble distinguishing left from right. When my ENTP partner gets this wrong (every time!) I've taken to telling him: "No! the other left"!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I would suggest that NP types have the most trouble distinguishing left from right. When my ENTP partner gets this wrong (every time!) I've taken to telling him: "No! the other left"!

Hah, I do this quite frequently..I also get mixed up when a person is facing me, and is trying to get me to distinguish my right from their right..which is surprisingly on the same side! Who knew! :laugh:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have a theory (of course I do; I'm an INFJ) that some humans may be able to sense the Earth's magnetic field and use it to aid navigation, in a similar manner to the way birds do. Whatever, this seems to be a randomly distributed talent that has little to do with type (though I do know an INTJ female who has an even better direction sense than I do).
I have a lot of iron in my blood, so in certain states of being, I'll swing North.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

I do this too.

Maybe SJs are best because they remember their left from right :).

I know I don't have a bad sense of direction. My sister who is ISFP has a really good ability to follow her nose though. Enough that if you ask which way we are going she doesn't have a clue, but will get there with no mistakes.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Maybe SJs have such a great sense of direction because they are sooo observant as mentioned in another thread..

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Whatever type this little bad boy is.

pigeon.jpg

Sture

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hah
I have a super sense of direction. That's why I love walking around new cities (especially at night). I was in Atlanta about a month ago (also went out to decatur) when I had a day long layover there. I did as I always do, letting curiosity pull me around while exercising my Ne and Si, not being disturbed by having to memorise street names or worry about getting lost. It's almost like meditation. I love it.

Maybe SJs have such a great sense of direction because they are sooo observant as mentioned in another thread..

If they find their way because they're observant it's not their sense of direction they're using. All of you people talking about SPs I think are totally on the wrong track. You guys are not talking about sense of direction, you are talking about noticing and remembering physical things, which the SPs may well be the best at.

tnem

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I have always had an impeccable sense of direction.

Last edited:

PureWhispers

I'm pretty known for my sense of direction. The first time I went to NYC I learned my way around and remembered where oddly specific places were after just a couple of hours. My friend from New Jersey whom I met up with couldn't remember how to get to certain places she'd been to before that I'd only seen in passing just once. I'm also usually dead-on accurate with cardinal directions.

I think my college friends see me as a human alternative to Google Maps.

G

garbage

My sense of direction is pretty spot on, but I can't describe how to get to places worth a damn. But because of the latter, it took me a long time to trust the former.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I think this is more about spatial relations than type.... helps to have a sort of "built in" GPS as jock or w/e said it. or if it is about type, its how strong your sensing abilities are